Customer Service 866.965.0400

ceramic spray

m auto detail

Question

48 minutes ago, m auto detail said:

i just applied the ceramic spray to my wheels.. what chemicals can i use to clean them? is eco wheel cleaner good to use on it? will it damage the ceramic spray ?

Yeah, like @falcaineer said, I usually just use soap and water...

The way I do it is by putting car shampoo in my wheel bucket and getting it on my wheel tools (brush, whoolie, etc.) and then I'll get the wheels whet, then use the tools to clean and then rinse... Once done, if desired, you can top with Ceramic Waterless Wash, or H20 GG, or Ceramic Boost

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

53 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

Per the attached video, I thought Car Shampoo was the wrong product to use on Ceramic?

What I understood for that is that Car Shampoo is just a PH neutral cleaning shampoo. Meaning no protection added to this shampoo. Other shampoos like Wash and Was have protection built in, which may add to the protection of your ceramic coating.

Otherwise, safe on Ceramic Coating.

14 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

What I understood for that is that Car Shampoo is just a PH neutral cleaning shampoo. Meaning no protection added to this shampoo. Other shampoos like Wash and Was have protection built in, which may add to the protection of your ceramic coating.

Otherwise, safe on Ceramic Coating.

Not saying it is BAD but aren't they all PH neutral? I thought he said, the Mega Foam was better wash for a Ceramic coated car and not the Car Shampoo. That is why I just spent money on the BOGO and got a Mega Foam. I'll save the gallon and bottle of Car Shampoo for my second beater box I plan to pick up.

Edited by SgtLip

On 10/11/2019 at 12:10 PM, SgtLip said:

Not saying it is BAD but aren't they all PH neutral? I thought he said, the Mega Foam was better wash for a Ceramic coated car and not the Car Shampoo. That is why I just spent money on the BOGO and got a Mega Foam. I'll save the gallon and bottle of Car Shampoo for my second beater box I plan to pick up.

All are pH neutral besides Strip Wash, and they're safe on a coating. Just some add protection and some just clean. I went back and watched and couldn't find where he said Car Shampoo was wrong, but I could've missed it. Can you point me to the time in the video? I can also reach out directly to Chris (the chemist talking in the video) and get him to clarify, if you'd like?

On 10/11/2019 at 11:10 AM, SgtLip said:

Per the attached video, I thought Car Shampoo was the wrong product to use on Ceramic?

My understanding of what he was talking about, was that CS and MF do not have any additional protection agents or additives that would remain on the surface of the vehicle after use.  So if you were preparing to do a ceramic coating, you would use either of these shampoos before moving on to paint correction, polishing and coating.  Whereas the Wash and Wax and Ultra Foam DO have additives that you don't really want there prior to moving on to those correction steps.

Alternatively, if you have already completed a ceramic coating, you DO want to use the Wash and Wax or UF shampoos because they would continue to play off that ceramic coating and increase protection.  

That is how I understood the video. :D

15 minutes ago, stalebreadjr said:

My understanding of what he was talking about, was that CS and MF do not have any additional protection agents or additives that would remain on the surface of the vehicle after use.  So if you were preparing to do a ceramic coating, you would use either of these shampoos before moving on to paint correction, polishing and coating.  Whereas the Wash and Wax and Ultra Foam DO have additives that you don't really want there prior to moving on to those correction steps.

Alternatively, if you have already completed a ceramic coating, you DO want to use the Wash and Wax or UF shampoos because they would continue to play off that ceramic coating and increase protection.  

That is how I understood the video. :D

Hmmm, gotcha. But I always thought everyone said NOT to mix SiO2 with the waxes unless it is the Ceramic Wax.

35 minutes ago, SgtLip said:

Hmmm, gotcha. But I always thought everyone said NOT to mix SiO2 with the waxes unless it is the Ceramic Wax.

Correct. You would not want to use Wash & Wax, but would want to use Wash & Coat, which I believe is what @stalebreadjr meant.  They are similar products, made for two different base systems.  The Wash & Coat is fantastic, but don't be surprised when you get very little foam and is runs off the vehicle.  The cool part is that you can actually see the dirt run off with it.

42 minutes ago, RayS said:

Correct. You would not want to use Wash & Wax, but would want to use Wash & Coat, which I believe is what @stalebreadjr meant.  They are similar products, made for two different base systems.  The Wash & Coat is fantastic, but don't be surprised when you get very little foam and is runs off the vehicle.  The cool part is that you can actually see the dirt run off with it.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, SgtLip said:

1 hour ago, RayS said:

Actually, Wash & Wax is a silica-based product, not carnauba. It's a misnomer, but I'm told Adam's did it because "Wash & Seal" doesn't resonate with the average person. Wash & Coat can be thought of as Wash & Wax on steroids, and both are safe to use on coatings. Hope that helps!

