Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber towel cleaning

brihvac

Question

Isn't it bad to wash microfibers in your house washer? I would think all the wax, compound, etc would get into the washer and ruin your clothes after that. From all I have read they want you to wash your microfibers after every use. Even your drying towels.

Edited by brihvac

18 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Isn't it bad to wash microfibers in your house washer? I would think all the wax, compound, etc would get into the washer and ruin your clothes after that. From all I have read they want you to wash your microfibers after every use. Even your drying towels.

I do it all the time, as do most others. The MRB breaks it all down, and I haven't seen any ill effects on clothes. I wash most after every use, but not the drying ones, and it may be a while between washes so I store them in a bucket.

P.S. Moving this to the Towel and Accessory thread...

And here's a thread on cleaning them, if you haven't seen it already.

3 minutes ago, brihvac said:

I rinse my towels after use to get he majority of the chemicals out of them.   Then they go into a bucket and once I have enough for a small load, the wife is gracious enough to wash them.  When I'm traveling, I don't always get the chance to rinse them properly and I've had a couple that need to be pre-soaked in hot water to ensure the chemicals came out.   I never had a problem with anything being left in the washing machine.

As for my drying towels, I do not wash them after each use, I hang them to dry and have never had a problem.

5 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

I do it all the time, as do most others. The MRB breaks it all down, and I haven't seen any ill effects on clothes. I wash mine after every use, but it may be a while between washes.

P.S. Moving this to the Towel and Accessory thread...

And here's a thread on cleaning them, if you haven't seen it already.

I have seen that and all the other info I find on the net contradicts what it says.

36 minutes ago, brihvac said:

I have seen that and all the other info I find on the net contradicts what it says.

All I can say is that process works for me and, from what I've read, others on here. But ultimately they're your towels and it's your call on how to clean them. Either way, I hope they come out clean and ready to make more shine!

I haven't had to wash any yet myself. But I'm thinking of taking them to the coin laundry when required. My wife has done told me NO! She said I don't care what kind of soap you say you need and use. So to me, it's worth the trip to town to use their machines. In addition, my wife doesn't use hot water to wash with. So there is no water hose from the hot tap to the washer. There is another product I ran across that says to use cold water. So by using the coin laundry I'll have access to hot water wash if necessary.

I just watched a Adams "water cooler" video on YouTube and even the guy there said you might not want to wash them in your household washer. Also he said the rejuvenation spray is just an additive. You still have to use soap. Also everything I have read has said to always wash your good microfibers in cold water and very low heat dry.

6 hours ago, brihvac said:

4 hours ago, brihvac said:

I just watched a Adams "water cooler" video on YouTube and even the guy there said you might not want to wash them in your household washer. Also he said the rejuvenation spray is just an additive. You still have to use soap. Also everything I have read has said to always wash your good microfibers in cold water and very low heat dry.

I've washed my microfiber in our household washer for nearly a decade with ZERO ill-effects on anything (i.e., the microfiber, the washer, the dryer, or other clothing/fabrics washed/dried separately in the machines).  I soak my towels in water with MRB amd white vinegar immediately following use, until I wash them. I pre-treat heavily-soiled areas with APC and wash in hot water with dye-free/perfume-free liquid HE detergent and extra rinse cycle. I dry them on low heat and no softner, usually pulling them before completely dry and allowing them to air-dry for that last little bit.

Since microfiber can be "rejuvenated" with a dip in boiling (200+ degrees) water and white vinegar solution, I don't see how hot tap water (~115 degrees) is going to hurt the towels.

5 hours ago, SgtLip said:

My wife has done told me NO! She said I don't care what kind of soap you say you need and use.

LOL! I never asked. I've just always washed/dried my microfiber in the household washer/dryer we both helped buy and pay to operate. There's no way I'm trundling to a laundromat and using machines that have had God only knows what in them, when we have perfectly good, clean machines a few steps from my garage.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

I've washed my microfiber in our household washer for nearly a decade with ZERO ill-effects on anything (i.e., the microfiber, the washer, the dryer, or other clothing/fabrics washed/dried separately in the machines).  I soak my towels in water with MRB amd white vinegar immediately following use, until I wash them. I pre-treat heavily-soiled areas with APC and wash in hot water with dye-free/perfume-free liquid HE detergent and extra rinse cycle. I dry them on low heat and no softner, usually pulling them before completely dry and allowing them to air-dry for that last little bit.

