Customer Service 866.965.0400

Q - what to apply OVER first coating?

TOBASCO

Question

I recently applied Adams Ceramic Paste (got it as part of my mystery kit) to my Genesis G70 and liked the results.  But in order to keep it as clean and shiny longer term, I'm wondering what you guys are using after that.  I have some Ceramic Boost which I've used to detail the car every once in a while.  Question - is there a limit to how often it should be used?  Is too much a bad thing?

Then, I'm wondering at what point should I consider another coating?   And would it be ok to apply a different Adams Ceramic coating, like the spray or liquid?

Any other suggestions for ongoing maintenance?    Appreciate your responses.

7 answers to this question

While I am no expert on this and I am sure others will chime in, I have been researching and asking questions abut the different products in the ceramic family.  I knew what the ceramic coating was and the process of applying it.  As for the CPW, I learned that it is good for 6 month or so, and Ceramic boost can be used on top of the wax as you would with the Adams Detail spray.  I was told ever 4 weeks or so add the boost to the surface after you wash the car. 

^ Correct. I would use Ceramic Boost about once every 4 - 6 weeks.

And for the Ceramic Paste Wax, I think you're right about 6 - 8 Months depending on the conditions the vehicle is kept under. Fore example mine is kept outside almost 100% of the time, so I would think about applying another coat in 5-6 months.

@Tobasco you should try the Ceramic Spray Coating. That product is awesome.

The Liquid Ceramic Wax like you mentioned is very similar to the paste, just in a liquid form instead of paste form. I used it on top of my Ceramic Spray Coating and loved it.

Anything in the SiO2 infused line is meant to maintain your coating. I wouldn't use the Boost anymore than every month or so.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adams-ceramics/sio2.html

As for another coating, you should get 1-2 years on your traditional coating, but you can certainly use the Ceramic Spray Coating as a topper. Just be sure to clay beforehand with the fine grade clay. 

Slightly off topic, but relevant to this....I did my truck with the Ceramic Liquid Wax (was told it was identical to the CPW, but in liquid form by Adams).  How do you determine if the CB is building up?  I use CB every time I do a maintenance wash on my truck (once a week), but my truck also lives outside being it doesn't really fit in my garage so I think the CB takes a bit more of a beating.  I haven't really noticed any weird streaks or anything from the CB, so not sure if I should just keep doing what I'm doing or not?

I'm interested in nateeric's question too.

So I guess my main question is that if I decide to use another ceramic coating, can I apply it over the base coat of the Adams Ceramic paste, or do I need to strip off and start from scratch?

Or can I just apply the ceramic spray (which I have) over the base coat in 5-6 months?  I'm assuming so, but thought I'd ask for sure.

5 hours ago, nateeric said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant to this....I did my truck with the Ceramic Liquid Wax (was told it was identical to the CPW, but in liquid form by Adams).  How do you determine if the CB is building up?  I use CB every time I do a maintenance wash on my truck (once a week), but my truck also lives outside being it doesn't really fit in my garage so I think the CB takes a bit more of a beating.  I haven't really noticed any weird streaks or anything from the CB, so not sure if I should just keep doing what I'm doing or not?

Every time is overkill. Using too much can affect visual clarity, and may eventually streak, etc. I recommend you back off to once/month or so, or every 4 washes (ish). Consider using Ceramic Waterless more often if the need/urge strikes you.

5 hours ago, TOBASCO said:

I'm interested in nateeric's question too.

So I guess my main question is that if I decide to use another ceramic coating, can I apply it over the base coat of the Adams Ceramic paste, or do I need to strip off and start from scratch?

Or can I just apply the ceramic spray (which I have) over the base coat in 5-6 months?  I'm assuming so, but thought I'd ask for sure.

Coatings need to bond to bare paint, so you will need to strip the Paste Wax off for sure. And be sure to use the Surface Prep, too. For coatings, prep is everything!

You can certainly use the Spray Coating as a topper for the traditional coating, but recommend you wash (of course) and clay with the fine grade clay first.

Yes, the Ceramic Waterless Wash is much better as a more often Detail spray type of product. I ceramic coated a relative's vehicle, and I gave her the Ceramic Waterless Wash to use as a drying aid or as a detail spray, and it works! I don't think shes even used CB at all, and I saw the car yesterday. The gloss she has is incredible, and hydrophobics are still crazy! It's been months since I ceramic coated it. << All this to say I support the idea for Ceramic Waterless Wash.