Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Paint Question

SS LeadFoot

Correct. There are two steps to applying the ceramic coating after you have followed the many steps of prep work.

1. Application: This is where you apply it to the paint using a specific medium. The recommended technique is to put a small amount on application block/towel/microfiber applicator (depending on which ceramic coating product you have. CSC you can use either a towel or the microfiber applicator, and for the regular paint CC, you use the application block that should be included in the kit). A cross hatch pattern is recommended for applying from the applicator block/towel/microfiber applicator to the paint in small 2' x 2' portions of the paint. The cross hatch pattern is basically just to ensure coverage of the whole 2' x 2' portion of the paint. Then you wait the amount of time specified for the product to flash. You'll see it becomes to rainbow and look like oil on water while it's "flashing" on your paint.
  2. Leveling/Removal of Excess product: This takes place after you have allowed the product to flash. Using a towel (Adam's has Suede Removal Towels) you go over the product that you applied in the last step and remove all the excess, it should look pretty shiny. It shouldn't take too much effort or elbow grease. It normally levels off pretty easily. Make sure you take the time to get every part of the paint where CC was applied. I use this step also as a way of leveling or getting the product to be spread to an even layer. After all this you leave the coating to cure, preferably indoors, for an extended amount of time, dependent on the product you choose. You'll hear people talk about high spotsHigh spots will happen if you skip this step or if any of the CC that was applied doesn't get leveled/removed. They look like the following:
On 2/24/2019 at 6:43 AM, .Griff. said:

Not sure how well the photos will show up. Only had my phone on me, Can use DSLR later if necessary. 

IMG_20190223_171204.jpg

IMG_20190223_171152.jpg

IMG_20190223_171139.jpg

Note: High spots can happen after any SiO2 products, so make sure to go over them with a clean and dry microfiber. The photos above come from a thread where High spots happened after using Ceramic Boost 2.0. However, the most serious and hard to remove is created by CC.

If you notice any high spots while your CC is still curing, some people say you can simply use some BG to remove them. I have not tried that. If your high spots have fully cured, it is more than likely that you will have to polish in order to get rid of them.

I will look for a video that I think explains this process well.

7 hours ago, SS LeadFoot said:

Thanks for the reply. So as long as I wipe it down after applying cc  I should be ok? Also if I use the ceramic boost I do it like I would a detail spray then make sure it is dry?

Yes, you should be fine just wiping it down after it flashes. Ceramic Boost is used more like HGG, every month or so, and either wet or dry car. Don't apply it to fresh Paint Coating for at least 24 hours.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, SS LeadFoot said:

Thanks for the reply. So as long as I wipe it down after applying cc  I should be ok? Also if I use the ceramic boost I do it like I would a detail spray then make sure it is dry?

I think you should be okay if you take the time to wipe it all down after the flash period.

for ceramic boost, it’s recommended to apply it, like falcaineer said, 24 hours after applying cc ( right after the cure period of the cc). And that acts as a sacrificial layer to your cc.

beyond that use it as falcaineer recommended. Once a month-ish

you can use it as a drying aid (similar to ds or hgg) or you can apply it on dry paint. The bottle should have instructions for both application methods.