Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black Trim Restorer and Ceramic Trim Coating

DonJuan692006

Question

Hey folks, have a quick question that I feel like I know the answer to, but figured it wouldn't hurt to double-down and ask here.

I'm working on getting the sun-bleached rear diffuser on my 2011 Mustang restored. I have the trim pulled off the car sitting on a saw horse currently. My approach was to apply two coats of Black Trim Restorer followed up with a Ceramic Trim Coating topcoat. The directions on the Black Trim Restorer say to wipe off any excess, but is kind of ambiguous as to when. Should I be wiping the excess after letting it sit up for about ten minutes, or waiting the full cure time of six hours? As for the Ceramic Trim Coating; should I still hit the piece with Coating Prep after the BTR cures and before applying the coating, or, should I just skip that step completely? 

Before pics for attention.

MVIMG_20190505_160109.jpg

IMG_20190505_160104.jpg

8 answers to this question

When I use trim restorer, I do a small section, maybe a foot or so of the trim, and then using a second cloth rub it in to even it out.  The excess will get absorbed into the clock or evenly distributed.  If I think a second, third or even fourth coat needs to be applied I wait a couple of hours between.   My process has always been to use multiple thin coats allowing it to absorb and dry to ensure it is even in colorization and doesn't run.

Here's a video from Adam himself that might be of assistance in regards to the prep, restoration and coating:  

Thanks for chiming in. I'm good on the process for a single coat, but it gets foggy on the process for adding a second coat and/topcoating. I have watched Adam's video but he only mentions that it make be worth doing a second, but not the how. 

I've already applied a first coat, let it sit overnight and wiped it down this morning. Followed up with applying a second coat. I didn't wipe the excess with either coat after the initial setup and that appears to be fine. Just trying to get the Ceramic Coat right. My thought it that I should do a wipe for excess after the setup period, but am wondering if spraying the Coating Prep would do any harm or if it's even necessary in this case. I think yes to necessary and no to harm and was hoping to get a sanity check. 

I'm risk adverse when it comes to messing up a coating, so I would absolutely apply the coating prep before moving on to the coating itself.  As long as you are happy with the way it looks, the coating prep should change how it looks, but will ensure that it is contaminant free and the coating will adhere.  If by some small chance the coating prep does change the way it looks, don't apply the coating and take the necessary corrective action, then prep it again.

There is nothing better than a Red Mustang with Ceramic Paste Wax, it was unbelievable what it did on my '98 Mustang. 

Thanks folks.

The final process ended up being:

1. Scrubbed down with APC.

2. Scrubbed with TRC.

3. Apply BTR; let sit overnight (about 16 hours); wipe away excess.

4. Apply BTR; let sit for 24 hours; wipe away excess.

5. Wipe down with CP.

6. Applied coat of ceramic. Wait for one hour.

7. Apply second coat of ceramic. Waited three hours.

8. Reinstalled everything. She'll sit in the garage until Thursday.

Now, just to see how long it lasts.