Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for better stain protection (Paint)

rrmccabe

Question

My truck sits outside and tree leaves land on it and leave brown spots from 1/8" in diameter up to 1 1/2 long. I have been washing it with shampoo and then going over it again with a shampoo mitt and spraying APC full strength on a panel.  It pretty much all comes off but takes a lot of work. Today it was extra bad and I ended up using claybar and APC  which made pretty quick work of it.

Of course with APC  I have stripped the protection off while removing the brown. I am looking for some kind of protection that would allow me to wash the stains off.  The leaves probably sit on the truck two days at most and they are small leaves and not many of them.

The truck originally had Adams Ceramic coat which never worked for me so was using LPS but of course the APC has removed it. This summer its just been getting guard and gloss (original).

Looking for other options. I have some Patriot here but have not tried it.

2019-09-19_15-15-40.jpg

8 answers to this question

Hi Rich, 

If those are Birch leaves they act like Tea leaves and stain almost anything.  The Ceramic Paste Wax has been good to me for being able to keep the stains down, but what worked the best is the regular Spray Wax.   I'd use the Spray Wax as a drying agent after a wash following the Use When Washing Directions.  It was easy to apply, looked good and kept the gunk from sticking or straining.

Have to agree about the Ceramic Wax.  My rides don't sit out, but  they do from time to time and I've had quite a few bird bombs and assorted "junk" leaving marks.  Ceramic wax worked really well keeping things from etching and marking up my rides.  I have them both Ceramic Spray Coated now, but the Ceramic Wax is good stuff!

This sounds like a job for a coating.  The plus with the coatings are they are not affected by harsh chemicals, to you could wash with diluted APC to remove the stains as often as you like and not affect the protection.  The "wipe on/let cure" coating will protect better then the spray or wax, but will require more attention & time when applying.

Well I am not ready to go back to coatings yet. I might next year but I already have a failed attempt at Adams coatings on this vehicle and just dont have the energy to go through the process again right now.

I forgot about the ceramic wax but that could be a good option.

I hate to say for now I am going to jump to the dark side. Just ran to the parts store and bought some $15 a bottle hybrid spray wax from another manufacturer that gets rave reviews and going to give it a try.

2 hours ago, RayS said:

I have one other suggestion based on your picture:

image.jpeg.36a782c90aedd4eb24a83f058db17be5.jpeg

LOL, thats probably the best suggestion :)

I have 3 acres and already cut down 60 trees to build the house. Hate cutting down more. Course it does clog my gutter so maybe you are on to something :)