Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to Paint Correction

20hannahg

Question

Hello all,

I have been detailing for a while but I am generally new to paint correction and polishing.  I'm looking to paint correct my silver 2007 Ford Mustang that has heavy swirl marks.  Because of the color I can barely see them but when the sunlight hits the paint just right they are definitely there.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher as a starter kit but I just don't think its getting the job done.  Any suggestions on machines and polish...would love a one step application.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

First, welcome! Go post an intro in the New Member forum so we can welcome you more properly!

Here's a good article for you're reference. The PC is a capable machine and is what is used for a while getting started. I since got the 15mm SK and haven't looked back. In turn, I converted my PC to a "mini" by changing it to a 4" backing plate. Now, I have the SK Mini and don't quite know what I'll do with the PC just yet. 

As for polishes, the HCC and white/blue Microfiber pads are the most aggressive combo from Adam's, but that's not necessarily what you need. General rule is start least aggressive by taping (no locking edges type tape) a 2x2 section and seeing what works, proceeding over the rest of the car with it while touching up where needed. For you, silver is pretty forgiving, so I'd recommend getting the orange CP and orange foam pad, as well as the Blue HCC and blue/white microfiber pad. You could consider the new one step pad and polish, but I just got those so haven't tried them yet. I do know they will generate quite a bit of heat (needed for correction) quickly so some care should be taken while using them...dont spend too long in one spot. FYI, you can use the one step pad with other polishes, too.

Edited by falcaineer

Id follow the advice above. I was in your position last year..but i was terrified to even hold a machine near my paint for fear of screwing it up bad.   I purchased the 15mm sk and used the 3 step polishes....id say its near idiot proof.  It came Out pretty dam good for first time correcting.    Wagch a few videos and go for it. 

3 hours ago, 20hannahg said:

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher as a starter kit but I just don't think its getting the job done.  Any suggestions on machines and polish...would love a one step application.

What size backing plate and pads are you using?  The PC (Porter Cable) style polishers work best with 5.5" pads, and thin pads work best.  And have you tried microfiber pads?  For lighter colored paint they work great, as the paint can be harder than darker color.

Two more things to think about:

1. Are you doing a 2 ft. x 2 ft. test spot?  This can really help get the correct combination of polish, pad, and passes dialed in before tackling the whole car
  2. What kind of lighting is available, and do you have a garage?  For this color you are best off in a darker space (garage with the door closed) and some LED lights for checking the condition of the paint.  Adam's sells a great cordless light, but here is a link to a DIY setup that can be put together for around $50 - DIY LED light build .

44 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

Id follow the advice above. I was in your position last year..but i was terrified to even hold a machine near my paint for fear of screwing it up bad.   I purchased the 15mm sk and used the 3 step polishes....id say its near idiot proof.  It came Out pretty dam good for first time correcting.    Wagch a few videos and go for it. 

Very true JR!  The only way to damage your paint with a dual action, random orbital machine (Porter Cable and it clones, Rupes/Swirl Killer and other long throw machines) is to drop the machine on it!  Well, you can burn thru the paint with these machines, but if you are being careful, you will be fine.  

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

Very true JR!  The only way to damage your paint with a dual action, random orbital machine (Porter Cable and it clones, Rupes/Swirl Killer and other long throw machines) is to drop the machine on it!  Well, you can burn thru the paint with these machines, but if you are being careful, you will be fine.  

Thanks guys! I think I will spring for the 15mm SK.  Sounds like the best option.