Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Paint, which product before sealant?

Black Rogue

Question

Hey guys, 

So my Rogue is a 2019 that I bought with only 25 miles on it. Within the first week of having it, I had already applied a synthetic paste wax. I've washed it once a week ever since. I'm gearing up to do Adam's Paint Sealant and HGG

My paint is practically brand new, with nearly no defects. There are some VERY light scratches, if you can even call it a scratch. Looks almost like a strand of spider silk laying on top of the paint here and there.  In some cases, that's exactly what it was lol. 

Anyways, there's no swirl Mark's, no major scratches, nothing like that. I dont wash in circle patterns and the only thing that ever touches the paint on my car is microfiber. 

My question is which polishing product should I use to prep the paint after strip washing and claying the surfaces? It's nowhere near needing the heavy correcting compound and a blue pad. Would using finishing polish be enough for these ultra light Mark's or should I still try to use correcting polish? 

If i do use correcting polish, is it necessary to go back over it with finishing polish? 

BR

7 answers to this question

Congrats on the new Rogue!

Yes, Finishing Polish with a White Foam Pad should be enough. Just test an area and check the results.

If you do need to use Correcting Polish on any areas, I would follow that up with Finishing Polish to get the most shine.  While some people will just use Correcting Polish and not follow up with Finishing Polish, it does take some technique to make sure the Correcting Polish is diminished to the point of leaving a finished surface.  Just doing a quick polish in an area to remove a few light scratches will not work the Correcting Polish down enough to give it the finishing qualities that are needed for maximum shine.

@Black Rogue

I should have also said that you want to clean the polishing residue off with Coating Prep or and IPA wipe-down to make sure all the polishing oils are removed.  You want the Paint Sealant to be able to bond to clean paint, and the oils from polishing will interfere with this bond and reduce the lifespan of that protection.

Check out this post for an example on how much additional blue residue is removed from an IPA wipe-down, even after the polishing residue is removed with a dry towel.

I have had great results with the Revive Hand Polish if you don't want to mess with a machine. I have a black SUV and it is a good step after claying and before the sealant. My SUV is only two years old and lives in the garage most of the time. Our winters here in Nor Cal are also not very harsh so using an Iron Remover or more abrasive polishes has not been necessary. As a side note I washed my SUV this weekend and used the new H2O G&G and it is an excellent follow-up every 3-4 washes. The shine is great and will keep the sealant alive for much longer. 

On 10/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, Black Rogue said:

Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to polish this weekend, but I did get to wash and clean the car. Maybe next weekend wont be so busy. 

BR

When my son-in-law got his 2019 F-150, I got it about week later to Coat.  Please forgive the color of the truck given that it is Red - Here is the write up I did for the coating.   Hopefully, this gives you some ideas of what you can do with a new vehicle.  The condition of the paint will make a difference on what you need to do for prep.

19 minutes ago, RayS said:

When my son-in-law got his 2019 F-150, I got it about week later to Coat.  Please forgive the color of the truck given that it is Red - Here is the write up I did for the coating.   Hopefully, this gives you some ideas of what you can do with a new vehicle.  The condition of the paint will make a difference on what you need to do for prep.

Wow that F150 looks great Ray. I really want to do the ceramic coating on my rogue, but that will be my spring project I think. Hoping for the ceramic kit and the ceramic trim kit for Christmas maybe. Lots of black plastic on these crossover SUVs. For now I just want some winter protection so I'm going to use the sealant. 

BR