Customer Service 866.965.0400

Complete Color Change Vinyl Wrap

SgtLip

Question

I'm new here as well and am trying to figure out how to ceramic coat, and maintain my complete color change vinyl wrap. The car is White with Yellow and Satin Black vinyl.

IMG_9809.thumb.JPG.3da81b2d0e0edcb558ecdc3faf94d961.JPG

Back in August of 2018 right after I purchased my new car, a co-worker said I needed to have it ceramic coated. I didn't know anything about it so I researched on the internet. I located a guy in Huntington West Virginia (where I was working at the time) and had my painted white 2018 Subaru Forester ceramic coated.

I don't believe the car had 5,000 miles on it when he applied ceramic coating to all paint, trim, tires and glass.

In March of 2019, I had the (Avery Dennison) Yellow and Gloss Black vinyl wrap applied. There was a lot of discussion as to whether he would have to remove the ceramic coating prior to installing the vinyl. It ended up he did not strip the ceramic coating and applied the vinyl wrap right over the top. He then applied another product. I was not impressed from the moment I first saw the vehicle. The roof was wrapped in gloss black and was streaked and looked horrible. I couldn't tell if it was the lousy vinyl or the ceramic coating done poorly. I was never able to tell if he even applied the ceramic coating on the vinyl as I was told the vinyl would bead water just like the ceramic coating would. The wrap was done so poorly there were parts that were literally falling off the car. With that said, the vinyl did bead a little when water hit it like hydrophobic reaction. The tires and trim and such already had the other ceramic coating from the original guy in West Virginia so I didn't worry about them.

Last week, I had the wrap on the roof, rear spoiler, shark fin, outside mirrors, all door handles and the complete front bumper and grill replaced by another company (final results are in the picture above). The new vinyl has NOT been ceramic treated yet. The Yellow was Avery Dennison and the Satin Black was 3M.

I Googled benefits of applying Ceramic Coating to a Vinyl Wrap and the response brought me to Adam's Polishes, specifically: 

I need help to figure out what steps are necessary for me to perform before applying Adam's Ceramic products to my vinyl wrapped car. The thread above introduced me to Adam's Polishes.  

1. Do I have to do paint correction since I don't have paint? I don't think you can buff swirls out of vinyl, but what do I know? 
  2. Do I need to Clay Bar the finish?
  3. What products do I use use?
  4. What steps do I need to take?

In addition to my Subaru, I had my wifes Lexus ES350 ceramic coated as well. I was told me to buy and apply a product to maintain the coating which I did but have NOT used yet. Should I forget using that product and use Adam's Polishes product? If so, which product?

image.png.d7876da73f0471831a6e281ff52a5ce1.png

PLEASE help me figure out what I need and what to do. I sat and watched a hundred videos last night and no one mentions Vinyl Wrapped cars. It would be helpful if someone would address this specific application or even produce a video to address Vinyl.

THANKS in advance for any and all help and suggestions. God I love this Forum.

16 answers to this question

For the longest lasting protection, a coating is the way to go.  But you can protect the wrap with Paint Sealant, or other Adam's products.  Since you have the time you may find those more enjoyable.    

For my wife's Accord I use Paint Sealant in the spring and fall, and top it with H2O Guard & Gloss every 2-3 months as part of a Rinseless Wash.  Others have been happy with using the Coating-type waxes and boosters as their LSP (Last Step Product). 

3 hours ago, mc2hill said:

For the longest lasting protection, a coating is the way to go.  But you can protect the wrap with Paint Sealant, or other Adam's products.  Since you have the time you may find those more enjoyable.    

For my wife's Accord I use Paint Sealant in the spring and fall, and top it with H2O Guard & Gloss every 2-3 months as part of a Rinseless Wash.  Others have been happy with using the Coating-type waxes and boosters as their LSP (Last Step Product). 

THANKS for you help with this. I'm in Ocala area and children live in Winter Park and Melbourne.

Is your wife's Accord wrapped? I'm assuming the Paint Sealant is available in Adam's store? I have the H2O but I'm not sure what exactly a Rinseless Wash is.

