Customer Service 866.965.0400

Problem with the new Ceramic Glass wipes

TOBASCO

Question

I bought the ceramic glass coating kit for the windshield.  I applied it exactly as it was explained in the video as well as the instructions.  When it was time to wipe off the coating residue, it seems to be virtually impossible to get it off.  I spent about 30 minutes doing a 1x1 foot section of glass with continued issues of streaking/residue.  I was using the glass spray that came with the kit as they explained.  Any suggestions on how to remove the residue better than what I've been able to do?

I've got an orbital polisher is there is something that I can use on it to help get this off the glass.  Any help would be appreciated.

(btw, I tried calling the Adams hotline for tech tips and no one ever answered and twice I was told to just leave a message only to find out that their mailbox is full :(  )

Edited by TOBASCO

19 answers to this question

16 hours ago, TOBASCO said:

I bought the ceramic glass coating kit for the windshield.  I applied it exactly as it was explained in the video as well as the instructions.  When it was time to wipe off the coating residue, it seems to be virtually impossible to get it off.  I spent about 30 minutes doing a 1x1 foot section of glass with continued issues of streaking/residue.  I was using the glass spray that came with the kit as they explained.  Any suggestions on how to remove the residue better than what I've been able to do?

I've got an orbital polisher is there is something that I can use on it to help get this off the glass.  Any help would be appreciated.

(btw, I tried calling the Adams hotline for tech tips and no one ever answered and twice I was told to just leave a message only to find out that their mailbox is full :(  )

Hi there, I do certainly apologize about the phone issues! We've been incredibly busy as usual with phones and emails during sales and new product releases. I was out of the office last week working at our display at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Las Vegas, so that meant even one less person on phones. We are trying to catch up to things as quickly as possible. Calling early in the morning (7am MST) or after lunch are times when the phones aren't usually as busy. Right at 8-9am, lunchtime, and 5pm are when phone lines are most busy. 

The Ceramic Glass Coating Wipes can be a tricky product to get right. If you are still having issue with the residue, I would not recommend using an orbital polisher as the first plan of attack, as it might be too aggressive and remove the coating. Try a few drops of Brilliant Glaze on a small test area of the windshield - spread it with a hex grip or a gray microfiber applicator block, then quickly wipe it away with a microfiber towel - that did the trick for me. 

DAN, thanks for the quick reply.  I tried the Brilliant Glaze and it seemed to do the trick.  It seems to have gotten about 95% of the residue off the windshield, though I haven't driven it yet in the sunlight to see what streaks may remain - but it certainly is an improvement.  Thank You!

Do you happen to be the Dan who's last name starts with a "T" and is five letters long?  If so, I met you at the NCM Bash a couple of years ago and spent a ton of money with you - and you were very helpful with tips then as well.

As far as the Ceramic Glass Coating Wipes - you might want to inform users to remove the product as soon as possible following application.  That might have been the problem as I waited 2-3 minutes after Part A and B application.  The video and instructions say to immediately apply Part B after Part A.  But it doesn't say immediately regarding removing the residue.  It also probably doesn't help that the video says to keep using the Part B wipe until it seems that all of the coating is gone.  To do that, you're rubbing some dry area as well because part of the wipe is drying.  Hope that helps.

23 hours ago, TOBASCO said:

Do you happen to be the Dan who's last name starts with a "T" and is five letters long?  If so, I met you at the NCM Bash a couple of years ago and spent a ton of money with you - and you were very helpful with tips then as well.

Yes - that's the Dan you met and I agree, besides Adam himself, @Dan@Adams Txxxx is THE Adam's rep with whom I prefer to deal - hands down, the best!

Edited by Norton

I applied the Ceramic Glass Coating last Tuesday morning and had the same issues. 70* out, completely overcast with absolutely no sun hitting the glass, paint and glass were cool to the touch, and humidity at 67%. When finished, it looked like I'd applied Glass Sealant and let it on too long before buffing off the residue; grayish/brown streaks everywhere.

Here's a few things I've discovered:

Part A is the actual Ceramic. I noticed it rainbowing as I applied it.

Part B is some sort of Glass Sealant. Part B is needed to keep the wiper blades from chattering across the Ceramic.

