Customer Service 866.965.0400

Over Spray Removal

jstaples17

Question

I was not able to find the info I was after by using the search function but if someone already covered this please dont heckle. My buddy has 2013 Jeep Patriot (black) that his house painters did not cover when painting his house. Needless to say the whole drivers side of the car are covered in blue dots including the glass. 

What is the way to start this project? 

thx, J

10 answers to this question

Clay or a 'clay' mitt will take car of this.  The Adam's Clay Mitt should take of this faster than regular clay, but you may want to try the Medium Grade Clay bar.  I have done several of these, and it is a long process, and will require polishing to removal all the marring from scrubbing with the clay.  And use lots of clay lube - Rinseless Wash diluted for clay lubricant  (64:1).

2 hours ago, jstaples17 said:

I was not able to find the info I was after by using the search function but if someone already covered this please dont heckle. My buddy has 2013 Jeep Patriot (black) that his house painters did not cover when painting his house. Needless to say the whole drivers side of the car are covered in blue dots including the glass. 

What is the way to start this project? 

thx, J

Follow @mc2hill advise and if you end up with any blobs that require something with bit more bite, you can use a plastic razor blade with plenty of lube.  Whatever you do, don't grab a regular razor blade, that will result in bad things happening.   Stay away from solvents and such as they can give you a temporary fix, but long term problems and some can have an immediate negative effect.

There is nothing that can be done to make it go fast or easy, just plan on taking your time and mark of small sections, I usually do 1 foot squares to be able to really focus on an area to remove the splatters.   

@jstaples17 Dumb question, is the Jeep maintained well prior to getting it blasted with paint splatter or is it a once a season wash/wax? I ask because of the suggestion to use Strip Wash. I like the idea of using hot/warm water and soap, I'm just thinking that Strip Wash would strip the entire car and you have to polish the whole thing. Or are you just wanting to clean the paint splatter off the drivers side? Also, a picture might help understand the severity of damage.

@SgtLip my buddy's Jeep is not in the best shape in regards to exterior. Its typically washed irregularly and not sure its been waxed more than one or two times. The over spray is the entire drivers side of the car and roof so the whole car will be getting the same treatment just be consistent. I will see if i can get a close up picture. 

Were the house painters using a spray paint system or were they applying with brushes and rollers? The reason I ask is that a few years back, my dad was spray painting a metal gas can red out in his driveway. When I got over there I noticed the can and that the garage door was open 20 feet away... Needless to say, my mom's brown metallic Buick Encore now had a wonderful red shimmer to the paint and windshield 😄 Two hours with Detail Spray and a Visco Clay Bar followed up by a few hours with orange Correcting Polish and Orange Foam Pads on the Cyclo Polisher had it looking perfect again without much effort. Then I topped it off with a layer of Paint Sealant!