Since microfiber can be "rejuvenated" with a dip in boiling (200+ degrees) water and white vinegar solution, I don't see how hot tap water (~115 degrees) is going to hurt the towels.

LOL! I never asked. I've just always washed/dried my microfiber in the household washer/dryer we both helped buy and pay to operate. There's no way I'm trundling to a laundromat and using machines that have had God only knows what in them, when we have perfectly good, clean machines a few steps from my garage.

MRB? Do you soak them immediately after use then let them dry or are you using that many towels that you are washing that often? I might be washing every 2 months or so except my drying towels.

1 hour ago, brihvac said:

MRB? Do you soak them immediately after use then let them dry or are you using that many towels that you are washing that often? I might be washing every 2 months or so except my drying towels.

Microfiber Revitalizer and Brightener, https://adamspolishes.com/collections/plush-microfiber-detailing-towels/products/adam-s-microfiber-revitalizer-brightener

Like @Norton, I've also gone years washing mine almost exclusively with MRB and warm water and my towels, washer and clothes are going strong. I do air dry my towels, though. I can verify I have boiled them before, too, after they were mistakenly washed with regular laundry detergent (not by me 😬) and all is well with the towels.

15 hours ago, brihvac said:

I recommend 'cleaning' the washer before putting in your expensive towels, and cleaning it again when you are done to keep all the grime out of the regular wash.

Before you start: Use the washers 'clean' setting, if it has one.  If not pick up some Tide Washing Machine Cleaner, and use it according to the directions.

As other have said, pre-soak the towels to help remove product from them.  It is up to you how you break them down, but I do 'wash' towels (wash, dry, glass, mitts), 'polish+wax' towels, work towels, black towels (some will run, some will not), and finally my terry cloth work towels.  Always two rinses.

To leave the machine ready for other laundry run the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner thru it according to the directions.

14 hours ago, SgtLip said:

I haven't had to wash any yet myself. But I'm thinking of taking them to the coin laundry when required. My wife has done told me NO! She said I don't care what kind of soap you say you need and use. So to me, it's worth the trip to town to use their machines. In addition, my wife doesn't use hot water to wash with. So there is no water hose from the hot tap to the washer. There is another product I ran across that says to use cold water. So by using the coin laundry I'll have access to hot water wash if necessary.

I would be careful with the commercial machines.  You don't know what has been thru them that could affect your towels, and the hot settings could damage your towels.

This my addition to the 'How to wash the microfiber towels?' thread:

I attended a class at Mobile Tech Expo on Friday presented by The Rag Company titled 'Microfiber 101'.  A whole hour on microfiber, and it was very interesting! 

• They do recommend pre-soaking, if you have time, and an APC will work, but as Dan said, MFBR will work fine too.  They also recommended soaking a coating (or H20 G&G) towel ASAP to remove as much residue as possible.  It is up to you if you want to use the coating removal/leveling towel again on paint, or demote it.  
  • They recommended adding a few ounces of distilled white vinegar to the bleach tray, but NOT to the wash.  If added with the soap it will reduce the cleaning level of the soap. 
  • It was also recommended to skip the Hot setting, as MF can melt at 140F, and some hot water heaters may be set to that, or higher.  I use the Hot setting for my white polishing towels without issue, but your results may differ. 

And just a few things that 'everybody already knows' about microfiber:

• Never use bleach or fabric softener
  • Never use anything above Low heat on the dryer
  • Never use dryer sheets when drying
  • NEVER wash cotton towels with MF towels

16 hours ago, brihvac said:

Apologies for the unexplained acronym. Mine go in to soak immediately following use. I maintain three vehicles, plus my son sometimes uses my stuff on his truck, so they probably don't sit/soak more than a week or two.

