Customer Service 866.965.0400

Let's Talk Ceramic Coating New In Box Wheels **Pic Of Wheels Added**

zw470

Question

Ok, I found a wicked-awesome deal on these and couldn't pass it up even though they're not matte bronze like I initially wanted.  I can't say I'm looking forward to applying the Coating, though  :help:

Turbomac HD [classic]

NzLRAlx.jpg

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a set of wheels for my 4Runner, and will be applying Wheel Coating to help keep them easy to clean.  I want to coat them before my tires are mounted and balanced for 2 reasons.

1. It will be much easier to work with a 20lb wheel than a 71lb wheel/tire combo
  2. They'll never be as clean as they are fresh out of the box (no road grime, brake dust, or tire-mounting lube) - they're matte bronze so they can't be polished

Of course, this leads to the question of how long I would need to wait before having the tires mounted.  I assume the 24hr cure time would be sufficient?  Also, I have a concern about the weights adhering properly to the coated/boosted wheel.  I know at least one person here has had an issue, but others haven't and I've read posts from other forums where people put weights on coated wheels with no problems.  I'm thinking its probably not a big deal, plus since the wheel is matte it won't be anywhere near as slick as a gloss coated/boosted wheel would be.

Edited by zw470

23 answers to this question

Yes, wait the recommended cure time of at least 24 hours. And before they mount them, tell the shop the wheels are ceramic coated. They should be able to take measures to apply the weights, as necessary. Another thought is to have them mounted and balanced first, then coat them, then have them installed on the car. 

And don't forget the before/after pics!!

11 hours ago, zw470 said:

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a set of wheels for my 4Runner, and will be applying Wheel Coating to help keep them easy to clean.  I want to coat them before my tires are mounted and balanced for 2 reasons.

1. It will be much easier to work with a 20lb wheel than a 71lb wheel/tire combo
  2. They'll never be as clean as they are fresh out of the box (no road grime, brake dust, or tire-mounting lube) - they're matte bronze so they can't be polished

Of course, this leads to the question of how long I would need to wait before having the tires mounted.  I assume the 24hr cure time would be sufficient?  Also, I have a concern about the weights adhering properly to the coated/boosted wheel.  I know at least one person here has had an issue, but others haven't and I've read posts from other forums where people put weights on coated wheels with no problems.  I'm thinking its probably not a big deal, plus since the wheel is matte it won't be anywhere near as slick as a gloss coated/boosted wheel would be.

Coating the wheels before installation is defintiely easiest and ensures the wheels are protected from day 1, when they're pristine. That said, your concern regarding difficulty getting weights to adhere is valid. Years ago, in a time before Adam's offered ceramics and before the EPA forced the withdrawal of Quick Sealant from the market, I Quick Sealed a new set of FJ Special Edition Anthracite wheels for my Tacoma before having my son (who worked at Discount Tire) mount and balance the tires. He had a LOT of trouble getting the tape weights to adhere, requiring an alcohol scrub of the area and heating the weights to soften the adhesive. Ceramic coatings are slicker and sturdier than Quick Sealant...

I suggest applying a strip of tape over the area where weights will go (usually the outer part of the barrel behind the face of the rim) the apply the coating. This will give the weights a place to stick and will be easy enough to clean down the road. A 1” wide length of tape will do. 

Had a bear of a time getting weights to stick on my SS after coating. I will use tape next time. 

Edited by GXPaycheck

15 minutes ago, GXPaycheck said:

I suggest applying a strip of tape over the area where weights will go (usually the outer part of the barrel behind the face of the rim) the apply the coating. This will give the weights a place to stick and will be easy enough to clean down the road. A 1” length of tape will do. 

Had a bear of a time getting weights to stick on my SS after coating. I will use tape next time. 

Typically with new wheels and new tires you have no idea where the weights will need to be placed. You say a 1" length of tape in the barrel where the weights will go. Before balancing you have no idea where the weights will need to get stuck. Do you mean a 1" width of tape completely around the barrel?

Edited by SgtLip

3 minutes ago, zw470 said:

So just mask a 1" area on the barrel where the weights would go and then don't worry about that strip being uncoated?

tape.jpg

That's what I thought as well. But the response was 1" length of tape where the weights go. 

The tire store should be able to abrade/polish the area where the weights will be placed as long as you tell them they're coated. If they're unfamiliar with the process, consider asking another employee or taking it elsewhere. My two cents.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, SgtLip said:

Typically with new wheels and new tires you have no idea where the weights will need to be placed. You say a 1" length of tape in the barrel where the weights will go. Before balancing you have no idea where the weights will need to get stuck. Do you mean a 1" width of tape completely around the barrel?

Yes.  I corrected the original post. My bad. 

Tire shop could use something to remove the coating from the weight area, but that would be a waste of product. 

Edited by GXPaycheck
Can’t proofread for €£¥§!

1 hour ago, zw470 said:

Teaser :willy:

QwGpydL.jpg

I got out my Eco APC and all my brushes to clean off the lube, but because of the Wheel Coating it just hosed right off :secret:

Those look Sweeeeet. I wish they had them in my size (I looked). I can't really tell but with the picture provided, they look good on your vehicle.

57 minutes ago, zw470 said:

Ok, I ran out of time before I had to leave for the airport so this is the only pic I have of the whole 4Runner. 

A87jwL5.jpg

They look great. And look at them water beads on them wheels and the 4Runner!!! The wheels look nice on the 4Runner. I think you mentioned awhile back you couldn't get them in Bronze. I think I like this color a lot better on your vehicle. Good choice.