Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help with choosing best products for my situation

John707

Question

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a new 2019 pearl white Chevy Tahoe and want to get this thing fully detailed inside and out. I have researched and came to conclusion Adam's is the products I want to use. Heck, even the official Chevrolet website sells/recommends them so they must be awesome!

My short intro---I use to work detail at a Ford dealership in my early 20s for a few years. Flash forward 15 years I know am married with a 6/5/2 year olds. Lets just say life is hectic right now! And time I will have to complete my exterior detail is limited.

What I am looking for is the quickest but best way to clay and wax the exterior. I was leaning on Adams medium clay mitt but the waxes I am lost. I do want to clay, polish, and then seal the paint for sure. I don't think my budget includes an electric polisher so I may be stuck doing by hand unless there are a super budget friendly polisher on the market? 

Any recommendations please? Thank you all! 

I tried to take a photo here of the dust/dirt build up. Wondering if this is too much for waterless wash to handle? You can see my sample test area from earlier on the left and dirt on right.

20191013_154448.jpg

Edited by John707

8 minutes ago, John707 said:

I tried to take a photo here of the dust/dirt build up. Wondering if this is too much for waterless wash to handle? You can see my sample test area from earlier on the left and dirt of right.

20191013_154448.jpg

It doesn't appear excessive to me. BUT I'm a novice. I stripped and applied Ceramic Spray to my new car today. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. I typically just ran it through the chemical tunnel. So please don't take my word for it. I would say if you feel uncomfortable about using Waterless Wash, go a different direction until such time as you experiment more or until you do feel comfortable using it. Just my $0.02 cents. 

Can you guys give a recommendation for the best Tire/wheel cleaner? I see a few different Adam's cleaner products confused as to which one to try. I will use the regular foam car shampoo but once in a while want to deep clean the tires. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, John707 said:

Can you guys give a recommendation for the best Tire/wheel cleaner? I see a few different Adam's cleaner products confused as to which one to try. I will use the regular foam car shampoo but once in a while want to deep clean the tires. Thanks!

Yes of course,

the reason for so many products seems to be to accommodate peoples needs. Depending on what type of wheels you have, you can determine which product you may need. so start by thinking about what you have on your vehicle.

Wheels-

Wheel Cleaner - Not for delicate wheels. Basically the best wheel cleaner I've ever used. It's a very powerful cleaner with an iron remover built in. This one will turn purple as it reacts with ferrous materials, that's how you know its working. This is my favorite for my wheels so far. Fair warning, Wheel Cleaner doesn't smell the best, I like to wear gloves when I use it.

Eco Wheel Cleaner- This is good for delicate wheels, like after market wheels and black wheels. This is a good cleaner which won't stain those delicate wheels if used properly. Smells pretty good, and people love it. I put it pretty close to Eco All Purpose Cleaner in my book. No iron remover built in here

Tire and Wheel Cleaner- All in one product. Made to tackle wheel and tires. on wheels - No iron remover built in, but a very strong cleaner even using it diluted to half strength. Gets rid of build up pretty easily. Reminds me of All Purpose Cleaner.

Tires-

Tire and Rubber Cleaner - Great for cleaning rubber. This could be for tires, rubber trim, rubber pieces in an engine bay, etc. Really one of my favorite products. This turns orange-brown as you agitate to tell you that the tire is dirty. When I plan to use Tire Shine or Tire Armour after the cleaning, I make sure to do multiple passes until the Tire and Rubber Cleaner no longer turns orangey-brown but foams up white. One of my favorite products.

Tire and Wheel Cleaner- All in one product. Made to tackle wheel and tires. on tires - VERY EFFECTIVE. Treat it like Tire and Rubber Cleaner on Tires, but it seems to pull dirt out way quicker. As soon as it hits the tire it seems to turn orange. Crazy. This also left my tire the most bare I've ever seen it. I like to use this on my tires more than I like to use it on my wheels.

All Purpose Cleaner and Eco All Purpose Cleaner can also be used for Wheels and Tires, but I like using the dedicated wheel and tire products.

Keep in mind all of these are strong cleaners, and should be used as instructed. You never want to give these enough time to dry on the surface.

perfectly stated @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin  

My only other thought to help you decide, do you Detail weekly (or more), monthly or at longer intervals?? 
Because I feel that Eco Wc works great if you are cleaning weekly.  If your going longer between washes, reg WC is probably a better choice.  The WC is support strong and works well esp if wheels are real dirty

I'm in agreement with @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin and @tlbullet and will add one more point on the Eco Wheel Cleaner is that for the wheels that I've coated or am using Ceramic Boost on, they Eco version works great. 

