Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove sticky pad residue from the dash?

falcaineer

Question

About to detail a new client's F150. Anyone have some tips on how to remove the sticky pad residue left behind on the dash from an old GPS/phone holder? I have tools like a steamer, plastic razor blades, etc, but looking for guidance first. Waiting for pics so will post if/when I get some. Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Gotta agree.  I've had good luck with Goo Gone.   Rubbing alcohol or white vinegar work too, but you have to watch because those two can take color out. Test it somewhere where it won't be seen first.   Good luck Buddy. 

You can use a tar/adhesive remover. But do a test spot first. These things can be pretty harsh products and not all materials tolerate them well.

if it’s a plastic type surface, it shouldn’t be an issue. The best residue remover we have is the tar/adhesive remover that we let sit for a few minutes then scrape with the plastic razor blade. Steam can be helpful to loosen the adhesive as well. But the chemicals work really well. 

On 6/8/2019 at 6:55 PM, RayS said:

Besides Goo Gone, WD-40 will remove sticky stuff in most cases - as other stated, find a test spot first.  I've never had an issue, but no need to take chances.

^^ I use WD-40 for most "sticky residue" issues. And I'll also reiterate.... always try a test spot first.

Edited by MacA

12 hours ago, MacA said:

^^ I use WD-40 for most "sticky residue" issues. And I'll also reiterate.... always try a test spot first.

Thanks. Adams now makes TAR that I'd give a shot with now, as well. But like you said, test spot first.