The grayish/brown streaks are from Part B. I'd applied Parts A and and B in different directions on the windshield and it was obvious the issue was with Part B.

Don't use the Green Scrubby Glass Towel included in the Kit to remove Part B, use an Edgeless Utility Towel. The Edgeless Utility Towel has more bite and can more easily remove the Part B residue.

I had to drive my car shortly after application and couldn't do much to try and remove what was left on the glass. From inside the car I couldn't see the streaks, and that included driving at night on a two lane road in a small town with oncoming traffic and street lights.

The morning after I'd applied the Ceramic Glass Coating  I had a bit of time to work on the mess. Aerosol Glass Cleaner with a Green Scrubby Glass Towel (that's all I had at the time) took a bit of it off. I then tried rubbing with a dry Microsilk Glass Towel I keep in the car, and that was taking off the residue. Quite a bit of pressure was needed with the Microsilk Towel, but it worked.

Before I would have tried Brilliant Glaze I was going to try an application of Adam's Glass Sealant that comes in the little 4 ounce bottle. My thought was that the Glass Sealant on the Part B Glass Sealant residue may release what was on the glass as streaks. I'd used Brilliant Glaze to remove a high spot I'd left when Ceramic Coating a 2013 Chevy Malibu a couple years ago. It was quite obvious after a couple rains and washes the area where the Brilliant Glaze had been worked no longer had any Ceramic Coating left on the Atlantis Blue paint. For what it's worth, I had applied the 9H Ceramic Wheel Coating to the paint, this was before the release of the 9H Ceramic Paint Coating. I really didn't want to take the chance of removing the Ceramic Glass Coating.

BRZN - you raise some good points, but your comment on Brilliant Glaze stripping off the ceramic has me concerned.  I haven't had any rain since I've applied it so its hard to tell.  I'll keep you guys posted when it does.

But my next step may be the Glass Boost - any other suggestions?

On 10/11/2019 at 5:57 PM, Amiguel6 said:

@falcaineer Have you heard back from @Kyle@Adams yet, about a solution for the streaks and residue? I've been wanting to do my car with the kit I purchased, but I don't want to waste it if it's not going to work correctly. Applying the coating, having it streak up and having to correct it off to remove it is a complete waste.

Dan answered your question instead of Kyle.  

I did 2 windshields last week and didn't have any problems. I clayed the glass and made sure it was nice and clean. I used part A in a crosshatch on both the driver's and passenger's sides then immediately did a crosshatch of both sides with part B. I think doing a crosshatch pattern is necessary to get even coverage. I noticed after just the first swipes, it was streaky but after going the other direction, it leveled out and looked good. Once I was done wiping, I spritzed each side with glass cleaner and buffed the haze off with the green glass towel. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, Rich said:

Dan answered your question instead of Kyle.  

Thanks Rich, but i was looking for a different answer. I want to know what can we do during the application process so that this does not happen? Dan mentioned what to do if it does happen. 

Sorry for the delay! I talked to the lead chemist, Chris, and Kyle today. The ambient temp, windshield temp, humidity, etc can all affect flash fime. It's likely Part A was already set before you even applied Part B. It can happen very quickly...when it flashes, it's immediately time to move to Part B. 

He recommended to avoid this issue in the future, to work quickly and in halves of the windshield (somewhat contrary to the video, yes, so I'll bring that up). As in, open Part A, and immediately apply to half the windshield. As soon as it flashes, which could be in seconds (time will vary), immediately open Part B and apply to the same half. Do not wait. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Then, go to other half and do the same thing. Glass Cleaner is your friend to remove residue...once Part A and B are applied, the GC will not remove anything further so use as much as you want/need. 

Also, if BG hadn't worked, you can try Sprayable Compound to remove residue that may have streaked.

Hope that helps. If any more questions, let me know and I'll ask...

I had low temps and low humidity so my conditions were probably ideal. The directions say to work as quickly as possible. It also says that both wipes should be applied in a crosshatch pattern IIRC. I know that after wiping just one direction, the streaks were horrible. Then I wiped the perpendicular and it all leveled out. I might have had more working time but I do know that the crosshatch is necessary for even coverage.