For the fabric wheel wells, I've started using Eco APC on them.  I spray them down, go over them with a wheel well brush and then hose them off.  The Eco version does not foam as much and regular APC and cleans the wheel wells just was well.  

3 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

A key point for WW’ing, is when wiping, always lift your towel, go in straights lines, flip towel after each swipe, never go back and forth, you will be smearing dirt and consequently scratching.

@Nickfire20 I just applied CSC to my car over the weekend. The plan is to wash it and use Ceramic Waterless Wash as a drying aid weekly. Does the process you mention above apply when using it as a drying aid? (when wiping, always lift your towel, go in straights lines, flip towel after each swipe, never go back and forth)

Edited by SgtLip

8 hours ago, SgtLip said:

@Nickfire20 I just applied CSC to my car over the weekend. The plan is to wash it and use Ceramic Waterless Wash as a drying aid weekly. Does the process you mention above apply when using it as a drying aid? (when wiping, always lift your towel, go in straights lines, flip towel after each swipe, never go back and forth)

No sir, it would not apply during drying,  of course always use caution, make sure your towel is clean,  I do at times go in different directions, but it would be safer to be methodical about it and go in straight lines.

Key take away, is that most damage happens during the wash/dry process.  

Edited by Nickfire20

9 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

No sir, it would not apply during drying,  of course always use caution, make sure your towel is clean,  I do at times go in different directions, but it would be safer to be methodical about it and go in straight lines.

Key take away, is that most damage happens during the wash/dry process.  

Thanks Again @Nickfire20.  By the way, not sure if that is your Shepard in the little picture, but it is beautiful.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, RayS said:

For large vehicles, I'll use the Adam's Car Wash Wedge which works exceptionally well on motorhomes, campers and enclosed trailers, garage doors and similar large surface areas.

@RayS Just curious, the Garage Door and similar Large Surface areas caught my eye. 

I never thought about the garage door. Do you wash and wax it or what products do you use?

I also want to do something with the shower walls and glass doors. What do you use on tile walls in the shower and the glass enclosure? Also what products do you recommend? I was think Strip Wash to cut through soap and stuff then detail spray but am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SgtLip

8 hours ago, SgtLip said:

@RayS Just curious, the Garage Door and similar Large Surface areas caught my eye. 

I never thought about the garage door. Do you wash and wax it or what products do you use?

I also want to do something with the shower walls and glass doors. What do you use on tile walls in the shower and the glass enclosure? Also what products do you recommend? I was think Strip Wash to cut through soap and stuff then detail spray but am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

For the exterior of the Garage Door and Vinyl Fence, I have been using Wash & Wax.  For the interior of the garage door, I use waterless wash.  The fence is rather big with 38 8 foot panels and then a few 4 foot panels.   The garage door is a 16x7 insulated door with one row of windows.  Using the foam gun, I got over the entire outside of the door then wipe it down with one of the Adam's Red Car Wash Wedge's. 

For the fence, I do one panel at a time with the exception of the inside corners, then I do two panels. I can do the inside or outside of the fence in one day, refilling the foam gun 2 or 3 times.  The same routine is followed with getting the shampoo on it, wiping it down with the Red Car Wash Wedge and then rinsing it off.   The garage door needs its fall wash and I think I'm going to try Wash + Coat since that is what will go on my truck next weekend.   As for the inside, I have no doubt that I'll use Ceramic Waterless Wash the next time I do it.

I have been using Ceramic Boost on the tile walls in the show and the glass door has Glass Sealant on it.   You have to be careful with shower and make sure you don't get it on the floor, otherwise it will be very slick.  Don't forget to do the mirrors with Brilliant Glaze.

IMG_0370.JPG

33 minutes ago, RayS said:

For the exterior of the Garage Door and Vinyl Fence, I have been using Wash & Wax.  For the interior of the garage door, I use waterless wash.  The fence is rather big with 38 8 foot panels and then a few 4 foot panels.   The garage door is a 16x7 insulated door with one row of windows.  Using the foam gun, I got over the entire outside of the door then wipe it down with one of the Adam's Red Car Wash Wedge's. 

