Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tonneau Cover Cleaning/Protecting

Bdsankey

Question

I have been using Mothers VLR on my tonneau cover for my 2002 Chevrolet silverado 2500hd with a short bed. I have been pleased with the results but am wondering if there is a different product/better method to use? I go through the touch-less car wash then apply VLR due to living in an apartment/not being able to water wash myself. 

15 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

I use Adam's VRT on my vinyl tonneau cover.  For better results you want to let it sit for while, then wipe it with a microfiber towel to remove any excess.

That is the product I was thinking about using as it mimics what I'm using already. Thank you for the tip on letting it sit and "soak" for a few minutes before removal. 

For much longer lasting results, I'd recommend the Ceramic Spray Coating. Rinse, scrub with APC, rinse, allow to dry completely, and finally apply the coating (use the grey microfiber pad for faster application). No need to wipe away the residue like you would on paint, it will self level.

To clarify above using the microfiber pad, spray a few sprays directly on the pad, then wipe on. It's easier to apply evenly, control over spray (that's not a big deal, anyway, but still...) and goes quickly.

Sounds good. I'm debating about having the truck professionally ceramic coated in the spring after I fix a few scratches/chips at Ceramic Pro with their lifetime warranty coating but I don't believe there is a specific ceramic coating for flexible items like a vinyl tonneau cover. 

2 hours ago, Bdsankey said:

Sounds good. I'm debating about having the truck professionally ceramic coated in the spring after I fix a few scratches/chips at Ceramic Pro with their lifetime warranty coating but I don't believe there is a specific ceramic coating for flexible items like a vinyl tonneau cover. 

Ceramic Spray Coating is ideal for tonneau covers and super easy to use. You could get by with the small bottle for several applications, or do your whole truck if you want in 30 minutes for a fraction of the cost. Your call.

41 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Ceramic Spray Coating is ideal for tonneau covers and super easy to use. You could get by with the small bottle for several applications, or do your whole truck if you want in 30 minutes for a fraction of the cost. Your call.

My downfall with only doing a spray coating is not having the ability to actually wash the truck myself other than waterless/rinseless wash which is where the ceramic tends to really shine due to washing my truck very regularly at the touchless PDQ wash. 

5 hours ago, falcaineer said:

For much longer lasting results, I'd recommend the Ceramic Spray Coating. Rinse, scrub with APC, rinse, allow to dry completely, and finally apply the coating (use the grey microfiber pad for faster application). No need to wipe away the residue like you would on paint, it will self level.

I agree Ceramic Spray is the ONLY way to go!

1 hour ago, Chris@Adams said:

I agree Ceramic Spray is the ONLY way to go!

I will recommend before you ceramic story coat it, go over it with Adam’s Leather Conditioner.  This will provide a nice deep dark black color on the cover.   Once you use the LC, by following directions on the bottle, let it sit for a couple of hours and make sure it is even and if need by wipe it down if a clean microfiber towel.    Once you are satisfied that it is even, hit it with the Ceramic Spray Coating.    I cannot recommend VRT if you are going to use the Ceramic Spray Coating as I believe the Leather Condition does a better job under ceramic.

Here is a question for ya'll.. I just bought a Truxedo Pro x15 which has a canvas/convertible top type material instead of vinyl, MFR recommends only soap and water for upkeep, should I add anything else? Was using Aerospace 303 on my previous vinyl cover...

14 minutes ago, imcrazy said:

Here is a question for ya'll.. I just bought a Truxedo Pro x15 which has a canvas/convertible top type material instead of vinyl, MFR recommends only soap and water for upkeep, should I add anything else? Was using Aerospace 303 on my previous vinyl cover...

There are three options and it depends on the cover or top you have.  One product is RaggTopp and on the tops that it works on, it is exceptional.  The next option is 303 Aerospace with the two part package, cleaner and conditioner - the package is called the Tonneau Cover Care Kit.  The third option is to wash it Adam's Shampoo and go over it with Adam's Leather Conditioner and now you can go over it Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating.

The Ceramic Spray Coating itself won't give it the deep black sheen and that is why you need a base product.   I have not tried, but may in the near future doing CSC over Ragg Topp and 303.

The Mustang does not like RaggTopp or LC, but 303 works like a charm.  RaggTopp on a Jeep was ideal and for my Truxedo Hard Rollup cover, I only use Leather Condition and it works great. I tried LC on a Backflip folding cover a while back it didn't have the same outcome, but I can't say if it was the cover or material difference.    I know it isn't the best picture of the Truxedo tonneau cover, but this was taken in June and the cover is about 2 years old and the other picture is from a year prior and the top looks about 100% the same and it sits outside 24/7 in the South Carolina sun. 

The important thing is to try a test area and see how it looks before you do the entire cover.  All three products are exceptional, but the top materials are so varied that one product does not fit every situation. 

IMG_0384.JPG

Aug 20, 2018.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed response! Is your Truxedo Smooth Vinyl or the Premium Matte Black Woven Fabric ? I was very close to buying the hard rolling Truxedo, now called the Sentry, I think a few years ago it was the Titanium but, I went with the Soft cover because I wanted the lifetime warranty and didn't want to spend the extra $ on the hard cover mostly..

The Pro 15X is the Premium Matte Black Woven Fabric which has a very matte finish but, the underside is the same vinyl that is standard on all Truxedo covers so it will be almost impossible to test in an inconspicuous spot unfortunately.

Nice Colorado you have, I had a 2017 for just about two months, I liked a lot of things about it but, I spend all day in my truck for work and the lack of an 8 way adjustable seat plus the lower seating position was a killer for my body shape / size and I could not get comfortable in it so I had to go back to a Silverado, actually bought back my original truck back that I had for three years.. I miss the Colorado in parking lots and miss the extra space it gave me in the garage.

Mine is the smooth vinyl and yes it is the Titanium series and wasn't cheap either, but it is really nice.

I think the new Leather and Interior Dressing would work fine on the Matte finish based on reading the description, but I haven't tried it.