Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drying aid

brihvac

Question

1 hour ago, brihvac said:

After completely drying I used ceramic boost on my ceramic coated truck and it was really smeary. Not sure what I did wrong 

Possibly used too much. A little goes a long way. Start with maybe 5-6 sprays on the hood, then 2-3 per panel the rest of the way. If it starts to streak, consider changing towels because it may be building up in there. Also, what towels did you use?

9 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Can I use the detail spray as a drying aid on a ceramic coated vehicle? I know you can use it on a regular car but was not sure on a ceramic coated one.

It’s not the most recommended thing, but yes. when you get your Ceramic Waterless wash, definitely use that though.

I have used DS in the past on my ceramic coat and no ill effects. But I don’t and won’t do it very often. I’ll see if I can find a post where I used it and submitted pictures.

34 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

It’s not the most recommended thing, but yes. when you get your Ceramic Waterless wash, definitely use that though.

I have used DS in the past on my ceramic coat and no ill effects. But I don’t and won’t do it very often. I’ll see if I can find a post where I used it and submitted pictures.

I can use the waterless wash as a drying aid? I’m not too confident I am going to get it anytime soon 

Yeah use ceramic waterless wash as a drying aid. It’s awesome. Here’s a thread about it:

if you look through this thread on page 3, I posted some pictures of using mega foam and detail spray on a ceramic coated car - sorry I’m sending you to the thread, The only thing I’m tryibg to show you is my post of when I used details spray on a ceramic coating:

Hey Brian,

I think you’ll get a lot of different opinions here, I’ll even add mine but...

Here are two videos in case you haven’t seen them yet...

I use DS on my CC truck evry other wash,  but on the windows everytime, so they have that nice glow.  Then I use CW the times I dont use the DS (also in between washes as needed )

And then every4-6 weeks use Boost.  But as Adam does, I use Boost on the wheels every single time.

Edited by Nickfire20

56 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Possibly used too much. A little goes a long way. Start with maybe 5-6 sprays on the hood, then 2-3 per panel the rest of the way. If it starts to streak, consider changing towels because it may be building up in there. Also, what towels did you use?

I just used a regular thin microfiber. Nothing fluffy which is what I probably should have used. Do you just spray on and wipe off or are you supposed to just spread it around some, let sit for a few seconds, then wipe off?

Edited by brihvac

I just used a regular thin microfiber. Nothing fluffy which is what I probably should have used. Do you just spray on and wipe off or are you supposed to just spread it around some, let sit for a few seconds, then wipe off?

I normally have like 2-3 towels ready to go per vehicle when I’m doing ceramic boost. Normally double soft towels.

Normally It takes two wipes. One for application and then I don’t think you have to wait at all, but follow up the initial wipe with a dry towel or a dry side of your towel and level it off to a high shine. If you don’t level it off (or if your towel is too saturated), similarly to a ceramic coating application, you will leave streaks which turn into high spots when they dry.

10 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

I normally have like 2-3 towels ready to go per vehicle when I’m doing ceramic boost. Normally double soft towels.

Normally It takes two wipes. One for application and then I don’t think you have to wait at all, but follow up the initial wipe with a dry towel or a dry side of your towel and level it off to a high shine. If you don’t level it off (or if your towel is too saturated), similarly to a ceramic coating application, you will leave streaks which turn into high spots when they dry.

Yes, it looks horrible. I even went back over it again with the boost and it still looks like you say. Gonna have to buff it or something which is gonna take the coating off. Think I’m done with the ceramic coating. Too much work with the upkeep. Didn’t think boost was gonna do that. Gonna go back to a sealant. All that work now I have to buff it off

Edited by brihvac

10 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Yes, it looks horrible. I even went back over it again with the boost and it still looks like you say. Gonna have to buff it or something which is gonna take the coating off. Think I’m done with the ceramic coating. Too much work with the upkeep. Didn’t think boost was gonna do that. Gonna go back to a sealant. All that work now I have to buff it off

You don't necessarily have to polish it off unless you just want to start over. Add a few ounces of APC in your normal wash bucket of soap and give it a wash. It'll remove the Boost, but leave the coating. 

Sounds like the towels were the culprit here, though. A thin microfiber won't spread it as evenly, instead just smearing it around. Sorry for your frustration, but all is not lost...

6 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

You don't necessarily have to polish it off unless you just want to start over. Add a few ounces of APC in your normal wash bucket of soap and give it a wash. It'll remove the Boost, but leave the coating. 

Sounds like the towels were the culprit here, though. A thin microfiber won't spread it as evenly, instead just smearing it around. Sorry for your frustration, but all is not lost...

It’s not been my week. LOL

Will just regular washing it eventually take it out? I use a PH balanced wash

So use a fluffy microfiber for application ?

I'm following a routine like @Nickfire20 on one of the vehicle as part of my experimentation and it seems to be working rather well.  The one thing that I do with Boost when I'm using it is to follow the wet application method.  I have found it is easier to work with and by keeping it thin, I have not had any streaks.  I had always used Detail Spray since there wasn't really anything else for a drying aid at the time never had a problem.

For the wheels, except the Range Rover, that have Ceramic Boost on them, I use Eco Wheel Cleaner and and go over them with CB not more than every other week.  The Ranger Rover is a different animal and requires Wheel Cleaner and I use CB on it every time since Wheel Cleaner seems to completely remove the CB.  

I also used made the mistake on one vehicle with Ceramic Paste Wax and grabbed the regular waterless wash and used it as a drying aid and it worked fine.  I have not saw any ill effects on the vehicle or breading properties.  I do like using the Ceramic Waterless Wash and am looking forward to the day that we have SIO2 based Detail Spray - hopefully that chemical compounds will allow one to be created.

