Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratch in Windshield

Vinnrox250

Question

Hey everyone!

So on my commute to work I had a truck threw up a rock that caused a pretty decent size scratch on my windshield, there’s no cracks. But I wanted to see if this is something I can tackle with my DA and a compound or polish and an orange pad. Or any other ideas/options. Not sure if any of the awesome products Adam’s has will even help me here, but figured I’d ask. 

It’s not severe enough for the windshield to be replaced but not sure what actions I can try to take before having to take it to a glass company for a repair. 

Thank you! 

24231C06-F7FC-41DF-AF7F-5A5DCBF75883.jpeg

E260A764-28F1-471A-A999-77B05D62CD45.jpeg

9 answers to this question

@RayS that is an idea I haven’t even thought of! This is what I was looking for. Most of the chip/scratch is something that feels more like a scuff. There really is no damage, it’s mainly just cosmetic. Kind of hard to explain. But #0000 steel wool may do it. 

Should i I try that and detail spray, or glass cleaner? 

If that doesn’t do the trick, I will likely have it repaired by a local glass company; Binswanger. Think it’ll only be $70 so not too bad. Don’t want a new windshield though. They never are as good as what was installed with factory. Lol. I’m stupid OCD. 😋

@RayS thank you very much!!!! I just attempted this and it removed most of the “marred” or “scuffed” glass. I do still have some scratches that remain but I may try and live with it. 🤷🏼‍♂️ We will see. Ha. 

This may be a stupid question but can #0000 steel wool scratch the glass? I haven’t used this before. I’m not sure that me giving it another go would yield any better results, but it is a little better than it was prior to me doing this. 

3242CEC6-010B-4F85-85C5-C81A5377A838.jpeg

If you carry comprehensive coverage, your may not have to pay anything out of pocket for repairs (vs. replacement) at a glass shop. I just had some pretty big chips repaired at no cost go me. Call your insurance company and ask...

@RayS  thank you very much! I did soak the area with detail spray and  give it a little bit of elbow grease, but if I give it another shot tomorrow, I don’t want to risk of exposing that area to too much abuse. Haha. I really appreciate the tip!!

@falcaineer  it’s funny you say that, my insurance agent called me today advising that my renewal is coming up. The good news is it didn’t go up! Woohoo. I’ll have to ask her about this.  I carry full coverage on both vehicles but it was my understanding windshields weren’t covered. My previous agent a couple years ago with farmers advised me that in the state of Texas windshields aren’t covered regardless of the policy you carry, as windshields don’t last very long here. (Go figure) But I’m going to ask my lady at Allstate if a repair is something that’s covered. Maybe my previous person was misinformed. Thank you!

I typed this whole thing and then it got wiped out so I had to retype it. 😒 Sorry if any typos. Was going fast and using Siri, and she isn’t very reliable lol. 

Edited by Vinnrox250

1 minute ago, Vinnrox250 said:

@RayS  thank you very much! I did soak the area with detail spray and  give it a little bit of elbow grease, but if I give it another shot tomorrow, I don’t want to risk of exposing that area to too much abuse. Haha. I really appreciate the tip!!

@falcaineer  it’s funny you say that, my insurance agent called me today advising that my renewal is coming up. The good news is it didn’t go up! Woohoo. I’ll have to ask her about this.  I carry full coverage on both vehicles but it was my understanding windshields weren’t covered. My previous agent a couple years ago with farmers advised me that in the state of Texas windshields aren’t covered regardless of the policy you carry, as windshields don’t last very long here. (Go figure) But I’m going to ask my lady at Allstate if a repair is something that’s covered. Maybe my previous person was misinformed. Thank you!

Good luck! Windshield damage/replacement is notorious here in CO. We don't use sand here...rocks, baby! 🤦🏻‍♂️😢