Customer Service 866.965.0400

Vinyl Hood

deedle

Question

HELP!  I recently Ceramic coated my camaro and had some streak in places around the car.  Went with the Briallant glaze method to correct them and it worked perfectly....except on the hood!!  Attached are pics of the current state of the Matte Black Vinyl hood.  Note, it hasn't looked this bad until after my last wash...which wasn't any different to previous washes.  All Adams products used for everything.

Hood.jpg

Hood2.jpg

7 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Hamilton Detail said:

Which coating did you use?  The paint coating or the spray coating?  

Used the paint coating. 

Note: the hood has been finished with brilliant glaze to remove the streaking....to get this result. 

1 hour ago, deedle said:

Used the paint coating. 

Note: the hood has been finished with brilliant glaze to remove the streaking....to get this result. 

I'm assuming the ceramic residue was removed when installing correct?  

If install procedure was followed correctly, Adam's paint coating may not play well with vinyl.  My shop uses other brands for coatings, so I'm not sure about Adam's.  I would go ahead and remove the coating off the hood by polishing.  

If you would like, I can message you the coatings I've used that works very well on vinyl.  

Adams will work on vinyl, but thorough buffing is critical. 

If you buff it further does it improve or change at all?  It’s hard to say if it’s a glaze issue or a coating issue. 

We typically use polish to remove excess coating as opposed to the brilliant glaze method. If the coating was fully cured (which I assume it was if you’re washing), I’d say this is a glaze issue. 

What did it look like after washing when it looked like that?

Rewash. Buff. If that doesn’t work, I’d polish it out and reapply coating. 

2 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Adams will work on vinyl, but thorough buffing is critical. 

If you buff it further does it improve or change at all?  It’s hard to say if it’s a glaze issue or a coating issue. 

We typically use polish to remove excess coating as opposed to the brilliant glaze method. If the coating was fully cured (which I assume it was if you’re washing), I’d say this is a glaze issue. 

What did it look like after washing when it looked like that?

Rewash. Buff. If that doesn’t work, I’d polish it out and reapply coating. 

Should I buff by hand or machine?  SK 15mm?