Customer Service 866.965.0400

covering car for winter -- prep and cover

Kevm

Question

Hey gang.

I have my ATS prepped up for winter. It lives outside and is a daily driver basically. I like to keep it as good as possible being it is outdoors. 

I have polished it and put the sealer on it and so far one coat of glaze. I have  Americana and buttery on hand.

So I will be covering it on Thanksgiving weekend and other than the occasional winter drive in nice weather it will be covered. I would like suggestions on the last prep step before the cover and also a suggestion on cover material.

Also if any of you guys keep cars covered outdoors for the winter, I would like some general tips on how often to start, drive etc.

Thank you

110619.jpg

110619_2.jpg

7 answers to this question

PA here.  I always kept a good coat of wax on my daily drivers for the winter, and tried to get the salt off as quick as possible.  Now I have my rides ceramic coated (first winter with it) so this will be interesting.  If you're not planning to drive your car often (less than 2 times a month) I'd add Stabil or SeaFoam to your gas.  As for a cover, I keep two soft fleece flat sheets, sewn together at the short end, over the car before putting the cover on.  Prevents a lot of scratches.  Invest in a good outdoor cover, and one that won't blow up or off in high wind, and won't let moisture through. 

Beautiful Caddy.  

Hi Rich thank you.

PA as well. Northeast.

I did look at weathertech for a cover. Great products but over 550. so I went searching and found this at carID:

Coverking® - Stormproof™ Custom Car Cover for about half of that. It looks good and is rated high. I like your idea about the fleece sheets too. Im considering just covering it just before bad weather and uncovering it once clear, at least for this year. I have not used seafoam in this car but do use it and like it.

Kev

Cover King has a good reputation and I know a lot of guys with Vettes use them.  Think that will be fine.  I'm in Johnstown, close to Somerset. We get crap weather here in the winter.  Snow in the forecast tomorrow night, and several inches in the forecast for next week. Gotta get that ceramic coat on my snowblower blades!!  :2thumbs:

South Central PA here. My Dodge Magnum doesn't see many miles through the winter and sits undisturbed on the driveway until spring. I've opted, not to use a cover on this vehicle I've had in my possession since 2007. My fear is if the wind blows and the cover gets flapping I'll have scuffs and scratches to polish off come spring time. This vehicle has been Ceramic Coated since Adam came out with the product and the finish on the Magnum is near flawless , and now very well protected. I look the vehicle over regularly through the winter, and remove any bird crap, leaves, etc if they're on the paint using Waterless Wash if needed. Inside the garage I'll often use a cover if a vehicle will sit longer

then a couple months. I've found it safer just to clean the inside cars with Rinseless Wash every six weeks or so from any dust that may settle on them rather than covering them. My GTO has had three different covers since I purchased it in the spring of 2007, each one has been a better quality (read more expensive) cover than the previous; you get what you pay for...

XaQ8kYV.jpg

GTO with its original cover for a long winter storage inside:

gxfX4Z6.jpg

Good points and nice Magnum. I have always liked them. I will most likely only cover it in the bad weather...rain snow ice and remove it after melting for a time. I think I will try the cover king.

Thanks guys

Kev

On 11/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, Kevm said:

Hi Rich thank you.

PA as well. Northeast.

I did look at weathertech for a cover. Great products but over 550. so I went searching and found this at carID:

Coverking® - Stormproof™ Custom Car Cover for about half of that. It looks good and is rated high. I like your idea about the fleece sheets too. Im considering just covering it just before bad weather and uncovering it once clear, at least for this year. I have not used seafoam in this car but do use it and like it.

Kev

Do not go with a Stormproof, it'll freeze to your paint.  The only cover that will not freeze is Weathershield.  All of the big companies will sell it.

Ever thought of one of those capsules?  Anyhow, the Magnum looks great.  And it sucks having to cover up the cars for winter.  I keep saying I need to move, but unless there's a lottery win in my future I'm stuck here for life.