Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Decon

SgtLip

Question

Hi All,

I purchased a new Toyota Avalon Hybrid over the weekend. It is unfortunately another white car. I can't seem to get away from having a white car.

Anyway, I want to use the Ceramic Spray Coating on the car but figured I better decontaminate first. Do I need to use Iron Remover if I'm going to Clay Bar the car? I can't see any brown spots but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I watched Adam's video for the Iron Remover and he mentioned it is not a replacement for Clay Bar. But I'm not sure if I need to use both.

Next question is what type of Clay Bar should I use? Being a new 2020 I figure the "Fine Grade" clay will suffice. I am also looking at the "Visco Clay Bar" but I don't really understand the difference. Which should I use? Since I am going to use Ceramic Spray, what should I use to lubricate the Clay Bar? I have Detail Spray but since I'll be applying Ceramic I was thinking not to use Detail Spray. But then I'm thinking since I'll be using the Ceramic Surface Prep, that should take care of the residue from the Detail Spray, right?

Then the process would be to wash, dry, apply Surface Prep, apply Ceramic Spray Coating. Should I use Ceramic Boost after applying the Ceramic Spray or is that not necessary at this point? I already have a bunch of the Ceramic Waterless I'll be using routinely with the Boost every 4-6 weeks.

So, do I need to use Iron Remover? Which Clay Bar should I use? Am I correct about the Detail Spray residue being removed by Surface Prep?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.34d780f2ef2ea1f088c2d333157c77a8.jpg 

Congrats, Nice car.

I would use iron remover, so you get as much crud off before claying, reducing chances of marring.  Then I would use fine grade,  you can also do the baggy test after IR, to see if anything is left on the surface.

Surface Prep should in fact remove DS residue. And is a must before the ceramic 

Boost can be applied after it cures,  I would wait at least 6hrs after application 

As a reference for Adam’s clay...

LEAST AGGRESSIVE————————————MOST AGGRESSIVE   

Fine grade                 Medium Grade              Visco

26 minutes ago, Nickfire20 said:

Congrats, Nice car.

I would use iron remover, so you get as much crud off before claying, reducing chances of marring.  Then I would use fine grade,  you can also do the baggy test after IR, to see if anything is left on the surface.

Surface Prep should in fact remove DS residue. And is a must before the ceramic 

Boost can be applied after it cures,  I would wait at least 6hrs after application 

As a reference for Adam’s clay...

LEAST AGGRESSIVE————————————MOST AGGRESSIVE   

Fine grade                 Medium Grade              Visco

Thanks.

I appreciate the input.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, Nickfire20 said:

I would use iron remover, so you get as much crud off before claying, reducing chances of marring.  

Reminder: (This is a new car)

Do you spray Iron Remover on the wheels also? 

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 10.18.38.png

Edited by SgtLip

On 10/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, SgtLip said:

Hi All,

I purchased a new Toyota Avalon Hybrid over the weekend. It is unfortunately another white car. I can't seem to get away from having a white car.

Anyway, I want to use the Ceramic Spray Coating on the car but figured I better decontaminate first. Do I need to use Iron Remover if I'm going to Clay Bar the car? I can't see any brown spots but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I watched Adam's video for the Iron Remover and he mentioned it is not a replacement for Clay Bar. But I'm not sure if I need to use both.

Next question is what type of Clay Bar should I use? Being a new 2020 I figure the "Fine Grade" clay will suffice. I am also looking at the "Visco Clay Bar" but I don't really understand the difference. Which should I use? Since I am going to use Ceramic Spray, what should I use to lubricate the Clay Bar? I have Detail Spray but since I'll be applying Ceramic I was thinking not to use Detail Spray. But then I'm thinking since I'll be using the Ceramic Surface Prep, that should take care of the residue from the Detail Spray, right?

Then the process would be to wash, dry, apply Surface Prep, apply Ceramic Spray Coating. Should I use Ceramic Boost after applying the Ceramic Spray or is that not necessary at this point? I already have a bunch of the Ceramic Waterless I'll be using routinely with the Boost every 4-6 weeks.

So, do I need to use Iron Remover? Which Clay Bar should I use? Am I correct about the Detail Spray residue being removed by Surface Prep?

Thanks in advance. 1.85 MB · 0 downloads

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.34d780f2ef2ea1f088c2d333157c77a8.jpg 

That is a good looking car, Donald!  My truck and my wife’s car are both white.  Good Luck with the new ride...👍

31 minutes ago, SouthernSteve said:

That is a good looking car, Donald!  My truck and my wife’s car are both white.  Good Luck with the new ride...👍

Thanks.

My Subaru was White but I wrapped it in Yellow. I can't begin to tell you how many people would comment on it. The wife's Lexus and last 10 cars have been White. White is okay, I just find there are way too many white cars on the road and in parking lots. Nothing makes them unique. They don't stand out. I also find it hard to really see a white car look good after you clean it up. For example, there are a few red cars and trucks that look marvelous after you clean them up on this forum. Black cars and trucks really pop after being cleaned up as seen on this forum. I wouldn't have either color personally but I love the way they look. White just doesn't pop or stand out. But that's my opinion.

I absolutely agree  with you that that Red vehicles look marvelous, not that I'm biased or anything... 😁 and when I see vehicles like @Rich Equinox it really showcases the Black and tells you who likes to be punished.   As for White, between what @falcaineer and @Scooter Trash have done on their white vehicles, I have no doubt that White can be made to pop when you put forth the effort.  I would have agreed with you on the White until I saw what Chris and Larry were able to do and then I knew it could be done.