10 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

Provided 2 videos.

Thanks @Nickfire20.  Doesn't seem like you can ever prepare for anything with Adam's Polishes. After I just purchased Gallons and Half Gallons of other products based on input from folks, there is a different video that says to use a different product. I REALLY don't believe anyone knows which is the BEST products to use to do much of anything as everyone seems to have their own ideas. I'm about ready to throw the towel in. But thanks for directing my attention to the videos.

I highly suggest the videos, they are very informative.  There are a lot of them too!  

Wash n Wax is not the end all, be all.

What products are you referencing?  What do you have?  

At times a lot of folks will have different opinions or methods, and they are what works for them and maybe not everyone.  Let us know what’s on your mind, we are here to help.

5 hours ago, SgtLip said:

Thanks @Nickfire20.  Doesn't seem like you can ever prepare for anything with Adam's Polishes. After I just purchased Gallons and Half Gallons of other products based on input from folks, there is a different video that says to use a different product. I REALLY don't believe anyone knows which is the BEST products to use to do much of anything as everyone seems to have their own ideas. I'm about ready to throw the towel in. But thanks for directing my attention to the videos.

I agree with @Nickfire20 above, Donald. The thing is, there is no "best" option or end all, be all for detailers. Subjectivity plays a huge role, and likely always will. As we present our ideas, I recommend you try out what looks like it'll work for you and roll with it. We've all gone through trial and error, and what I like may not be the best option for you. Please don't lose hope...we are here to help and enjoy having you on here!! 🙂

5 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

At times a lot of folks will have different opinions or methods, and they are what works for them and maybe not everyone.  Let us know what’s on your mind, we are here to help.

I just found it odd that in my thread (linked below) I was asking for help and there was NO mention of Wash & Wax for the scenario I presented for my new car. Everybody jumped on the fact that I didn't particularly care for a white car and offered pictures as if to convince me white is beautiful. The thread wasn't about the white car, I started it because I NEVER used Iron Remover or Clay Bar before in my life and truly had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know if it was necessary to use these products on a new car. I've been buying products and towels now since the first of August and there are so many opinions on this forum its hard for the beginner to know where to start or what to buy especially starting out with limited funds for product, equipment and supplies. 

I knew I was going to use Ceramic Spray Coating and everything I asked was in reference with the end use being SiO2 and not many people responded. In other threads I see people jump through the roof with a million options and details and such to really assist beginners. When I started I asked a lot of questions about my Yellow Subaru which had a vinyl wrap with ceramic coating. The advice was sparse with no real clear direction which products to maintain the ceramic except to use SiO2. Its to the point where I now have around $500 in product and towels and out of nowhere I learn about Wash & Wax being being a better product than others.

I've learned the labels the forum applies below everyones ID is misrepresenting. It says I am a "Master AF Detailer". I don't know what the AF stands for or how I could possibly be labeled as such having detailed a total on one car in 65 years and that was last week. I've washed a million cars and trucks with a bucket and soap. I am a Master Contract Negotiator not a Master AF Detailer. There is no way to identify from ones post whether they do detailing professionally or they just started last week like myself. Maybe the forum should have a way to label the professionals from the backyard enthusiast. That way the beginner understands from the beginning if it is sound advice or something that worked for them once.

I feel Adam's should come up with some kind of diagram of which products/towels to use if you go the Ceramic path or the Carnauba path. And which products are compatible with each other and which to avoid.

Edited by SgtLip
deleted portions of original quote

On 10/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, SgtLip said:

Its to the point where I now have around $500 in product and towels and out of nowhere I learn about Wash & Wax being being a better product than others.

I feel Adam's should come up with some kind of diagram of which products/towels to use if you go the Ceramic path or the Carnauba path. And which products are compatible with each other and which to avoid.

I am going to second what @falcaineer , @Nickfire20 , and @RayS are saying. That this is a learning experience. We all started with no idea what we were doing and are now doing trial and error. There is no one right process. It's about learning what your preferences are and continuing with those.

On the topic of Wash & Wax-I have used wash & wax a handful of times on different finishes, and I think it produces nice results and a quick way of achieving nice results. However, I have found that in many instances, if I am in no hurry, I would prefer to use a shampoo that has no protection built in. It's just my preference for vehicles that are already sufficiently protected. That doesn't mean any shampoo is better or worse than the others.  I don't necessarily consider many of these products to be superior or inferior, better or worse than each other. They serve different purposes. If I remember correctly from older posts, you've purchased a gallon of Car Shampoo, a gallon of Mega Foam, and a half gallon of Ceramic Waterless Wash. In my opinion, 3 products that you cannot go wrong with. Both Car Shampoo and Mega Foam are excellent PH neutral soaps for great lubrication and great cleaning both with or without a foam cannon. Ceramic Waterless Wash is a heck of a product. Use it as a detail spray on any vehicle, coated or non coated.

