Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to the Forum

Jbartl16

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I also recently purchased a new to me vehicle. I have used Adams polishes for years but have mainly only done the basics (two bucket washes, foam cannon, some wheel cleaning and glass sealing). Previously I had a truck that I liked to keep somewhat clean but never cared too much about the paint. I took it off roading and used for hunting. I’ve now made the switch to a Lexus sedan and really want to make/keep it nice. I bought it used and the dealer claims the detailed it but I’m not too impressed. Not sure what I need to do to get it right. I’ve heard about the ceramic coating and sealing but somewhat intimidated on the processes and which is better. Any help or direction would be appreciated. 

Thanks

21DA26A3-928C-4EA8-AC88-98D4A3FAEE6C.jpeg

Welcome, John! (Thanks for the tag, @RayS) Where on OH?

Moving "beyond the basics" can feel intimidating, but you've found a great place to learn and ask questions, as well as lend any advice you have.

For white, I've found awesome results with Paint Sealant as the base and HGG every 3-4 washes (see my account profile pic for an example). That combo really seems to make white pop and I think would be a great option for you.

Here's a great article for your reference.

And another, just for fun!

Edited by falcaineer

Thanks guys. I’ve done some searching around on the forum and I have discovered a lot of new information. Thanks @falcaineer for the links. I found those especially helpful. It was nice to get advice from someone who regularly maintains a white car. Also, I currently have a gallon of the HGG so I should get some use out of that after I seal the vehicle. Do you guys suggest sealing by hand or getting a machine? I feel like I could end up with a machine at some point so wondering if it is better to bite the bullet earlier than later.

Have you ever used the brilliant glaze over/with the paint sealant? Some of the reviews on Adams don’t speak too highly of the end results with the sealant. Not sure if that’s just because they aren’t using it correctly or what. 

I normally just seal by hand. It's really not difficult at all. I use a cross hatch pattern to ensure coverage, and then it's one of the easiest products in my experience to wipe off.

With Brilliant Glaze, It's awesome. It really is - just understand that it is not meant to last a long time. Like a few days at most. I would not use it under the paint sealant, It would affect the durability of the paint sealant (regularly 5-8 months). So instead, I would apply your paint sealant first as your base protection, and then apply Brilliant glaze ontop of the sealant anytime! It's a fun thing to apply whenever you really want to bring a pretty mind blowing shine to your vehicle. I also love to use it on the inside of my windshield. <<< You don't know true windshield clarity until you do this. Not sure how it would work under HGG either.  I have used BG on top of HGG and it beautiful!

1 minute ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

I normally just seal by hand. It's really not difficult at all. I use a cross hatch pattern to ensure coverage, and then it's one of the easiest products in my experience to wipe off.

With Brilliant Glaze, It's awesome. It really is - just understand that it is not meant to last a long time. Like a few days at most. I would not use it under the paint sealant, It would affect the durability of the paint sealant (regularly 5-8 months). So instead, I would apply your paint sealant first as your base protection, and then apply Brilliant glaze ontop of the sealant anytime! It's a fun thing to apply whenever you really want to bring a pretty mind blowing shine to your vehicle. I also love to use it on the inside of my windshield. <<< You don't know true windshield clarity until you do this. Not sure how it would work under HGG either.  I have used BG on top of HGG and it beautiful!

Great info. Thanks! 

Another question -  if I’m going to seal

i feel like I should get the paint as good as I can first. I have some of those yellow/orange spots and it seems like the iron remover might be what I need. Prior to sealing would you recommend strip washing, claying, and using that iron remover and lastly a one step polish? I feel like it would be wrong to seal some of those impurities to the paint. 

1 minute ago, Jbartl16 said:

Great info. Thanks! 

Another question -  if I’m going to seal

i feel like I should get the paint as good as I can first. I have some of those yellow/orange spots and it seems like the iron remover might be what I need. Prior to sealing would you recommend strip washing, claying, and using that iron remover and lastly a one step polish? I feel like it would be wrong to seal some of those impurities to the paint. 

Yes absolutely. I would recommend using the Iron Remover (or you can use Wheel CLeaner diluted 1:1, I hear), and then going over the whole vehicle's paint and glass with a clay bar at a minimum. Remember never to use your clay bar dry but use a clay lube. You can use Detail Spray which is Adam's way of using a clay lube or use some diluted Car Shampoo or Rinseless wash in water. And then you may want to use a Surface Prep to get naked paint before laying down your Paint Sealant.

6 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Yes absolutely. I would recommend using the Iron Remover (or you can use Wheel CLeaner diluted 1:1, I hear), and then going over the whole vehicle's paint and glass with a clay bar at a minimum. Remember never to use your clay bar dry but use a clay lube. You can use Detail Spray which is Adam's way of using a clay lube or use some diluted Car Shampoo or Rinseless wash in water. And then you may want to use a Surface Prep to get naked paint before laying down your Paint Sealant.

Agreed with using IR. You don't need to dilute the Wheel Cleaner, though. That was the old pink "Deep Wheel Cleaner." Just don't let either one dry on the car, and/or use in direct sunlight. Here's a video on using WC if that's the route you go.

I have used BG under and over paint sealant and various other products with no loss in longevity.  BG is good at hiding minor flaws and swirls, the keyword is minor and it does add depth and clarity.   

When I want the vehicle looking especially sharp for the weekend or a show, I go over with BG using a red pad, this includes going over Paint Sealant, Butter, Americana, Patriots and Ceramic Paste Wax.  It is amazing how much extra Pop it gives to the vehicle, but as @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said, it only last a couple of days.  Waterless Wash followed by BG makes for a quick cleanup and is a staple in my travel kit.

From the Ceramics side, I won't put BG underneath since the last thing you want to do is use Surface Prep and then coat the vehicle.  Then there is the inside of windshield, which I couldn't believe how well it works on a windshield.  

As @falcaineer noted on the use of Wheel Cleaner for a decom, it does work, but smells pretty bad.  However, I can tell you Eco Wheel Cleaner is great for sensitive wheels, it doesn't do much for a decom on the body, so check to see which version you have and don't let it sit or drop on the vehicle, it really is painful to get off - I speak from experience...