I'll have a White one in the near future or whenever the engine gets put in it and while I know it will be a challenge, there are two excellent examples of how good White can look.  whether or not my skills match up to theirs, I don't yet, but I'm sure willing to give it a try and I know where to go for guidance if needed.

13 minutes ago, RayS said:

I absolutely agree  with you that that Red vehicles look marvelous, not that I'm biased or anything... 😁 and when I see vehicles like @Rich Equinox it really showcases the Black and tells you who likes to be punished.   As for White, between what @falcaineer and @Scooter Trash have done on their white vehicles, I have no doubt that White can be made to pop when you put forth the effort.  I would have agreed with you on the White until I saw what Chris and Larry were able to do and then I knew it could be done.

I'll have a White one in the near future or whenever the engine gets put in it and while I know it will be a challenge, there are two excellent examples of how good White can look.  whether or not my skills match up to theirs, I don't yet, but I'm sure willing to give it a try and I know where to go for guidance if needed.

I would really like to take all the credit unfortunately I have to thank Adam, his videos and his products. 

3 hours ago, RayS said:

Too kind, Ray. As @Scooter Trash said, Adam's makes it pretty straightforward. But we're here to help if/when you need it!

Since everyone is showing off their white vehicles, the current project is pictured below.  The engine should go in within the next month or whenever the Mazda 3 transmission gets completed and it goes away.  The Mazda is not a project car, it is the son-in-laws sisters and needs a body shop or hand grenade...

The 300's engine is built and the car is in the son-in-laws garage along with the engine, he just needs to get the time to get it dropped in, then I get it.

IMG_0359.JPG

@Nickfire20  You were right!!!

I used a whole bottle of Iron Remover on the car and there was more than I imagined.

This is the Roof:IMG_0403.thumb.jpeg.2f5c21d32627b33f1ea0fdc2565ff80d.jpeg

This is the Hood:

IMG_0399.thumb.jpeg.4d2abc6e9ac2503b177dd570e57f944d.jpeg

This is the Trunk:

IMG_0404.thumb.jpeg.dd1bfd90271002b606c94d56e058a5a6.jpeg

I had a piece of a bottle of Wheel Cleaner and just enough for all four wheels.

Then I rinsed and dried the entire car.

I then used the Adam's White Fine Grade Clay Bar with DS and clayed the complete car. Crap, I just remembered I forgot to clay the wheels. Maybe next time.

I put maybe 3 ounces of Car Shampoo and 3 ounces of Eco All Purpose Cleaner in the Foam Cannon and the Wash Bucket. 

I foamed the entire car, there was a lot of foam. And I used the mit and washed the entire car and then rinsed with the power washer.

I used the leaf blower I purchased for the sole purpose of drying the car and dried the car. There wasn't enough left to towel dry but I drug it over everything anyway. 

It is now parked in the garage while this old man rests and it cools down as the sun was hitting the trunk and back window.

Still left to do:

Apply the Surface Prep spray.

Apply the Ceramic Spray Coating. and let it cure overnight.

Get up in the morning and apply the Ceramic Boost and Tire Shine. 

I have to say, it looks pretty good so far.

Here is a picture of the hood during the rinse after washing. Not much beading of water on the hood:

IMG_0409.thumb.jpeg.a5123678524f6b89c6ecbb55dec112fb.jpeg

Edited by SgtLip

On 10/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, RayS said:

Since everyone is showing off their white vehicles, the current project is pictured below.  The engine should go in within the next month or whenever the Mazda 3 transmission gets completed and it goes away.  The Mazda is not a project car, it is the son-in-laws sisters and needs a body shop or hand grenade...

The 300's engine is built and the car is in the son-in-laws garage along with the engine, he just needs to get the time to get it dropped in, then I get it.

IMG_0359.JPG

“Hand grenade”..lol.   Its close to that, I love that car...Id just remove that “bumper” and side trim..get it back to OEM.   Thats an awesome car!!!

@Nickfire20 @falcaineer  I completed day one. I used the Surface Prep spray which took around 30 minutes to do. I then applied the Ceramic Spray Coating (about 45 minutes) and I think it turned out pretty nice for a first time novice. Tomorrow morning first thing I'll apply the Ceramic Boost and Tire Shine and call it done.

(Forgive the boxes stacked on the counter. Thats the next project.)

This is the best picture of the car now. I haven't mastered White Car picture taking for effects yet.

IMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.240eb5f0dbb4c9d51c7ba6c8b26b4dd5.jpeg

Edited by SgtLip
Completed sentence.

UPDATE:

Got up this morning and applied Ceramic Boost to the complete exterior and Tire Shined the tires. COMPLETE!!!

Or so I thought. 

I have streaks in my windows. I did NOT notice them at all yesterday after applying the Ceramic Spray Coating. So I can only guess it is the Ceramic Boost. While the Dealer did a really crappy job cleaning the interior of the windows, I believe the streaks are on the exterior.

What do I do now to remove them? I do not have any Adam's window cleaners. I have a commercial non-ammonia product and windex, that's it. Should I spray some Ceramic Boost on a clean MF and try to eliminate them that way or what?

I'm clueless. All suggestions appreciated 😇