Customer Service 866.965.0400

is the ceramic coating safe on fresh powder coated wheels?

Stingray230sx

Question

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

Compatible, yes. But I recommend you talk to the paint shop to see when it's safe to ceramic coat them. It's probably fine now, but just in case, there may be a cure time you're not aware of.

thanks, they were finished Monday, and I picked them up yesterday, been in my hot minivan since then....I will get ahold of the guy but I do imagine they are curing up nice , and I haven't even ordered any ceramic stuff yet, lol

2 hours ago, red94chev said:

I would say they should be fine.  Any curing would be done during the baking process.

Correct, with powder coated finishes, the curing process is much different than curing of an automotive clear coat. The powder coated part cures while being baked at a proper temperature and time, then there would be about a 30-minute to 1-hour cool down time, so you would be good to go to apply the Ceramic Wheel Coating right after that if you desired. With painted and clear coated surfaces though, most body shops will typically say anywhere from 30-90 days for the clear coat to fully cure before applying a sealant, wax, ceramic coating, etc.

Will the Ceramic Coating adhere to the powder coated wheels or do I have to rattle can 2k clear coat them first and then ceramic coat after clear cures? is sanding a consideration?

And then there is CERAKOTE.  Wish they had this in a rattle can.  

9 hours ago, sactown808 said:

Will the Ceramic Coating adhere to the powder coated wheels or do I have to rattle can 2k clear coat them first and then ceramic coat after clear cures? is sanding a consideration?

And then there is CERAKOTE.  Wish they had this in a rattle can.  

Yes, you can coat powder coated wheels. Just make sure they are fully clean and prepped beforehand.

As for the discussion about our competitor's product, please note our user agreement does not allow extended discussions. We appreciate your membership and look forward to any questions you have.