Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finishing polish before ceramic?

X1x1x1

Question

Hello, 

I am wondering if using Adams new finishing polish before the ceramic step will be ok. I ask because the new finishing polish formula has sio2 in it which may mess with the ceramic binding to the clear coat?

2 hours ago, X1x1x1 said:

This is kind of good news! So if I’m happy with the results as is, I can top as needed with boost, or I was going to apply their ceramic wax (I like the way wax looks). 

Or I could clean and apply a second coat. Now another question. Will the spots that have only one coat look noticeable different than the spots that have 2 coats? 

I LOVE the ceramic wax. And on that blue you're gonna be in love with it, as well. I really can't wait to see how that turns out. I've put it on black, white and silver cars and it's been incredible every time.

No, you shouldn't notice any difference. We're talking microns of thickness, so should be just fine. 

Coating prep is one of my favorite products. You would never want to go straight from a polish to your LSP (last age product; not to be confused with liquid paint sealant) without using something to remove the oils and residue from the polish. 

In fact “Coating prep” is not giving this product the recognition it deserves.  It’s great as a cleanup step no matter what your LSP is going to be; sealant, wax, just doesn’t matter. 

23 hours ago, X1x1x1 said:

Hello, 

I am wondering if using Adams new finishing polish before the ceramic step will be ok. I ask because the new finishing polish formula has sio2 in it which may mess with the ceramic binding to the clear coat?

Like mentioned Coating Prep  will take care of any residue left over.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:48 AM, falcaineer said:

Polish residue (and anything else still on the paint) will be removed with the Surface Prep as a last step before you apply ceramic coatings, so even though ceramics are SiO2-based, the residue won't be there anyway. You have and will use Surface Prep, right?

I did use surface prep. Car came out great minis a few spots I missed. 

14 minutes ago, X1x1x1 said:

I did use surface prep. Car came out great minis a few spots I missed. 

In that case, you already removed any residue and/or SiO2 from the FP. Press on with your coating! Unless you mean you already did it...in which case, pictures or it didn't happen!!

51 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

In that case, you already removed any residue and/or SiO2 from the FP. Press on with your coating! Unless you mean you already did it...in which case, pictures or it didn't happen!!

Kind of messed up a few spots which I’m bummed about. Causing mass anxiety of here! Lol

97D43613-2A57-4BD1-A3D7-F3A60E9F5895.jpeg

E7067177-A246-4090-BCCE-40E3B96E1557.jpeg

45E80521-3AC5-460A-9E47-7D602E3FA52D.jpeg

4 hours ago, X1x1x1 said:

Kind of messed up a few spots which I’m bummed about. Causing mass anxiety of here! Lol

97D43613-2A57-4BD1-A3D7-F3A60E9F5895.jpeg

E7067177-A246-4090-BCCE-40E3B96E1557.jpeg

45E80521-3AC5-460A-9E47-7D602E3FA52D.jpeg

Looks great! All is not lost even if you missed some spots. Just go back over the spot(s) with FP and white pad to knock down any high spots, reapplying coating as necessary. 

19 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Looks great! All is not lost even if you missed some spots. Just go back over the spot(s) with FP and white pad to knock down any high spots, reapplying coating as necessary. 

Your words of encouragement are needed lol. 

Im thinking of redoing the doors this weekend. I’m convinced it was just too hot when I applied it (90 degrees F). Streaking is really only on the doors. 

13 minutes ago, X1x1x1 said:

Your words of encouragement are needed lol. 

Im thinking of redoing the doors this weekend. I’m convinced it was just too hot when I applied it (90 degrees F). Streaking is really only on the doors. 

Happy to help! Coatings can be a little tricky, but Adam's version is user friendly.

If it's that bad, you can also consider using CP and orange pad, remove it all in those areas, and start over. Also check for high spots earlier with either a bright light or in the sun (don't apply in the sun!), and use some BG to knock them down before it fully cures. 

25 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Happy to help! Coatings can be a little tricky, but Adam's version is user friendly.

If it's that bad, you can also consider using CP and orange pad, remove it all in those areas, and start over. Also check for high spots earlier with either a bright light or in the sun (don't apply in the sun!), and use some BG to knock them down before it fully cures. 

BG?

3 minutes ago, RayS said:

If you hover over the item, it will provide the full name, which in this case is Brilliant Glaze.  

Here's a link to an older list of them all:

Thanks for the response. I’m on mobile and the Hoover didn’t seem to work. 