So use the coating-type waxes and boosters (assuming ceramic fits in that category) as a last resort?

What kind of prep is necessary: Anything other than a good wash and maybe Clay Bar and apply the Paint Sealant?

30 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

THANKS for you help with this. I'm in Ocala area and children live in Winter Park and Melbourne.

Is your wife's Accord wrapped? I'm assuming the Paint Sealant is available in Adam's store? I have the H2O but I'm not sure what exactly a Rinseless Wash is.

So use the coating-type waxes and boosters (assuming ceramic fits in that category) as a last resort?

What kind of prep is necessary: Anything other than a good wash and maybe Clay Bar and apply the Paint Sealant?

I am very familiar with Crystal River!  

Our Accord is not wrapped, but it does share the same climate at your vehicles.

Yes, Paint Sealant is an Adam's product, and works best when applied to 'bare' paint.  Just wash with Strip Wash (or add 2-3 ounces of All Purpose Cleaner to the wash bucket), and you are ready.

No need to clay unless the paint does not pass the 'baggie' test.  Place your hand in a plastic bag (ziploc, grocery bag, etc.) rub your hand lightly over a clean section of the paint.  If it feels smooth you are done!  If it feels rough it needs to be clayed.

I have not used the coating-type waxes, but perhaps others that have will chime in.

As for Rinseless Washes, you are a prime candidate for them.  Since we don't have to deal with salt on our roads, and I would guess you are mostly driving on paved roads, a Rinseless Wash is a great time saver.  I can wash, seal (H2O G&G), and dry our Accord in 20 minutes, with no swirls.  I usually take about 40 minutes at a leisurely pace, enjoying the garage therapy, but can do faster if I want to.  And the Rinseless wash can be done inside the garage if the weather  isto hot or rainy.  

@SgtLip and @mc2hill Since it looks like we have a triangle between Crystal River, Orlando and Ridge Manor and the map indicates that Groveland may make for a decent meeting place at some point.  I've got another few months before I'll head that way unless the father-in-law needs something., but something worth keeping in mind.

Donald, I come down via 301 to Ocala and then I usually jump on to 75 until we get down to Route 50.  

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

1. Yes, Paint Sealant is an Adam's product, and works best when applied to 'bare' paint.  Just wash with Strip Wash (or add 2-3 ounces of All Purpose Cleaner to the wash bucket), and you are ready.

2. As for Rinseless Washes, you are a prime candidate for them.  Since we don't have to deal with salt on our roads, and I would guess you are mostly driving on paved roads, a Rinseless Wash is a great time saver.  

1. I noticed you say "bare paint". I have Vinyl Wrap, this is okay? Just making sure. 😁  I have some Eco APC, would that be an acceptable substitute?

2. Love it, No Salt except what's in the air. I live 8 miles direct to the Gulf. Only paved roads, however it is a Subaru AWD. I've been tempted to give it a try.

Still a little confused what Rinseless Washes are. Is it too an Adam's product? 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, RayS said:

@SgtLip and @mc2hill Since it looks like we have a triangle between Crystal River, Orlando and Ridge Manor and the map indicates that Groveland may make for a decent meeting place at some point.  I've got another few months before I'll head that way unless the father-in-law needs something., but something worth keeping in mind.

Donald, I come down via 301 to Ocala and then I usually jump on to 75 until we get down to Route 50.  

Would love to meet up.

My mailing address is actually Dunnellon which is Marion County. But since we live in Citrus County we call it Crystal River. I travel 484 a lot. I was in Lady Lake today right there where 301 crosses 484, all this to say, i know where it is.

2 hours ago, SgtLip said:

Still a little confused what Rinseless Washes are. Is it too an Adam's product? 

Yep, it's an Adam's product. Here's the link, and check out the video. It's a great way to easily clean your car, I love it. It also makes a good Waterless Wash at 16:1 at a more economical price point...but you lose the better smell, IMO.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-rinseless-car-wash

Edited by falcaineer

I'm really confused now. The recommendation was to use Paint Sealant and H2O G&G. I went to Amazon and found the Paint Sealant product and scrolled down to the Q&A's.