Almost forgot that I took this picture today.  The window was done with Detail Spray and the side of the truck, please forgive the blue color, was done with Ceramic Boost applied using the wet method.  The truck itself was done with Ceramic Spray Coating on the August 11th and this was first application of CB on the truck.

IMG_0501.JPG

Edited by RayS

2 hours ago, brihvac said:

It’s not been my week. LOL

Will just regular washing it eventually take it out? I use a PH balanced wash

So use a fluffy microfiber for application ?

🥺 We live and learn, Brian. Thus the reason why I created the Don't Dos of Detailing thread. I think I'm also the preeminent poster on there 😆

Eventually it will, yes. But it may take a while since it's designed to be a pretty durable product. And yes, use either a Single, Double or Borderless Grey towel. Plush towels are always best to use with it as they seem to retain just the right amount while spreading it evenly. If you don't have any, PM me...I might be able to hook you up.

3 hours ago, RayS said:

I'm following a routine like @Nickfire20 on one of the vehicle as part of my experimentation and it seems to be working rather well.  The one thing that I do with Boost when I'm using it is to follow the wet application method.  I have found it is easier to work with and by keeping it thin, I have not had any streaks.  I had always used Detail Spray since there wasn't really anything else for a drying aid at the time never had a problem.

For the wheels, except the Range Rover, that have Ceramic Boost on them, I use Eco Wheel Cleaner and and go over them with CB not more than every other week.  The Ranger Rover is a different animal and requires Wheel Cleaner and I use CB on it every time since Wheel Cleaner seems to completely remove the CB.  

I also used made the mistake on one vehicle with Ceramic Paste Wax and grabbed the regular waterless wash and used it as a drying aid and it worked fine.  I have not saw any ill effects on the vehicle or breading properties.  I do like using the Ceramic Waterless Wash and am looking forward to the day that we have SIO2 based Detail Spray - hopefully that chemical compounds will allow one to be created.

Almost forgot that I took this picture today.  The window was done with Detail Spray and the side of the truck, please forgive the blue color, was done with Ceramic Boost applied using the wet method.  The truck itself was done with Ceramic Spray Coating on the August 11th and this was first application of CB on the truck.

IMG_0501.JPG

In both those videos they are using regular detail spray as a drying aid on a ceramic coated vehicle. What do you mean by the wet method of applying Ceramic boost?

Edited by brihvac

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

🥺 We live and learn, Brian. Thus the reason why I created the Don't Dos of Detailing thread. I think I'm also the preeminent poster on there 😆

Eventually it will, yes. But it may take a while since it's designed to be a pretty durable product. And yes, use either a Single, Double or Borderless Grey towel. Plush towels are always best to use with it as they seem to retain just the right amount while spreading it evenly. If you don't have any, PM me...I might be able to hook you up.

So if I use a APC it will take those shadows out and not strip the ceramic coating? I take it I should apply the boost again after that.

So if I use a APC it will take those shadows out and not strip the ceramic coating? I take it I should apply the boost again after that.

Correct, assuming the shadows are from the Boost and not the coating. The fine grade clay is another option that won't affect the coating, either. Then reapply with the plush towels, trying the wet application method this time and only a few sprays per panel.

Hey Brian,  sorry you’re having a rough week.  Hang in there.  Your hard work has not been ruined!  Please don’t buff of your gorgeous coating!  BTW do you have a pic?

Moving along, everything the others have mentioned seem to work well.

Remember how I said I Boost my wheels every wash,  well...not one time, but twice now, I have sprayed my wheels on a windy day, and the overspray from the boost dries on my car and windows.  Talk about a pain, those specific times, APC, did not work, neither did clay, and neither did Brilliant Glaze, which are all recommended for things like this..... I had to use Revive Hand polish, then re-Boost in fear that I may have removed some coating.  

Moving along to today, we got got back from OCMD, a few days ago, so I wanted to wash her up real nice like.  I even took the center caps off the wheels...well with that I found some funk on them that I cant get off.  While they look fine outside and while standing and looking at them, but under close inspection with an LED light they look like crap.  Not sure what it is, but a little bit of Revive, followed by Ceramic Paste Wax at 11pm tonight is certainly making them perfect again

(The red circles are the completed sections)

0EE62FAE-D8F3-4ED4-8C37-5118B3695E71.jpeg

7 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Correct, assuming the shadows are from the Boost and not the coating. The fine grade clay is another option that won't affect the coating, either. Then reapply with the plush towels, trying the wet application method this time and only a few sprays per panel.

What is the wet method? Is it using boost like a drying aid?

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

Does yours say anything about glass? I'm starting to think you may have Ceramic Boost 1.0. How long have you had it?

Just got it last week. The 64oz bottle. I wouldn’t be surprised if I got the old stuff. It’s just my luck. I saw nothing on it that says about glass. 

Edited by brihvac

29 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Just got it last week. The 64oz bottle. I wouldn’t be surprised if I got the old stuff. It’s just my luck. I saw nothing on it that says about glass. 

64OZ? If it looks like the one on the left in the picture below, you should have the most recent formula.

image.png.5b52313fce72ea337f1c9ff618aac24a.png

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

64OZ? If it looks like the one on the left in the picture below, you should have the most recent formula.

image.png.5b52313fce72ea337f1c9ff618aac24a.png

Yes, the left is what it looks like. I also have a 12oz bottle that looks like the left

20 minutes ago, brihvac said:

Yes, the left is what it looks like. I also have a 12oz bottle that looks like the left

Got it, so you have the right forumla. It just doesn't have instructions for the wet application method. I'll see if I can find a picture, or I can take one when I get home.