Your Ceramic Spray Coating on your Avalon looked fantastic by the way, and any combination of the three aformentioned products that you have bought will work very well to keep it clean and maintain it's protection.

As for Adam's creating a diagram or chart for pairing products, that is a very good idea, and I agree. It would be great to have a tool for beginners to learn what they will need. By the way, I always make a point to watch the videos and read product descriptions on both Adam's website and on Amazon. Sometimes I'll find useful charts on amazon that I had seen no where else.

8 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

you've purchased a gallon of Car Shampoo, a gallon of Mega Foam, and a half gallon of Ceramic Waterless Wash

I still remember buying a bottle of Car Shampoo and getting a bottle of Ultra Shampoo with my Foam Gun.   I used both and they were equal in the cleaning aspect.  There is a small difference in the amount needed for a wash, which equals out the price in my opinion.  The reason, I have stuck with Ultra and get it by the gallon, is I prefer the smell of the Ultra.  That is the ultimate reason for selecting a particular product.

On the original foam gun, it worked fine, but as much as I used it I was afraid I'd wear out the plastic parts so I upgraded to the Premium foam gun and gave my son-in-law the standard one.

Edited by RayS

On 10/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, SgtLip said:

I just found it odd that in my thread (linked below) I was asking for help and there was NO mention of Wash & Wax for the scenario I presented for my new car. Everybody jumped on the fact that I didn't particularly care for a white car and offered pictures as if to convince me white is beautiful. The thread wasn't about the white car, I started it because I NEVER used Iron Remover or Clay Bar before in my life and truly had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know if it was necessary to use these products on a new car. I've been buying products and towels now since the first of August and there are so many opinions on this forum its hard for the beginner to know where to start or what to buy especially starting out with limited funds for product, equipment and supplies. 

I knew I was going to use Ceramic Spray Coating and everything I asked was in reference with the end use being SiO2 and not many people responded. In other threads I see people jump through the roof with a million options and details and such to really assist beginners. When I started I asked a lot of questions about my Yellow Subaru which had a vinyl wrap with ceramic coating. The advice was sparse with no real clear direction which products to maintain the ceramic except to use SiO2. Its to the point where I now have around $500 in product and towels and out of nowhere I learn about Wash & Wax being being a better product than others.

I've learned the labels the forum applies below everyones ID is misrepresenting. It says I am a "Master AF Detailer". I don't know what the AF stands for or how I could possibly be labeled as such having detailed a total on one car in 65 years and that was last week. I've washed a million cars and trucks with a bucket and soap. I am a Master Contract Negotiator not a Master AF Detailer. There is no way to identify from ones post whether they do detailing professionally or they just started last week like myself. Maybe the forum should have a way to label the professionals from the backyard enthusiast. That way the beginner understands from the beginning if it is sound advice or something that worked for them once.

I certainly understand the frustrations Donald, and I do apologize! I'll try to clear some things up :)

Indeed there are a lot of differing opinions on this forum - what products work best for someone in one environment may not work best for others in a different area of the country, i.e. temperature and humidity can play a big role in how easy or difficult some products are to apply or remove. As far as not many people responding to your specific questions in your thread, I am sorry about that, but sometimes people are busy and not on the forum as often as other times. Everyone on the forum as far as moderators are volunteers, with the exception of Kyle and myself (paid employees), and we do try to help as much as possible. 

Many of our soaps are fine for washing a ceramic coated vehicle. The standard blue Car Shampoo is great to do a straight wash with no protection. Wash & Wax might have a little less suds, but still does awesome at cleaning while offering a bit of extra protection onto the surface. As others mentioned, Wash & Wax does have some SiO2 infused in it, so it's technically a "Wash & Ceramic Additive" product; however, back when we released it just over 3 years ago, none of our ceramic products had been released yet, and we decided that "Wash & Wax" was a much more recognizable name for most customers. Me personally, I use our blue Car Shampoo, Ultra Foam, and Mega Foam the most on my vehicles. 

The ID that shows up under each username is determined and updated by how many posts you have made, i.e. new members with few posts will show "Newbie", people with more posts will show "Advanced", then "Master AF (AdamsForums) Detailer", etc. A few members will show "Founding Member", as they've been around since the beginning of the forum. There is an option to put custom text under your name as well through the user Control Panel. I will have to talk with Gerry to see if we can change the ID categories to eliminate some confusion. 

