Customer Service 866.965.0400

H20 Guard & Gloss as Clay Lube?

imcrazy

Question

Sorry of this has been asked before, wasn't able to come up with anything in search..

Can one use H20 G&G applied to a wet car, as clay lube? I am thinking if spread across evenly it would kill two birds with one stone but, maybe I am missing something in my though process?

9 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Sometimes killing two birds with one stone just leaves you with two dead birds. 

use detail spray, waterless wash or car shampoo.

I agree with you that sometimes you get behind by cutting corners which is why I am asking before trying it...

What would the downside be though? Inadequate lubrication? Lack of proper coverage for the H2O? Not that I mind the separate steps mind you but, I'm also not looking for show car results either, my truck and wife's SUV are both DD rides with mine seeing about 25k miles a year of use so the rock chips and other wear stuff that trashes the cars out just from general use..

The Nanoscrub clay alternative I use offers a clay lube that 'adds protection' which is what got me thinking about it... To be fair Adams wasn't offering a clay alternative at the time or I would have probably bought their product..

I had never considered it, but after thinking about it I wouldn't do it, either. Clay is meant to clean and decon paint, and can/will remove protection while using it. I'd think it would remove protection you're trying to apply with the HGG, defeating the purpose. I also think lubrication would be an issue because less is more with HGG, and you need a lot of lube for clay, so streaking is a strong possibility. 

In fairness, DS adds some minor protection, too, but not nearly as much as the HGG. Plus, I don't think you'll like the results, much like I don't like clay residue left behind when using DS

All that said, you could certainly try, it's your car. But I reecommend you stick with DS or diluted RW, and a a wet/soapy car.

13 hours ago, imcrazy said:

Can one use H20 G&G applied to a wet car, as clay lube? I am thinking if spread across evenly it would kill two birds with one stone but, maybe I am missing something in my though process?

G&G will not lubricate well enough to be used as a clay lube.  BUT if you are looking to be more efficient, I have a suggestion:

• Wash the panel with Rinseless Wash
  • Spray with clay lube (Detail Spray or diluted Rinsewash)
  • Decontaminate the panel with the Clay Mitt 
  • Wash the panel area again with Rinseless Wash (makes sure the panel is wet)
  • Apply H2O G&G 
  • Level with damp MF towel 
  • Dry panel

8 minutes ago, imcrazy said:

Thanks for all the thoughtful input everybody, I'll stick with detail spray!

Good choice. And I just realized we didn't provide the ratio, but if you want something less expensive, RW diluted 64:1 is also a good alternative.

20 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Good choice. And I just realized we didn't provide the ratio, but if you want something less expensive, RW diluted 64:1 is also a good alternative.

Thanks for the info, I actually use a different detail spay for claying than Adam's most of the time, like I said earlier when I got into detailing Adam's wasn't offering clay alternative  and I've just stuck with what works..