Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do I need a Swirlkiller 15mm?

Kraterer

Question

In need of some advice and/or clarification. I have a Shurhold 8mm DA (Marine) Polisher that uses 5.5-inch pads, and recently picked up a Swirlkiller 12mm Mini. Aside from the obvious (Adam's vs any other brand)... What would be my argument to replace the Shurhold with a SK 15mm?

Also, does anyone know if there's such a thing as waterless strip wash? I love the Waterless and Rinseless Wash products and was hoping to find something that would strip wax and detail spray buildup on my vintage ride. 

10 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Hi Kate, you may be able to try some APC and/or Surface Prep. I've noticed those help in breaking down waxes.

In terms of polishers, I believe the 15mm SK will help you cover more area in less time.

Thanks! I have a ton of APC (gallons), haven't got any Surface Prep (yet).

Agreed with above recommendation to use Surface Prep for your question/situation of wanting a "waterless strip wash". It's made for use directly on paint and has the lubricity you'll want. It's also made especially for removing wax, sealant, etc to get ready for the ultimate bond needed for a coating, so it's plenty powerful.

As for polisher size/type, check out this article below from @shane@detailedreflections. It should help guide you. My two cents...I had/have the Porter Cable 7242 that's also an 8mm throw. It was a good starter machine, but I now have the 15mm SK and haven't looked back. So much smoother and quicker. I don't think you'd regret getting it.

It should help 

16 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Agreed with above recommendation to use Surface Prep for your question/situation of wanting a "waterless strip wash". It's made for use directly on paint and has the lubricity you'll want. It's also made especially for removing wax, sealant, etc to get ready for the ultimate bond needed for a coating, so it's plenty powerful.

As for polisher size/type, check out this article below from @shane@detailedreflections. It should help guide you. My two cents...I had/have the Porter Cable 7242 that's also an 8mm throw. It was a good starter machine, but I now have the 15mm SK and haven't looked back. So much smoother and quicker. I don't think you'd regret getting it.

It should help 

Thanks for the info. I see a 15mm in my future. 😜

Using Surface Prep (or the previous version - Coating Prep) as part of you Rinseless Wash could help - here is what I do:

• Wash panel with Rinseless Wash
  • Wipe with damp MF towel
  • Spray panel with Surface Prep
  • Wipe dry with a Waterless Wash towel

But you could also just add a 2-3 ounces of APC to your Rinseless Wash bucket and get the same effect.

And +1 on the SK being smoother running than the PC style polisher you have now.  I still have 2 of that style, and taught my brother how to polish with one last weekend. 

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

Using Surface Prep (or the previous version - Coating Prep) as part of you Rinseless Wash could help - here is what I do:

• Wash panel with Rinseless Wash
  • Wipe with damp MF towel
  • Spray panel with Surface Prep
  • Wipe dry with a Waterless Wash towel

But you could also just add a 2-3 ounces of APC to your Rinseless Wash bucket and get the same effect.

And +1 on the SK being smoother running than the PC style polisher you have now.  I still have 2 of that style, and taught my brother how to polish with one last weekend. 

Do you know... If I dilute Rinseless Wash to make Waterless Wash, then add some APC and put it in a spray bottle... would that be a waterless wax stripper? 

I'm probably pulling the trigger on a 15mm SK today. 

1 hour ago, Kraterer said:

Do you know... If I dilute Rinseless Wash to make Waterless Wash, then add some APC and put it in a spray bottle... would that be a waterless wax stripper? 

I'm probably pulling the trigger on a 15mm SK today. 

Hmmm, possibly!  I would do 50% APC and 50% Waterless Wash (mixed from Rinseless Wash with distilled water or RTU) to make sure you have some lubrication.

You will be amazed at how smooth the SK is compared to the PC!

5 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Hmmm, possibly!  I would do 50% APC and 50% Waterless Wash (mixed from Rinseless Wash with distilled water or RTU) to make sure you have some lubrication.

You will be amazed at how smooth the SK is compared to the PC!

RTU? Is that an acronym for Ready to Use? Or an Adam's product? 

Edited by Kraterer

Do not use APC as a waterless strip product.  This is a strong degreaser and the product instructions state to not allow it to dry on the paint, as it can etch some finishes.

Use Surface Prep, the older Coating Prep, or make you own solution of 50% Isopropyl Alcohol with 50% distilled water, to strip clean paint.

Trying to combine cleaning and stripping into one step is not advisable.  For waterless cleaning, you need the lubrication in Waterless Wash or Rinsless Wash, but this lubrication is provided by polymers, which is going to remain on the paint.  The follow-up step would be to use Prep or IPA solution to remove these lubricants and any old wax or sealant.

Trying to do both at once and the two products are working against each other. The Prep or IPA will immediately dilute and break down the polymers making it less safe to clean (ie reduced lubrication), and the polymers will still be left on the paint, so the surface is not truly stripped.