14 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Microfiber Revitalizer and Brightener, https://adamspolishes.com/collections/plush-microfiber-detailing-towels/products/adam-s-microfiber-revitalizer-brightener

Like @Norton, I've also gone years washing mine almost exclusively with MRB and warm water and my towels, washer and clothes are going strong. I do air dry my towels, though. I can verify I have boiled them before, too, after they were mistakenly washed with regular laundry detergent (not by me 😬) and all is well with the towels.

Thanks for clarifying my acronym. I forgot to mention I've boiled many of mine at least once, just because I wanted to see how it worked. While I can't say it made them "like new," it certainly didn't do them any harm. 

11 hours ago, mc2hill said:

I recommend 'cleaning' the washer before putting in your expensive towels, and cleaning it again when you are done to keep all the grime out of the regular wash.

Before you start: Use the washers 'clean' setting, if it has one.  If not pick up some Tide Washing Machine Cleaner, and use it according to the directions.

As other have said, pre-soak the towels to help remove product from them.  It is up to you how you break them down, but I do 'wash' towels (wash, dry, glass, mitts), 'polish+wax' towels, work towels, black towels (some will run, some will not), and finally my terry cloth work towels.  Always two rinses.

To leave the machine ready for other laundry run the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner thru it according to the directions.

I would be careful with the commercial machines.  You don't know what has been thru them that could affect your towels, and the hot settings could damage your towels.

This my addition to the 'How to wash the microfiber towels?' thread:

I attended a class at Mobile Tech Expo on Friday presented by The Rag Company titled 'Microfiber 101'.  A whole hour on microfiber, and it was very interesting! 

• They do recommend pre-soaking, if you have time, and an APC will work, but as Dan said, MFBR will work fine too.  They also recommended soaking a coating (or H20 G&G) towel ASAP to remove as much residue as possible.  It is up to you if you want to use the coating removal/leveling towel again on paint, or demote it.  
  • They recommended adding a few ounces of distilled white vinegar to the bleach tray, but NOT to the wash.  If added with the soap it will reduce the cleaning level of the soap. 
  • It was also recommended to skip the Hot setting, as MF can melt at 140F, and some hot water heaters may be set to that, or higher.  I use the Hot setting for my white polishing towels without issue, but your results may differ. 

And just a few things that 'everybody already knows' about microfiber:

• Never use bleach or fabric softener
  • Never use anything above Low heat on the dryer
  • Never use dryer sheets when drying
  • NEVER wash cotton towels with MF towels

FWIW, I've never done anything special to the washer or dryer (aside from making sure they were empty) before processing my MF.  Also, if your water heater dispenses 140+ degree water, you risk scalding anyone who inadvertantly pushes the handle too far to the left.  Unless someone in your household has a suppressed immune system, something closer to 120 degrees is considered optimal. Obviously, YMMV.

Aside from that, I agree with the other recommendations (i.e., pre-soak, no commercial machines, two rinses, vinegar in the bleach tray, no bleach, no fabric softener, no dryer sheets, no other fabrics mixed-in). 

I solved the washing machine thing....I just bought a new one to dedicate to microfibers. They sell those small compact ones and a guy on the FB detailing page had a big right up on one. I guess I will soak immediately after every use and wash at the end of the week. I am going to wash in All free and clear. Can I spray Simple Green directly on the tough stains on the towel to remove them? should I do that in the soak or before I wash?

39 minutes ago, brihvac said:

I solved the washing machine thing....I just bought a new one to dedicate to microfibers. They sell those small compact ones and a guy on the FB detailing page had a big right up on one. I guess I will soak immediately after every use and wash at the end of the week. I am going to wash in All free and clear. Can I spray Simple Green directly on the tough stains on the towel to remove them? should I do that in the soak or before I wash?

I have been pretty successful using an APC when I soak them innitially or spraying directly into the towel. Normally if I can, I also like to used my pressure washer or any high pressure to try and blow some of the big stuff out of the towel.

2 hours ago, brihvac said:

Didn't know there was a Door #3! I don't even have a place for another washer 😵. Good to hear you found something you're comfortable with. 👍

4 hours ago, brihvac said:

I usually just put a few oz of APC or a microfiber cleaner in the bucket and let is soak.  But if you have bad stains then pre-treat them too.  The stains don't affect how the towels work, but don't look nice on the white towels.