Customer Service 866.965.0400
mjshaw130

Metal Polish

Question

Hi guys,

Just curious as to how well the metal polish works on heavily oxidized rims. Haven't really done anything to the inside of my rims since I bought my truck (2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500). Thinking they need to be removed and cleaned up a bit.

Matt

3 answers to this question

It all depends if they are cleared or not, if there aren't clear coated the MP 1 & 2 should shine them up like new. To tell if they are raw (not cleared) take MP on a utility towel and if your towel turns black they aren't clear coated.

I haven't used it on rims, but I have used it on some pretty rough exhaust tips. It worked well, returning them to like new condition.

Keep in mind many factory wheels finishes are labeled "polished" but, in reality, are clear coated. To confirm, try a little bit of polish on an inconspicuous area. If you get a black residue on the applicator, your wheels are not coated and can be metal polished. If you don't, your wheels are clear coated and should be polished with paint-appropriate polish & pads.

Is using Clay on Non-Clear Coated surfaces acceptable?

Just wondering for my own benefit, if the Matthew from OP's, wheels are in fact not clear coated, is this an instance where you would wash the wheels, then clay them before going into the metal polish stage?

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin