Customer Service 866.965.0400

Water Spots on Chrome Wheels

MitchPI

Question

Hi All, I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with factory chrome wheels.  Unfortunately I have street parking and the community sprinklers always seem to get my wheels.   What is best product to remove the spots, I assume they are clear coated?  I have used detail spray and it mostly worked but still some stubborn spots.  And lastly, other than ceramic, is there anything I can treat wheels with that may eliminate the spotting?

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, MitchPI said:

Hi All, I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with factory chrome wheels.  Unfortunately I have street parking and the community sprinklers always seem to get my wheels.   What is best product to remove the spots, I assume they are clear coated?  I have used detail spray and it mostly worked but still some stubborn spots.  And lastly, other than ceramic, is there anything I can treat wheels with that may eliminate the spotting?

Hi Mitch, Welcome to the forums!

So depending on the finish of your wheels you'll need to use on of the Polishes.

If they are clear coated. You'll want to use one of the 5 following polishes (depending on how bad the spots, decide which level of abrasion you need):

Heavy Correcting Compound - Most Aggressive

One Step Polish

Correcting Polish

Finishing Polish -

Hand Revive Polish - Least Aggressive

If the wheels are raw metal, you'll need to use Metal Polish #1. (If you want extra shine, follow up with Metal Polish #2)

Hi Mitch,

I have a Colorado and Terrain so I'm familiar with the Chevy/GM Wheels.  For the last year+, I have been using Ceramic Boost after they are washed as drying agent and it kept them from getting overly dirty or water spots.  The wheels do not need to be ceramic coated to use Ceramic Boost on them and it should last 4-6 weeks between applications.   

The one thing that may make a difference is whether the sprinklers are using clear water or chlorinated city water.  Chlorine water spots will usually have more of a white ring around them than regular water spots.  I've found that a little vinegar helps if they are Chlorine based otherwise follow the list that @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin provided.

If the water spots are fairly new, our Revive polish or even BG may remove them.

If they have been there for a while it's probably going to take CP.

Remember after you get them cleaned up protect them, my choice would be either Wheel coating or Ceramic Spray.