A diagram of chart for the various product families is a great idea. I will see if we can get something in the works, but in the meantime, we do have all ceramic products in their own subsection at the top of adamspolishes.com, under CERAMICS, which then breaks down into Prep, SiO2 Infused, Accessories, Kits, and Ceramic products themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

I certainly understand the frustrations Donald, and I do apologize! I'll try to clear some things up :)

Indeed there are a lot of differing opinions on this forum - what products work best for someone in one environment may not work best for others in a different area of the country, i.e. temperature and humidity can play a big role in how easy or difficult some products are to apply or remove. As far as not many people responding to your specific questions in your thread, I am sorry about that, but sometimes people are busy and not on the forum as often as other times. Everyone on the forum as far as moderators are volunteers, with the exception of Kyle and myself (paid employees), and we do try to help as much as possible. 

Many of our soaps are fine for washing a ceramic coated vehicle. The standard blue Car Shampoo is great to do a straight wash with no protection. Wash & Wax might have a little less suds, but still does awesome at cleaning while offering a bit of extra protection onto the surface. As others mentioned, Wash & Wax does have some SiO2 infused in it, so it's technically a "Wash & Ceramic Additive" product; however, back when we released it just over 3 years ago, none of our ceramic products had been released yet, and we decided that "Wash & Wax" was a much more recognizable name for most customers. Me personally, I use our blue Car Shampoo, Ultra Foam, and Mega Foam the most on my vehicles. 

The ID that shows up under each username is determined and updated by how many posts you have made, i.e. new members with few posts will show "Newbie", people with more posts will show "Advanced", then "Master AF (AdamsForums) Detailer", etc. A few members will show "Founding Member", as they've been around since the beginning of the forum. There is an option to put custom text under your name as well through the user Control Panel. I will have to talk with Gerry to see if we can change the ID categories to eliminate some confusion. 

A diagram of chart for the various product families is a great idea. I will see if we can get something in the works, but in the meantime, we do have all ceramic products in their own subsection at the top of adamspolishes.com, under CERAMICS, which then breaks down into Prep, SiO2 Infused, Accessories, Kits, and Ceramic products themselves. 

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the comments. I do realize there are a lot of opinions and the way people use products. It's just frustrating to spend money on a product you think plays well with others only to find out there may be a better product. But I appreciate your words and help. I have both the Car Shampoo and Mega Foam. So I plan to use both. I am just trying to keep the ceramic protection on there as long as possible without slowly stripping it off by using the incorrect products that I think are maintaining it.

2 hours ago, SgtLip said:

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the comments. I do realize there are a lot of opinions and the way people use products. It's just frustrating to spend money on a product you think plays well with others only to find out there may be a better product. But I appreciate your words and help. I have both the Car Shampoo and Mega Foam. So I plan to use both. I am just trying to keep the ceramic protection on there as long as possible without slowly stripping it off by using the incorrect products that I think are maintaining it.

Completely understandable! The only soap of ours that would potentially weaken a ceramic coating over time would be Strip Wash, since it is a high pH, designed to remove waxes and sealants. Ceramic coatings are chemically resistant for the most part, and can only be removed by abrasion - whether from polishing or from over a hundred washes over time. I believe our chemists tested the paint coating to 170 washes before it began to wear away from what Kyle in Product Development had mentioned to me before.

For great upkeep of a ceramic coating, I would recommend routine maintenance with Ceramic Boost about once every 1-2 months (or more frequently if you prefer - Adam uses Ceramic Boost on his wheels every wash!) or Ceramic Waterless is a great option too if you're looking to remove some dust or light dirt!

14 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

For great upkeep of a ceramic coating, I would recommend routine maintenance with Ceramic Boost about once every 1-2 months (or more frequently if you prefer - Adam uses Ceramic Boost on his wheels every wash!) or Ceramic Waterless is a great option too if you're looking to remove some dust or light dirt!

That is my current plan. I purchased the Ceramic Boost and Waterless Wash. My plan is too use them to maintain the Spray coating. Maybe Spring/Summer I want to strip and start from scratch and do a proper correction and Ceramic Coating (not the spray). Only problem is I do not have the buffing tools nor have I ever used one. So I haven't thought that far ahead about doing any correction. I wish there was a way to have someone do the correcting and apply the Adam's Ceramic Coating for me. That way I wouldn't screw anything up. I don't know of any professional detailers in my area that use Adam's products though. 

But thanks again for your time and assistance.