Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thoughts on Clay Bar vs Clay Mitt

TOBASCO

Question

I've been using a clay bar for years, but heard of the newer clay mitt that seems like it would solve the #1 issue of the bar - that it might fall out of your hands and onto the ground.  But, it is the mitt as good as a clay bar?

Adam suggests that it's not quite as good, but I was wondering what the general opinion of the detailers on this forum think.  I'm wondering if a prime use of the mitt might be for a quick clay prior to a backup coat of ceramic coating after 5-6 months, and maybe even for a quick windshield clean before a sealant.

Thoughts?

2 answers to this question

I have a clay towel, but it is the same principal as the clay mitt.  I ONLY use the clay alternatives (towel, mitt, pad on a DA) if I am polishing the car, as they are not as mild as the fine clay bar.  For a decontamination of the coating, I would recommend a clay bar.

I use the mitt prior to polishing on the daily drivers.  I do not use the mitt on Black vehicles, vehicles with soft paint or show/classic cars and for those I stick with the clay bar.  I have noticed that I use more lube with the mitt or at least it seems that way.  When you are doing that 2-10 year old vehicle that's never had a true decom or detailing, the mitt is perfect for cleaning it up and preparing for a polish.