Customer Service 866.965.0400

New guy looking for advice

MM4310

I’m not a detailer but I appreciate and clean good looking ride and willing to learn to do some of it myself. 

I have 2 trucks I’d like to keep looking nice and the local car wash is terrible. 

I travel for work so I’m on the road most of the year. I don’t have a garage and currently I stay in a hot dry climate.

Im looking at a few kits and I’m not sure which to get:

daily driver detail kit

two bucket wash kit

car washing foaming gun kit

or gamble and get a mystery bucket or two and build what I want/need from there. 

At at some point I’ll probably be asking for advice about what products I should use and for what. 

Thanks in advance

72FD33FA-6EFE-4748-ACCA-0F7C0517608E.jpeg

Edited by MM4310

Welcome to the forum!  :welcomebanner: 

As for which kit to get, it depends on where you want to start.  If you need to start with the basics to keep it clean, then the Two Bucket is way to go.  If you're beyond knowing how to properly wash your car, I'd go with an Essentials Kit.  But Mystery Buckets are fun to anticipate what you'll get, as long as you're not disappointed when it comes.But they're a great savings for a lot of things.    

Welcome, Mark!

Feel free to ask any questions, people on the forum will jump at the opportunity to help...
I think I would suggest the mystery buckets. They're so fun. And everything in Adam's product line has a place. But like Rich said, it's a risk if you're trying to get a specific product.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. After more searching on the site I think I’ve put together a kit that works for me. It’s basically the two wash bucket my with some add on’s. 

Adams premium foam gun wash kit 166.67
(2) 10" Car Wash Pads 9.99ea
(1) 32 oz Foam Gun 99.99
(1) Car Wash Bucket with Grit Guard 12.99
(1) Great White Drying Towel 19.99ea
(1) Gallon Car Shampoo 39.99
Buy individually 192.94

Add
Car wash bucket with grit guard and gamma seal 24.99
16oz Detail Spray 12.99

After the auto discount and free shipping it comes out to about 170. According to the cart total. I feel like it’s a better deal than the just 2 bucket wash kit at 125.
Im sure I will add more eventually. But is this a good start? Is the premium foam cannon for the garden hose worth the extra versus the plastic one? What is the approximate number of wash in a one gallon car shampoo, 16oz detail spray. 

Your def off to a good start..Adams recommends using approximately 2-3oz of shampoo per wash for the gun. If you using the DS as a drying agent u should get 8-10 washes out of DS (12 oz).   The CS should last u a while.   Id either add another DS 16 oz.  or maybe a gallon of it (there is 2 pack DS 16 oz for $19 or gallon for $44)

I also think that’s a great start.

only other thing I would recommend is looking at 16oz H20 guard and gloss. It will give you more protection than the detail spray and is just as easy to use.

It’s one of my favorites; however, I totally understand if that’s not for you, then I would say you’re good to go!

My order has been placed. 

Thanks for the help I feel better about ordering the right stuff now. I do plan on using the ds as a drying agent misty. So I ordered the 2-16oz bottles. Later if I like it (I’m sure I will) I’ll order it by the gallon. 

I keep reading up onthe how too’s and I’ll be asking more questions later. There are a lot of chemicals that I have no idea how/when to use. 

Eventually i I want to be able to fully detail my wife’s and my truck. Hers is brand new so I’m just trying to keep it like that. And mine is used. It has swirl marks that I want to learn to remove on my own. I have a ways to go and a lot to learn.

Welcome, Mark! Good start. Only thing I would recommend you add soon until you're more comfortable is the Spray Wax. Super easy to use, it'll give you 1-2 months of protection, and it can be used as a drying aid, as well...think of it as DS on steroids. 

I should mention I love HGG, as @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin mentioned, but the towels need special care and may not be something you're ready for just yet.

13 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Welcome, Mark! Good start. Only thing I would recommend you add soon until you're more comfortable is the Spray Wax. Super easy to use, it'll give you 1-2 months of protection, and it can be used as a drying aid, as well...think of it as DS on steroids. 

I should mention I love HGG, as @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin mentioned, but the towels need special care and may not be something you're ready for just yet.

Thanks! 

Which towels are you talking about? And what is the special care?

1 hour ago, MM4310 said:

Thanks! 

Which towels are you talking about? And what is the special care?

The borderless grey towels are generally the best option for HGGhttps://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-borderless-grey-edgeless-towel.html Since they're grey they won't stain, or at least it won't be noticeable. Special care meaning they should be washed right away, not allowing the HGG to set in the towels, or put in a bucket of water with a few ounces of APC in the meantime, and be washed with the Microfiber Revitalizer. They should also be washed by themselves, in my experience. On the other hand, towels with Spray Wax can be left alone for a while until washed with other microfiber towels.

49 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

The borderless grey towels are generally the best option for HGGhttps://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-borderless-grey-edgeless-towel.html Since they're grey they won't stain, or at least it won't be noticeable. Special care meaning they should be washed right away, not allowing the HGG to set in the towels, or put in a bucket of water with a few ounces of APC in the meantime, and be washed with the Microfiber Revitalizer. They should also be washed by themselves, in my experience. On the other hand, towels with Spray Wax can be left alone for a while until washed with other microfiber towels.

That was very informative.

When using the detail spray (mostly as a drying agent). Is a waffle or plush towel recommended?

I have some soft plush towels currently and some regular microfiber towels I use on the less delicate areas. Can I purchase more waffle towels locally. 

I will eventually end up with pile of various Adams towels. But I’m the meantime is there another kind I can use? My wife is gonna lose her sh*t if the $$$ keep going up lol

My next order list is already started in my head. 

8 hours ago, MM4310 said:

When using the detail spray (mostly as a drying agent). Is a waffle or plush towel recommended?

I prefer plush, but waffle weave could work, too. And if you don't have one, add the Ultra Plush Drying Towel to your next order. Best drying towel I've ever used hands-down. 

8 hours ago, MM4310 said:

My wife is gonna lose her sh*t if the $$$ keep going up lol

My next order list is already started in my head. 

It's a risk we all husbands take. Ladies, do your husbands respond the same way?

And "in your head" is, for now, probably the best place. If you write it down there's real risk in that 🤣.

The best method I have found is to ensure the wife’s vehicle gets the best possible treatment then she doesn’t mind spending a few dollars.   @falcaineer is correct about the towels for drying and while they all work very good, the Ultra Plush is exceptional and the only towel used on the Wife’s vehicle.   The only question I have is who drives the Colorado and who has the Silverado?

The paint on the Colorado is a bit soft, which has good and bad points.  The good point is that you can get many of the swirl marks out with Revive hand polish and a blue or orange pad.  The bad is that the paint is a bit soft and it is easy to cause swirl marks if you aren’t careful.   On my Colorado, I always use a two bucket wash, a dedicated microfiber wash mitt and ultra plush drying towel.   Once you get the truck ready for the first treatment, it is hard to beat the Ceramic Paste Wax,  it if you already have other products such as the HGG, they are very good also.   Just be sure to stick with one product line, and don’t mix Ceramic with non-Ceramic products.