Any substitute for BG if I don’t have any on hand?

Been 24 hours at this point. Ill do the doors Friday since I need to be able to drive the car for work and will need time for it to cure. 

12 minutes ago, X1x1x1 said:

Thanks for the response. I’m on mobile and the Hoover didn’t seem to work. 

Any substitute for BG if I don’t have any on hand?

Been 24 hours at this point. Ill do the doors Friday since I need to be able to drive the car for work and will need time for it to cure. 

I don't know of a substitute for BG, maybe someone else can give you an alternate method.   

My recommendation is that if you do not have any BG, to check the web site for any local Adam's dealers or call your local Chevy dealer.    There is a link on the Adam's Polishes for the dealers:  https://adamspolishes.com/apps/store-locator/   My local Chevy deaerl carries the basics and BG is a must have product just like Detail Spray and they've always been nice to me and given me the same discount that is on the Adam's web site at the time just for asking. 

12 hours ago, RayS said:

I don't know of a substitute for BG, maybe someone else can give you an alternate method.   

My recommendation is that if you do not have any BG, to check the web site for any local Adam's dealers or call your local Chevy dealer.    There is a link on the Adam's Polishes for the dealers:  https://adamspolishes.com/apps/store-locator/   My local Chevy deaerl carries the basics and BG is a must have product just like Detail Spray and they've always been nice to me and given me the same discount that is on the Adam's web site at the time just for asking. 

I saw in another thread FP could be used. It used that and it worked well. Not sure I removed the coating in the process. 

1 hour ago, X1x1x1 said:

I saw in another thread FP could be used. It used that and it worked well. Not sure I removed the coating in the process. 

You likely removed some of it. If in doubt, just go back over with some more, and allow it to cure.

51 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

You likely removed some of it. If in doubt, just go back over with some more, and allow it to cure.

Cant thank you all enough for your patience with me. 

I used the polish in quite a few places,  it’s going to be difficult for me to tell which parts have coating still and which do not.

would going over the whole car again this weekend, after a wash, be a bad or good idea? 

If there are sections I want to completely redo would a meguires ultimate polish and a cutting pad be enough to remove the existing coating?

Always try to work on a clean surface. You don't want to drag dust and dirt on your finish.

It's hard to tell what is coating coul dhave been removed if you don't remember polishing those spots specifically.

One way to tell is by hydrophobics. If you spray or pour water on your car and there are spots that are not quite beading water up and shedding it off quickly, that is a good indication that your coating in that spot is at least worn down if not completely gone.

15 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Always try to work on a clean surface. You don't want to drag dust and dirt on your finish.

It's hard to tell what is coating coul dhave been removed if you don't remember polishing those spots specifically.

One way to tell is by hydrophobics. If you spray or pour water on your car and there are spots that are not quite beading water up and shedding it off quickly, that is a good indication that your coating in that spot is at least worn down if not completely gone.

Applying a full second coat, over say the full door. Is that not a good idea?

Interesting, are you using Ceramic Spray Coating? Or are you using the traditional Ceramic Coating?

If you're using Ceramic Spray, I think that would be fine. I'm hesitant to give you an answer with the traditional coating since I'm not 100% sure. I think both options would be fine to have a second coat, but I would see if @RayS or @Chris@Adams or @falcaineer can give you any input. I haven't done a full second coat, so I'm not sure if there's any special steps involved, since, I guess you wouldn't want to use Surface Prep, right?

13 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Interesting, are you using Ceramic Spray Coating? Or are you using the traditional Ceramic Coating?

If you're using Ceramic Spray, I think that would be fine. I'm hesitant to give you an answer with the traditional coating since I'm not 100% sure. I think both options would be fine to have a second coat, but I would see if @RayS or @Chris@Adams or @falcaineer can give you any input. I haven't done a full second coat, so I'm not sure if there's any special steps involved, since, I guess you wouldn't want to use Surface Prep, right?

This is traditional coating and not spray. It’s Adams paint coating. 

Ideally I’d be able to wash, apply surface prep, and re-coat but I doubt it’s that easy. I have a feeling I’ll have to polish the car completely. 

4 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Ive read that people will apply two coats of Ceramic Coating, so it's not unheard of. I just don't know the specifics of how, and if your situation should be treated any differently.

Makes sense. I’m obviously looking for a simple way to fix my mistakes and I don’t know if I have a full detail with polish included in me right away. Lol