Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail spray

Oneplumb

Question

I'll give you my experience. My Viper is CQuartz coated, and I find the (pink) Detail Spray does not play nice with it. However, the (purple) Matte Detail Spray does. Usually, I just go over it with Ceramic Boost, and call it done.

General rule is not to interchange product families. Detail Spray is carnauba based, while coatings are silica. The Adam's ceramic line is designed for use with a coating, and silica-infused products for maintenance. While I agree with above for use of Ceramic Boost, it's really only designed for every month or so. It will build up over time with frequent use and could cause some visual clarity issues, streaking, etc. In between Boost applications, and for quick wipe-downs, I'd highly recommend the Ceramic Waterless. Treat it like a "ceramic Detail Spray" and you'll be a happy camper!

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adams-ceramics/sio2.html

On 6/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, falcaineer said:

General rule is not to interchange product families. Detail Spray is carnauba based, while coatings are silica. The Adam's ceramic line is designed for use with a coating, and silica-infused products for maintenance. While I agree with above for use of Ceramic Boost, it's really only designed for every month or so. It will build up over time with frequent use and could cause some visual clarity issues, streaking, etc. In between Boost applications, and for quick wipe-downs, I'd highly recommend the Ceramic Waterless. Treat it like a "ceramic Detail Spray" and you'll be a happy camper!

The Ceramic Waterless also works well on the Ceramic Paste Wax since the the most you want to use the Ceramic Boost is about once a month.

36 minutes ago, RayS said:

The Ceramic Waterless also works well on the Ceramic Paste Wax since the the most you want to use the Ceramic Boost is about once a month.

Absolutely right! The beads I get with that very combo are incredible!!

IMG_20190322_193257.thumb.jpg.7d9ec61f83f0cfec53bf4847685b9cad.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, falcaineer said:

Hmmmm, now that I have 3 bottles of Detail Spray and 0 bottles of Ceramic Boost I learn this. Since BOTH of my cars have ceramic coatings, what do you suggest I do with all of this Detail Spray? I don't think I can use it on the interior, correct?

27 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

Hmmmm, now that I have 3 bottles of Detail Spray and 0 bottles of Ceramic Boost I learn this. Since BOTH of my cars have ceramic coatings, what do you suggest I do with all of this Detail Spray? I don't think I can use it on the interior, correct?

You could always use the Garage Sale forum and try to make a trade (friendly reminder - no selling of Adam's chemicals allowed on here). It can be used on nav screens and chrome trim, but 4 bottles is a lot for such minimal use.

31 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

You can use the DS, however the Boost will help the life of your Ceramic Coating the DS won't.

4 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

You could always use the Garage Sale forum and try to make a trade (friendly reminder - no selling of Adam's chemicals allowed on here). It can be used on nav screens and chrome trim, but 4 bottles is a lot for such minimal use.

I received all of them in Mystery Boxes. I thought I could use it on the ceramic coating as a Quick Dry or between Boosts. But I guess that is off the table now.

Thanks for the idea. Maybe it will be a Christmas present!!!

3 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

I received all of them in Mystery Boxes. I thought I could use it on the ceramic coating as a Quick Dry or between Boosts. But I guess that is off the table now.

@Chris@Adams added above it can still be used, so news to both of us. Thanks, Chris!

Agreed with both @Rich and @falcaineer You can use Detail Spray on interior or really any surface other than a car. I use it on my computer screens at work,  my lamp, and on my Dundie Trophy and my file cabinets. I use it to clean my phone and my watch and really anything I see that needs some sprucing. It's really a cool product. 

I also will use it on my ceramic coated car. I don't very often because I know that it can effect the hydrophobic effects of the ceramic coat. But it's quick, and it's easy, and the smell is iconic. Sometimes I miss the nice Detail Spray glow. And if I don't have easy access to something like a Ceramic Waterless wash I'll use detail spray. Still looks great on a ceramic coat, but I don't want to do it everytime so I don't ruin the point of having a ceramic coat.

