Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Scratched Glass

Low_Kuntree

Question

11 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Low_Kuntree said:

Anyone had good success with polishing out scratches in glass, using Adam's products?

20190818_114424.jpg

I used to have a SuperGlass Windshield Repair (NO replace, just repairs) franchise. You can sand and polish out scratches on the windshield but you BETTER know what you're doing or else you'll add new scratches. If it is side door windows, they are tempered glass and extremely hard to sand and polish out scratches. But it can be done.

It all depends on the type of glass it is. I sanded on a Chrysler 300 windshield for hours after the guys wife took a green pot scrubber to it to remove love bugs. I found out the hard way the windshield glass has metal bits imbedded to harden the glass and the more I sanded the more it resisted. I ended up having to replace the guys windshield. It was expensive.

I know of no application of polish only that will remove scratches from glass. Depending on your location, there are SuperGlass Windshield Repair franchisees all over the country who could help. Look them up on the internet. (Disclaimer, I am NO LONGER a franchisee.)

Forgot to add, I charged $100 per hour to repair scratches. From the looks of your picture, there are a lot of scratches, which means it will take a few hours to sand and polish.

Edited by SgtLip
Added last paragraph on price

1 hour ago, SgtLip said:

I used to have a SuperGlass Windshield Repair (NO replace, just repairs) franchise. You can sand and polish out scratches on the windshield but you BETTER know what you're doing or else you'll add new scratches. If it is side door windows, they are tempered glass and extremely hard to sand and polish out scratches. But it can be done.

It all depends on the type of glass it is. I sanded on a Chrysler 300 windshield for hours after the guys wife took a green pot scrubber to it to remove love bugs. I found out the hard way the windshield glass has metal bits imbedded to harden the glass and the more I sanded the more it resisted. I ended up having to replace the guys windshield. It was expensive.

I know of no application of polish only that will remove scratches from glass. Depending on your location, there are SuperGlass Windshield Repair franchisees all over the country who could help. Look them up on the internet. (Disclaimer, I am NO LONGER a franchisee.)

Forgot to add, I charged $100 per hour to repair scratches. From the looks of your picture, there are a lot of scratches, which means it will take a few hours to sand and polish.

Nice! Yeah, they are some junkyard door glass, thought I might try sprucing them up and possibly use!

On 8/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, falcaineer said:

Adam's doesn't have a glass polish, at least not yet. You'll have to look at a dedicated product, which I think others on here have talked about before. Adding @shane@detailedreflections and @mc2hill to see what they can add...

Thanks for the mention Chris.  Sounds like we have an SME (Subject Matter Expert) in @SgtLip!  

But to add to this, yes you can polish glass, but temper your expectations.  And as Donald said, you can make it worse.  It takes a special tools and polishes to tackle glass, and you can make it wavier than when you started.

There is a glass polish you can get and it will polish out pretty easy. I used to use it more on Shower Glassdoors then I did on automobiles. Unfortunately I only know of the polish the parent company provided that we used to polish with. You can go online and find a Superglass Windshield Franchisee in your area and see if he would sell you some.

2 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

For water spots on glass you can use our Orange pad & CP it will get them removed.

You're stirring up the memories.

I used an alcohol wipe to completely clean the glass before introducing the polish and pad to a dirty worksite. 

Now that you mention it, I used the Orange pad as well. I had forgotten that part.

I also think I finished with a black pad.