Customer Service 866.965.0400

Audi Q7 upcoming Detail

SouthernSteve

Question

Hi All,

Friends of ours just bought the above...pic below.  They asked me to “do my detailing,” to it.  My question is, since I’ve never worked in an Audi, if anyone has any experience with them and the paint hardness?  My research shows Audi’s can be harder paints but wanted to ask you folks.  

I had it “under the lights,” to do an inspection and thankfully the amount of marring and scratches is very minimal.  The black door trim has the most and one area above the left wheel well.  Our one friend may have though I was a tad nutty as I was inspecting...lol

I have my plan of attack but was hoping someone may have some experience with this particular paint, albeit every situation is different.

i just ordered Adams Spray Ceramic Coating for it...👍

Thanks to @RayS and @Rich  for your write ups that helped me in deciding to use it.

8499ADFC-83A9-4FAA-9614-9D0DF2E8D43E.jpeg

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Steve, Not sure either on how hard or soft the Audi clear is.

Do a 2x2 test spot and start with the least aggressive pad & polish so you will know what you are working with.

1 hour ago, GXPaycheck said:

I’ve been told German clear is on the hard end of the scale. Test sections are a good start. 

Thanks!

Doing a small section is how I start normally. .  My research is showing they tend to be a harder paint.  

Big Thank you!

Edited by SouthernSteve

If it is anything the previous Audi, BMW's that I've done it will be on the harder scale.   The Range Rover is also very hard, which I consider to be good since it tree sap and bird dropping don't see to etch it and my daughter loves to park where she gets plenty of both.   I have also found that with the Range Rover, I can use the Clay Mitt without worrying about additional marring.

You are spot on with the test section, I just consider that to be an automatic method for every vehicle.  I have also found that the harder clear coats take well to going over with Revive Hand Polish after you have done the full polish and prior to using Surface Prep.   Good Luck Steve.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, SouthernSteve said:

Hi All,

Friends of ours just bought the above...pic below.  They asked me to “do my detailing,” to it.  My question is, since I’ve never worked in an Audi, if anyone has any experience with them and the paint hardness?  My research shows Audi’s can be harder paints but wanted to ask you folks.  

I had it “under the lights,” to do an inspection and thankfully the amount of marring and scratches is very minimal.  The black door trim has the most and one area above the left wheel well.  Our one friend may have though I was a tad nutty as I was inspecting...lol

I have my plan of attack but was hoping someone may have some experience with this particular paint, albeit every situation is different.

i just ordered Adams Spray Ceramic Coating for it...👍

Thanks to @RayS and @Rich  for your write ups that helped me in deciding to use it.

8499ADFC-83A9-4FAA-9614-9D0DF2E8D43E.jpeg

Hello to a fellow firefighter...

Audi paint is usually crazy hard. You’ll most likely find polishing takes longer or you’ll use more aggressive methods to get your results. The paint on the posts is usually still not crazy hard though. 

Without seeing the damage, it’s difficult to say what method we’d start with. That decision may also be impacted by what tools/products you have at your disposal. 

Good luck. 

11 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Hello to a fellow firefighter...

Audi paint is usually crazy hard. You’ll most likely find polishing takes longer or you’ll use more aggressive methods to get your results. The paint on the posts is usually still not crazy hard though. 

Without seeing the damage, it’s difficult to say what method we’d start with. That decision may also be impacted by what tools/products you have at your disposal. 

Good luck. 

Thanks, Shane!  

Oh yeah, I’m retired after 30 years on the job...😎

Howdy All,

Haven’t had much time to post lately but figured I would update this post.  The Audi is currently sitting in the garage so the Adams Spray Ceramic coating can cure.

Just to abbreviate, it was washed, chemical and mechanical deconned, polished, two areas that required some compounding, IPA substitute wipe down, and Adams Ceramic Spray coating applied.  I also did the interior...vacuum, clean carpets and all weather Matt’s, cleaned the glass, and wipe down the seats, dash, doors.  Exterior windows and Engine compartment was also given attention.

Started Saturday afternoon and finished about an hour ago.  Thankfully it was so new and the dealer did add the “Dealer Installed Swirls.”

Since I just started using Adams products again, I had other products that I used so out of respect, I won’t mention those brands.  I did use Adams Tire Shine on the tires.

DFA63D24-E789-4300-B158-FD312012BDC3.jpeg

43FACC9F-48E8-4D83-9D92-1EF124D69833.jpeg

CC2C73F0-15A0-483F-9C4B-FBA427419171.jpeg

FC18E27B-EA4F-48F3-8421-162886C7F5A2.jpeg

DFE3329C-7373-4B73-A4DF-DACFBC7DC56B.jpeg