23 hours ago, SgtLip said:

Here, I posted about a quick wash I did with Detail Spray on my ceramic coating (my post is on Page 3).  I realize the post is highlighting the Mega Foam's performance, but just so you can see photo evidence of what it Detail Spray looked like aesthetically on the ceramic coating.

I still remember getting my first bottle of Detail Spray and wiping down the garage queen and thinking that my garage had never smelled that good.  Then my daughter showed up and my first bottle was gone.  The second bottle didn't last much longer since it found its way into the screen room to wipe down tables, counters anything else that collected dust or pollen, so I bought my first gallon after that.  

Waterless Wash is another product that has 1001 uses and it doesn't matter which product line.  Computer keyboards, piano keys, electric guitars (no I don't play), game controllers, electronics of all types, just spray the waffle weave towel with a few squirts and then wipe down the item.  

20 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Here, I posted about a quick wash I did with Detail Spray on my ceramic coating (my post is on Page 3).  I realize the post is highlighting the Mega Foam's performance, but just so you can see photo evidence of what it Detail Spray looked like aesthetically on the ceramic coating.

Thanks, I went and looked at the past thread and watched all of the videos. I have a gallon of Car Shampoo plus a 16 oz bottle. I think I'll use it until I get everything sorted as to what to use on Ceramic. I have the Lexus with ceramic on paint and the Subaru with ceramic on vinyl wrap.

9 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Anything on the silica-infused site is perfect for coatings. And you can think of Ceramic Waterless as a detail spray-equivalent for ceramics. Hope that helps!

It does, its all of the other stuff that has me confused still. 

I purchased Car Shampoo not knowing MegaFoam was the better choice. I'm learning there are other MF towels that I don't have for ceramic products that I now need.

I know I'm not the only person with a vinyl wrap. I'm just finding it difficult to understand what to use and not to use. I'm not a detailer or chemist. I know how to wash, dry and wax (old school) a car. I was told I needed to get it ceramic coated so I did. Now I'm trying to learn all over again. Too many products and when you watch a video it isn't always clear if that applies to ceramic. 

Just me trying to figure it all out. I'm just finding vinyl wrap doesn't really get addressed. Sorry for so many dumb questions.

1 hour ago, SgtLip said:

I purchased Car Shampoo not knowing MegaFoam was the better choice. I'm learning there are other MF towels that I don't have for ceramic products that I now need.

I know I'm not the only person with a vinyl wrap. I'm just finding it difficult to understand what to use and not to use. I'm not a detailer or chemist. I know how to wash, dry and wax (old school) a car. I was told I needed to get it ceramic coated so I did. Now I'm trying to learn all over again. Too many products and when you watch a video it isn't always clear if that applies to ceramic. 

Just me trying to figure it all out. I'm just finding vinyl wrap doesn't really get addressed. Sorry for so many dumb questions.

First, there is no such thing as a dumb question, except the question that isn't asked.     

I've been doing detailing to various levels for ~40'sh years and have never stopped learning.  Just a couple of weeks ago I had to purchase a new polisher and got a 15 mm Swirl Killer and it was as if I'd never had one before, it was rather fun learning something new.  The SK was not different than when I moved from the old vendors to Adam's, there were plenty of differences and I took my time to test many products, thanks to the Mystery Boxes, and spent countless hours reading on what Adam's products were the equivalent or similar to the other vendors.

I still have a mix of several vendors towels and will replace them as they wear out with Adam's towels.   Then there are products that I had nothing similar, such as Waterless Wash and Brilliant Glaze and when I start my switch, Ceramics were limited to professional applications with a few limited exceptions.  All of this is to say, that since you are on the ceramic line, stick with it for the exterior, it is excellent and easy to use.   The non-ceramic products you have won't go to waste and you won't have to buy as many household cleaning products.

Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions or ask for additional details, this site is full of outstanding people that helped me make my migration and I can assure you that I believe in paying it forward and helping others.