For the fence, I do one panel at a time with the exception of the inside corners, then I do two panels. I can do the inside or outside of the fence in one day, refilling the foam gun 2 or 3 times.  The same routine is followed with getting the shampoo on it, wiping it down with the Red Car Wash Wedge and then rinsing it off.   The garage door needs its fall wash and I think I'm going to try Wash + Coat since that is what will go on my truck next weekend.   As for the inside, I have no doubt that I'll use Ceramic Waterless Wash the next time I do it.

I have been using Ceramic Boost on the tile walls in the show and the glass door has Glass Sealant on it.   You have to be careful with shower and make sure you don't get it on the floor, otherwise it will be very slick.  Don't forget to do the mirrors with Brilliant Glaze.

The fence looks really nice. Thanks for the information. I'm sitting here in awe as I was ONLY thinking cars and trucks. Now I have other things to do as well during my free time in retirement. I have to get me one of the Adam's Red Car Wash Wedge. Been going to buy one but now I have a reason.

Only a single car garage so it won't be much. I do have a Metal carport I installed December last year. I did foam the inside once and pressure rinsed it. I think I'll do the outside next. Curious why the inside of the garage door but I guess it keeps the dirt and stuff off the clean car.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, SgtLip said:

The fence looks really nice. Thanks for the information. I'm sitting here in awe as I was ONLY thinking cars and trucks. Now I have other things to do as well during my free time in retirement. I have to get me one of the Adam's Red Car Wash Wedge. Been going to buy one but now I have a reason.

Only a single car garage so it won't be much. I do have a Metal carport I installed December last year. I did foam the inside once and pressure rinsed it. I think I'll do the outside next. Curious why the inside of the garage door but I guess it keeps the dirt and stuff off the clean car.

Thanks.

As for the inside of the garage door, it is a insulated door with that are full panels on both sides.  Like anything else it gets dusty and dirty and needs to be cleaned every once in a while.  I generally notice it when I'm doing a waterless wash on the wife's garage queen at night or a rainy day when the door is down and then once I'm done with the car, I just do the door.

I'll refer you to this thread that has a list of alternate uses for the Adam's products and there are many others around for the forum.    

2 hours ago, RayS said:

As for the inside of the garage door, it is a insulated door with that are full panels on both sides.  Like anything else it gets dusty and dirty and needs to be cleaned every once in a while.  I generally notice it when I'm doing a waterless wash on the wife's garage queen at night or a rainy day when the door is down and then once I'm done with the car, I just do the door.

I'll refer you to this thread that has a list of alternate uses for the Adam's products and there are many others around for the forum.    

Thanks again. And THANKS for the thread. I've been looking for it for two days now and couldn't find it. AWESOME!

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, John707 said:

Ok here is my plan let me know if ok to do. My wife works weekends so I have daddy duty with the 3 kids no time to spend 1 whole day doing the truck. Weekdays after work will have to do.

1st day - wash and clay truck. Park in garage 

2nd day - polish/sealant

I wonder if I should buy a duster to dust off before polish/sealant hmmmm. I'll have it in garage after 1st day though.

I've been showing cars for many years, I still use a duster on my cars in the garage and at shows that have accumulated a little dust sitting. I've never seen any scratches caused by doing this. I've seen the Roadster Shop use them at a show on the 2.3 million 69 Camaro (Inferno) they built along with many others. If you've driven the car that's different but at shows or in your garage a light dusting and then alittle detail spray I think is perfectly fine...BTW I just did the wife's new to her Escalade last wkend which is Crystal White Tricoat similar to yours. Clayed - Adams Clay bar, (haven't purchased a mitt yet), Machined - Paint Sealant, Machined - Brilliant Glaze, Hand applied Buttery Wax. First wash will apply H2O GG when drying.

Sabs ESV1AA.jpg

Morning folks. Still haven't got around to my full detail project of the Tahoe. But I am taking a vacation day off work in 2 weeks and plan to hit it then weather permitting. My question is are the polish/sealant products I bought safe to apply in cold weather? Here in Northern California maybe 50-60° during the day. Thanks!

2 hours ago, John707 said:

I picked up some Wheel & Tire cleaner.  On bottle it says not safe for polished aluminum.  My Tahoe wheels are polished alloy. I am thinking I messed up on the purchase as someone said modern aluminum rims are alloy. 😔

If they are clear coated, you're fine. I'm not familiar with those rims so maybe someone on here will add to this, or contact the dealer would be my recommendation.