Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Needing some help with what to do on these. The trim pieces on a few of my cars always seem to spot/streak pretty badly. Even if dried well, the streaks always pop up. Is there anything I can put on them to keep it from doing this?

 

4048E9F8-E3E6-450C-B932-86ABAC251C94.jpeg

Edited by Carter Bowen
Pictures weren’t displaying correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pics are not showing up for me. My first thought would be to clean the trim thoroughly with APC and a microfiber utility towel then apply VRT, or H2O GG. Or you could apply the ceramic trim coating. That is a more involved process though and requires much more cleaning steps. And because I cannot see the pics I am jumping to conclusion you are referring to plastic trim.

Edited by Junior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Junior said:

Pics are not showing up for me. My first thought would be to clean the trim thoroughly with APC and a microfiber utility towel then apply VRT, or H2O GG. Or you could apply the ceramic trim coating. That is a more involved process though and requires much more cleaning steps. And because I cannot see the pics I am jumping to conclusion you are referring to plastic trim.

I will give it a try!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carter,

 

           Looking at the pic, I wonder if you have some dripping going on post wash. Maybe take a leaf blower to the area and check to see if you get a lot of water blasting out of there. That might take care of the issue for you. It might also be a good idea to just hit it with some detail spray and a plush microfiber towel even after drying. Can you describe your care of the trim during the wash process? Are you using a  wash mitt on the trim? Being that looks like piano black trim, I would be careful using anything aggressive like a brush. Also, are you using a decent towel and detail spray  to dry it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actually looking at it once more, it appears these water spots are more of the semi permanent type and not from a recent wash. I am thinking clay then try some glaze and see if you can knock it out. If neither of those two does anything, you could be looking at polishing it out by hand using Revive. Obviously after doing any of these it would be a good idea to apply wax or sealant.

Edited by Junior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Junior said:

Carter,

 

           Looking at the pic, I wonder if you have some dripping going on post wash. Maybe take a leaf blower to the area and check to see if you get a lot of water blasting out of there. That might take care of the issue for you. It might also be a good idea to just hit it with some detail spray and a plush microfiber towel even after drying. Can you describe your care of the trim during the wash process? Are you using a  wash mitt on the trim? Being that looks like piano black trim, I would be careful using anything aggressive like a brush. Also, are you using a decent towel and detail spray  to dry it?

The dripping may be possible, but usually I wipe it off once more after the initial drying. Usually detail spray and a good microfiber is what I use on it, but it’s more so the streak that appears on it that’s bothersome. Nothing engrained in the trip, just on the surface. I’ll try a couple of these steps in my next major detail!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I would try glaze if it were me. Easy on easy off and has some cleaning/filling ability. Then I’d probably hit it with some H2O Guard or one of Adams many sealants or waxes to protect it.  You could even go with Ceramic for the ultimate protection. Do you have a polisher if it comes to that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junior said:

Yeah I would try glaze if it were me. Easy on easy off and has some cleaning/filling ability. Then I’d probably hit it with some H2O Guard or one of Adams many sealants or waxes to protect it.  You could even go with Ceramic for the ultimate protection. Do you have a polisher if it comes to that? 

Not currently, but I may invest in one if this persists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junior said:

Yeah I would try glaze if it were me. Easy on easy off and has some cleaning/filling ability. Then I’d probably hit it with some H2O Guard or one of Adams many sealants or waxes to protect it.  You could even go with Ceramic for the ultimate protection. Do you have a polisher if it comes to that? 

 

2 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

I would try Revive Polish with a MF Pad. Once you get them removed make sure you put on some protection so it doesn't happen again.

 

Is there a certain forum that goes into good detail about claying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carter Bowen said:

 

Is there a certain forum that goes into good detail about claying?

Are you asking about how to use a clay bar? Or is there a specific question yo have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out I didn’t need the clay at all! Just a thorough cleaning, detail spray, and a little H20 G&G did the trick! I figured out it was more than likely overspray and soap residue. 

80D8A4E4-6C53-4E64-B53C-887D6F503AB1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...