11 hours ago, SgtLip said:

Yes, to add to what @RayS said, there's no bad question. We understand that the number of products and their purpose can be overwhelming, and we're happy to help walk through those things with you on here. It is a learning process, and you're not expected to have everything. We all started off with a single product (or some of us started with a mystery box) as an introduction to Adam's and got further into it over time. So please continue to engage with us and ask questions, that's what makes Adam's Forums great.

Now, I want to apologize for introducing any confusion yesterday. My post above in the "Mega Foam" thread, was simply to show you that I used the Detail Spray on a ceramic coating since the conversation had previously been about how you have a few bottles of detail spray, and didn't know if that was acceptable to use on your ceramic coated vehicles... I understand how I could have miscommunicated but let me try to clear that up: I wasn't sharing that post to communicate that you have to get the Mega Foam, nor was it to say that Mega Foam is superior to Car Shampoo. In fact, I think it's perfect that you have a gallon of Car Shampoo. Adams Car Shampoo is well known as one of the (if not THE) best car soap on the market. I go through car shampoo more than any other product. It's the best. 

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Yes, to add to what @RayS said, there's no bad question. We understand that the number of products and their purpose can be overwhelming, and we're happy to help walk through those things with you on here. It is a learning process, and you're not expected to have everything. We all started off with a single product (or some of us started with a mystery box) as an introduction to Adam's and got further into it over time. So please continue to engage with us and ask questions, that's what makes Adam's Forums great.

Now, I want to apologize for introducing any confusion yesterday. My post above in the "Mega Foam" thread, was simply to show you that I used the Detail Spray on a ceramic coating since the conversation had previously been about how you have a few bottles of detail spray, and didn't know if that was acceptable to use on your ceramic coated vehicles... I understand how I could have miscommunicated but let me try to clear that up: I wasn't sharing that post to communicate that you have to get the Mega Foam, nor was it to say that Mega Foam is superior to Car Shampoo. In fact, I think it's perfect that you have a gallon of Car Shampoo. Adams Car Shampoo is well known as one of the (if not THE) best car soap on the market. I go through car shampoo more than any other product. It's the best. 

No apology required or necessary. I learned additional information by watching the video and reading the complete thread. I actually learned Mega Foam was better for ceramic when I watched the video about What Makes a High Quality Car Shampoo. The one where the chemist explains it all. It was in that video I saw the Mega Foam would be better for ceramic coatings.  

It just frustrates me as the more I review the Store side there are so many contradicting or not addressed bits of information. There are MF towels listed that provide two different sizes. The Car Shampoo site says it is safe for ceramic but then there are other places where it doesn't even mention ceramic. It just frustrates me  there are so many errors on a professionally prepared website. It makes it difficult for a novice to navigate without spending a boat load of money on products that are detrimental to what you are trying to accomplish. I have no worries about a company having a lot of products for sale. There are different people doing different things that need different products. Having said that, in MY opinion the store should focus on educating the buyer that certain products do not play well together and results may not be as expected if used with XYZ. Its great for selling product, but not great for identifying potential results if used on ceramic and there is absolutely NO mention of vinyl wrapped vehicles.

Okay, I'm done. It's all good. I really appreciate everyones help. I have it now. I have Ceramic Coatings, I think I should ONLY use Ceramic products. Anything else there is a risk.

Does detail spray make stuff glossy? I ask because can I spray it in my engine compartment to give it a low luster shine? I have tons of this stuff that I am never gonna use. I have been giving it away.

Edited by brihvac

1 hour ago, brihvac said:

Does detail spray make stuff glossy? I ask because can I spray it in my engine compartment to give it a low luster shine? I have tons of this stuff that I am never gonna use. I have been giving it away.

Yes, it does. It's a carnauba-based product meant to add both shine and protection. You can, but I would recommend either In & Out Spray, VRT diluted 80/20, or Interior Detailer for your engine bay. I haven't tried DS, but you could and let us know how it looks...

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, SgtLip said:

You can always use it for lubrication when claying.