Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Detailing

dfettero

As I wait patiently (or not so for months) for my new Torch Red C8 Corvette it would be great to see an article on new car detailing.

I have the 15 and 21 mm swirl killers.  The Torch Red reveal car just pops.

What about the interior?  Most leathers are coated.

Edited by dfettero

1 hour ago, dfettero said:

As I wait patiently (or not so for months) for my new Torch Red C8 Corvette it would be great to see an article on new car detailing.

I have the 15 and 21 mm swirl killers.  The Torch Red reveal car just pops.

What about the interior?  Most leathers are coated.

Hi Dean,

Think about what your goals are for the detail. Is the car already ceramic coated or what kind of protection does it have on it? Do you want to keep that protection? Add more? Change the type of protection?Another thing I learned, is to read your owners manual under exterior maintenance to see if they anything funky going on on the vehicle.

Personally, I would follow the same procedure as I would with any vehicle.

That means I would do the following:

1. Strip Wash - helps to break down any previous protection

2. Decontaminate - Even new vehicles have been exposed to the road. They had to be trasnported so whether it traveled by train or truck, there will probably be brake dust, tar, iron contamination, etc which is stuck in the clear coat. Use Iron Remover and a Clay Bar (probably Fine Grade since contamination will be minor)

3. Polish - this step is probably the biggest difference between new vehicles and not new vehicles. Since the paint is new, there won't be very many defects. Using Adams Finishing Polish will probably take care of most things, while using Adams Heavy Correcting Compound will more than likely be overkill. Make sure to inspect to the paint and do a test spot (2x2) and start with the least abbrasive to see how you like your results. I have in the past opted to skip the polishing step because I though the paint was in good condition. Although, that is certainly an option, I would highly recommend using Revive Hand Polish at the minimum. It is the least abbrasive polish that Adam's carries and it will really bring out your paint. It's a great product!

4. Protect - If you're not sure what you want to use for protection, I will link this article, which highlights the difference in protections to see which would best fit you and your style.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, there are very helpful people with helpful experiences on here.

Really all depends on how nitty and gritty you want to get. Seeing as you have two polishers I imagine you're quite a detail addict.

Personally, I simply strip wash the car, clay it, hand polish any areas I see need a touch of love, and then seal it with a sealant, and after the next wash I topcoat with Americana.

For the interior, I like to enjoy the new car smell for awhile before I touch anything, so I just wipe away light dirt with a damp cloth as needed. After awhile I'll do a light interior clean and dress it. 

Since the post mentions Red, lots of pictures are needed, before, during and after the treatment.    While it may be difficult to convince the dealer, I highly recommend telling them not to wash it before delivery to you.  I have managed that with the last two vehicles and really helped reduce issues, swirls, etc., from being introduced onto the vehicle.

As for the interior,  I use NOTHING except the Leather Conditioner in my rides.  1. Because they don't get dirty. 2.  Because the daily is new and I love the SPF of 65 in the Conditioner.  That's more than the 50 SPF I use on my arms!!  3. The last car I traded in was 10 years old and the leather (seats, etc) still looked brand new and had only been treated with Adam's.  So there ya go.

What @Rich said, plus it smells great.  If you have the heated and and cooled seats, you can use it without worry.  I put in the wife's Denali seats and dash a few days after purchase and then one month later as second coat and they look and feel fantastic, once it gets three months old, it will go to a regular routine.  My Colorado and daughters Range Rover seats and dash get done every 3 months.

One thing I also do is to coat it really well before I store the car for the winter.  I got the new Interior Protection Paste a couple months ago, and plan on using that in two months when I store the car, and then in the spring  I hopefully will be able to tell if one is better than the other for long term protection.