Customer Service 866.965.0400

ZL1 microfiber steering wheel cleaning

mhousto

Question

My daughter has a 18 ZL1.  The old man was cleaning the interior (it had been 6 months) and noticed how crappy the steering wheel looked.  I tried a bit of soap and water and a Adams interior brush. It cleaned some of the wheel but in the thumb notches its was still very dirty.  What chemical should I try to clean the stubborn spots on the wheel.  The rest of the microfiber interior just needed a good brushing and vacuum attention. 

6 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, mhousto said:

My daughter has a 18 ZL1.  The old man was cleaning the interior (it had been 6 months) and noticed how crappy the steering wheel looked.  I tried a bit of soap and water and a Adams interior brush. It cleaned some of the wheel but in the thumb notches its was still very dirty.  What chemical should I try to clean the stubborn spots on the wheel.  The rest of the microfiber interior just needed a good brushing and vacuum attention. 

I like using the All purpose interior cleaning gel.

If Im reading this correctly, you're saying its a microfiber steering wheel? If so, I may consider using Microfiber Revitalizer?

3 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

By microfiber, do you mean alcantara?  If you do, it’s treated as suede with mild cleaners and soft brush (boars hair) agitation. It’ll take sone effort to get them clean as most women spread makeup residues and that causes some of the packing of the fibers. 

It’s fake suede probably not Alcantara brand but could be.  It’s the factory wheel.  I redid my C5 interior in Alcantara and feels more substantial however its not a daily driver and gets lots of TLC.  Thanks for the help.  

I have a SS 1LE...the same interior material as the OP's ZL1.

It is Alcantara. I have always used Adams Interior Cleaner with a boars hair brush to work the cleaner in. Then a clean. dry single soft towel to blot out the mess. And it's usually a shocking amount of mess.

I clean mine twice a year. I live in Florida and track/AutoX on the regular. I really need to start using driving gloves.

When clean, the material 'stands up' really nicely. Great feel in the hands. When dirty, it feels 'slick'.