I found a Q&A that causes me concern about my usage of Adam's Polishes Paint Sealant in my circumstances. I believe I mentioned both my Subaru and Lexus had been Ceramic coated by a detailer using products other than Adam's. There are new portions (front bumper, rook, exterior mirrors and door handles) of vinyl on the Subaru that were recently replaced that have no ceramic or anything.

Here is the question and response:

Answer:
Since this product falls into the synthetic protection family it is not recommended for your ceramic coating. We recommend using a ceramic product to layer on your ceramic coating. Ceramic Boost or Ceramic Spray Coating are great for an existing coating. Thanks! 
By Adam's Polishes, Inc. SELLER  on April 1, 2019

So based on this response, I believe Paint Sealant is NOT the product to use. Or did I misread the response?

Since the Lexus is completely ceramic coated I THINK it says I can use the Ceramic Boost or Ceramic Spray Coating to maintain a different manufacturers ceramic coating. Would this be true?

As for the Subaru, the hood and all sides have been ceramic coated.  The front bumper, roof and mirrors and handles would need to be prepped and coated somehow. And THAT is what I don't know. What steps do I have to take to prepare the new vinyl (both glossy and satin) to complete the ceramic coat of the car? Do I have to strip the existing ceramic coating and apply all new or just the new areas?  I believe I understand I can use the Ceramic Boost or Ceramic Spray Coating to maintain.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Correct, do NOT apply Paint Sealant to a car that's been coated. Sealants like Adams Paint Sealant are acrylic polymer resins and, like coating, need fo bond to bare paint. They also don't pair well with coatings in general.

As for using Adam's on another company's coating, I will defer to others on that. I have read some coatings don't play well with products from other manufacturers.

To prep the new vinyl, do a good strip wash on the uncoated areas, prep those surfaces using the Surface Prep, then coat. You can then use any of the silica-infused products from Adam's line to maintain your new coating.

10 hours ago, falcaineer said:

As for using Adam's on another company's coating, I will defer to others on that. I have read some coatings don't play well with products from other manufacturers.

To prep the new vinyl, do a good strip wash on the uncoated areas, prep those surfaces using the Surface Prep, then coat. You can then use any of the silica-infused products from Adam's line to maintain your new coating.

Thanks Chris. Sounds like a plan.

I purchased the product they told me to use similar to Ceramic Boost so I'll use it on the Lexus that way it wasn't a total waste of money. Once it's gone, I'll try Ceramic Boost or the Ceramic Spray Coating and see how it works.

I appreciate the assistance. Now I'll see what I get in the 2 Mystery Boxes that are on the way before making any additional purchases. 

13 hours ago, SgtLip said:

I'm really confused now. The recommendation was to use Paint Sealant and H2O G&G. I went to Amazon and found the Paint Sealant product and scrolled down to the Q&A's.

I found a Q&A that causes me concern about my usage of Adam's Polishes Paint Sealant in my circumstances. I believe I mentioned both my Subaru and Lexus had been Ceramic coated by a detailer using products other than Adam's. There are new portions (front bumper, rook, exterior mirrors and door handles) of vinyl on the Subaru that were recently replaced that have no ceramic or anything.

Sorry for the confusion.  You mentioned the new wrap on the Subi had not been coated, and I was giving an alternate to applying a coating to that.

3 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Sorry for the confusion.  You mentioned the new wrap on the Subi had not been coated, and I was giving an alternate to applying a coating to that.

NO WORRIES my friend. I just happened onto the Q&A and saw the response. I just wanted to make sure before I really screwed things up.

I appreciate the help, please believe me.

Here are my suggestions based on what I've read. I don't have much experience with ceramic coatings however. 

