Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black plastic turning grey

brihvac

Question

Just got done ceramic coating my truck and noticed how grey the black plastic cowl cover is. What will bring this up black again but not bleed all over the paint? Also going to do my black plastic mirrors,etc

9 answers to this question

On 8/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, falcaineer said:

As @RayS said, definitely Black Trim Restorer. Once done, coat it with your paint coating. No need to wipe off coating residue, it'll self level.

Do I need to protect the newly ceramic coated paint from the trim restorer? How long do I let the trim restorer sit before using ceramic coating. And a dumb question....I don't use ceramic boost do I.

52 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Just got done ceramic coating my truck and noticed how grey the black plastic cowl cover is. What will bring this up black again but not bleed all over the paint? Also going to do my black plastic mirrors,etc

Pictures always help with showing the item to get the best recommendation, but I'll make the best judgement call that I can based on your description.     For the Mustang, I used the Black Trim Restorer, https://adamspolishes.com/collections/wheel-tire-cleaning-liquids-chemicals/products/adam-s-black-trim-restorer

This is another product that a little goes a long way.  I did the Mustang in three passes, adding a thin coat three days in a row.  The Mustang was in the garage and I was reconditioning the top at the same time with a different product, so no weather touched it between coats.  The picture is the best one I have of the Cowl shortly after it was done.   The Cowl is the original 1998 Cowl and it has not been repainted.

IMG_0339.JPG

36 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Do I need to protect the newly ceramic coated paint from the trim restorer? How long do I let the trim restorer sit before using ceramic coating. And a dumb question....I don't use ceramic boost do I.

I have some super cheap microfiber rags that I used for applying the trim restorer, don't use a good towel, it will permanently stain it.  I wear a pair of throw away gloves, put the microfiber rag over the gloved hand and then put the Trim Restorer on the Rag, only using my index finger.  From there I can go over the area adding Trim Restorer as needed.   If you are not very steady in doing something like that, then tape off the painted part of the car with Blue Painters tape.  

Any time I'm doing using Trim Restore or similar type product, I try to let it cure 24 hours before I put anything over it.   The Mustang has Ceramic Paste Wax on the body, but nothing on the trim, although I may hit the trim and top with Ceramic Spray Coating when I go over it later this fall.  

Not necessarily, but some painters tape, as @RayS said certainly wouldn't hurt. Pretty sure it'll wipe right off otherwise. And yes, you can and should use Ceramic Boost right over the resored and coated trim.

Adam demos application here... You can use a ceramic applicator pad to make quick, even work of it. Wait at least 6 hours to let it fully cure.

Just ordered the tire and rubber cleaner and the trim restorer. They do not sell the kit anymore like in the video. I still have some coating prep from the ceramic kit but on that note isn't the coating prep just rubbing alcohol mixed with some water? I have a lot of rubbing alcohol.

55 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

No, it has other additives like lubricants and fragrance (though that may not matter to you as much). 

So could it be used also? Or would it be counterproductive to use it.