Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte Finish and how to take care of it

Amergator

I just purchased a BMW z4 that has a Matte Grey finish on the entire car.  I am new to this finish and new to detailing and need some sound advice on what to use and what order, etc. to best protect the delicate paint but ensure the car remains looking awesome.  I am really nervous about making sure I get it right as the finish is what makes this car and expensive to fix if I mess it up.  Its a convertible and need to understand what products can be used on the top as well.  Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

I have purchased the following products

Adam's Leather & Interior Care Kit × 1

Adam's Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator (For Tires and Trim) × 1

Adam's Tire Armor × 1

Adam's Interior Detailer × 1

Adam's Wheel & Tire Cleaner Complete Kit × 1

Adam's Wheel Woolie Combo × 1

Adam's Glass Cleaner Combo × 1

Adam's Car Wash Trio × 1

Adam's Matte Detailer × 1

Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener × 1

Adam's Borderless Grey Microfiber Towel × 6

Adam's Interior Detailer × 1

Adam's Microfiber Wash Mitt × 1

Adam's 3.5 Gallon Detailing Bucket × 2

Adam's Gray Microfiber Applicator Pad × 1

NEW Ceramic Spray Coating × 1

Adam's Red Foam Cannon × 1

Hi Edwin! I’m from Ga too. What part are you from? Congrats on the new ride. And welcome to the forum you definitely came to the right place. 

it looks like you e got great inventory so far. And you’ve got probably one of the best ways of protecting your matte finish in the Ceramic Spray Coating. I’ll try and find some videos and threads to send over to you.

Don’t polish matte paint. Or if you do, do so sparingly. The matte comes from the texture of the paint typically. 

There are companies out there that make matte specific products to use. 

And keep in mind if going ceramic, the coating will add a slight sheen to the finish and typically darken the colors. We will be costing a matte vinyl wrapped truck next month. I’ll post pics once it’s done before and after so you can see it. 

I posted the above video because he uses a matte hood as an example so you can see the results and decide if that’s the look youre going for or not.

below I have posted a good thread by @stalebreadjr and I had some input on my process for ceramic coating. Keep in mind I’m not coating a matte finish, so the process will vary pretty greatly. For example i don’t think you’ll want to clay or polish a matte finish. Others will have to chime in on their process for coating a matte finish.

and this next post is also a great one by the @stalebreadjr again after he finally went for the coating. He provides a very good, very extensive write up for his process:

On 11/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

Don’t polish matte paint. Or if you do, do so sparingly. The matte comes from the texture of the paint typically. 

There are companies out there that make matte specific products to use. 

And keep in mind if going ceramic, the coating will add a slight sheen to the finish and typically darken the colors. We will be costing a matte vinyl wrapped truck next month. I’ll post pics once it’s done before and after so you can see it. 

Welcome OP

Hey, rather than start a new topic, maybe I'll just hijack this a bit.  I see you said don't polish matte, "or do so sparingly".  I just got in a USED set of satin black rims.  I was looking at them and thought I wish I could lightly polish them to kinda enhance them.  Think I could do so without loosing much of the satinish look?  I am about to ceramic coat them.  If you say yes, sparingly I would guess, should I use correcting polish I would think and not fine polish? I have a plethora of pads.   Is clay a good idea first?

Edited by bjoeaull

Wheels are no different than paint. They’re typically clear coated so they polish like paint. If you’re going to try to polish them, the least aggressive to most aggressive method still applies. I’d start with a test spot inside the barrels or somewhere hidden and I’d start with finishing polish and pads. Essentially using them as a cleaner.  The process is the same as paint, so clay won’t hurt as would wheel cleaner for decontamination. 

Satin by nature has a slight sheen so changing appearances will be less noticeable. Adding a coating will darken them slightly as well.