On the Subaru, I would suggest the strip wash as others have said. I wouldn't polish vinyl. You can use Hand Revive Polish if needed. If the ceramic on the old vinyl is still effective, I would try using Ceramic Spray Coating on the new vinyl. Note, you might see a difference (sheen, dark vs light, etc) between panels based on the different ceramic coatings are used. Once complete you can definitely maintain Adams CSC with Ceramic Boost. I would try CB on the old coating as well but be aware that it may not cooperate. CB is designed to work with Adam's ceramic products so it may react differently with other brand's ceramic coatings. 

For the Lexus, same as above. I would use the suggest maintenance product if you have it. You can try CB to see how it works. If you don't see streaking or ill effects then it should be fine. If you do see issues when using CB, you can go over the car with Revive Hand Polish to remove the CB and then go back to the installer suggested product. I probably wouldn't put CSC over a professionally installed ceramic coating. It would be a waste of product if the coating is designed to have a long lifespan. You should be able to get away with maintenance washes and claying as necessary. 

1 minute ago, Bscott94 said:

Here are my suggestions based on what I've read. I don't have much experience with ceramic coatings however. 

On the Subaru, I would suggest the strip wash as others have said. I wouldn't polish vinyl. You can use Hand Revive Polish if needed. If the ceramic on the old vinyl is still effective, I would try using Ceramic Spray Coating on the new vinyl. Note, you might see a difference (sheen, dark vs light, etc) between panels based on the different ceramic coatings are used. Once complete you can definitely maintain Adams CSC with Ceramic Boost. I would try CB on the old coating as well but be aware that it may not cooperate. CB is designed to work with Adam's ceramic products so it may react differently with other brand's ceramic coatings. 

For the Lexus, same as above. I would use the suggest maintenance product if you have it. You can try CB to see how it works. If you don't see streaking or ill effects then it should be fine. If you do see issues when using CB, you can go over the car with Revive Hand Polish to remove the CB and then go back to the installer suggested product. I probably wouldn't put CSC over a professionally installed ceramic coating. It would be a waste of product if the coating is designed to have a long lifespan. You should be able to get away with maintenance washes and claying as necessary. 

Both the Lexus and portions of the Subaru were ceramic coated back in May. So I'm thinking CB wouldn't be necessary but I don't mind cleaning it up if it needs it. I'm going to try the "baggie test" @mc2hill mentioned earlier. That may tell me if it is necessary. Only question I have is if I do use CB will it mess up the ceramic coating that is there? I heard CB strips finishes but I don't know the impact of ceramic coatings.

1 minute ago, SgtLip said:

Both the Lexus and portions of the Subaru were ceramic coated back in May. So I'm thinking CB wouldn't be necessary but I don't mind cleaning it up if it needs it. I'm going to try the "baggie test" @mc2hill mentioned earlier. That may tell me if it is necessary. Only question I have is if I do use CB will it mess up the ceramic coating that is there? I heard CB strips finishes but I don't know the impact of ceramic coatings.

I haven't heard of CB stripping finishes. I can't see that CB would remove a ceramic coating, especially if it was professionally installed. Pro grade coatings take polishing and wet sanding to remove. A chemical will not remove a ceramic coating unless it was not installed correctly. 

1 minute ago, Bscott94 said:

I haven't heard of CB stripping finishes. I can't see that CB would remove a ceramic coating, especially if it was professionally installed. Pro grade coatings take polishing and wet sanding to remove. A chemical will not remove a ceramic coating unless it was not installed correctly. 

Gotcha. 

That is sort of the problem as to why I'm having to do this. The vinyl wrap was installed poorly and was literally falling off the car in spots and was cut all up and coming loose all over. The roof was wrapped in gloss black but after the ceramic coating was applied it was streaked really bad and looked like crap. So I removed the wrap from roof and spoiler, finished what hadn't already come off of the mirrors and door handles. The front bumper was put on wrong and had to be replaced. Like I said the wrap and ceramic coatings were done in May this year and there isn't much hydrophobic action on them at all. 

Good to know if there is in fact a ceramic coating on there it's still there and maybe by applying the maintenance step will help.

Appreciate the help.