Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coated Winter Washing

Wk2Altitude15

Question

Just out of curiosity i wanted to see what everyones methods are for winter washing pre sinses if coated with the CSC 2.0? Im from NEPA and the salt is awful up here. I have a gallon pump sprayer and typically i use a diluted form of an apc along with some car soap for a pre rinse when im at the pay n spray along with hot 2 bucket method. Just wondering what everyone else uses if your coated with the CSC. I want to make sure whatever i use isnt going to degrade the spray coating at all. 

Edited by Wk2Altitude15

7 answers to this question

I would not use APC in your pre-rinse solution, as any harsh cleaner will likely shorten the lifespan of the coating (or any other form of protection).

My pre-rinse solution is shampoo and Rinseless Wash.  I used a Foam Cannon for this solution, with 2oz shampoo and 4oz Rinseless Wash.  For use in a sprayer, mix to the same dilution as the instructions indicate for rinseless washing, and add the shampoo to give the solution some more hang time on the paint.  You may want to switch to a foaming sprayer, as the foam gives it more hang time, and the longer the pre-rinse solution is on the paint, the more effective it will be.

In this write-up, I did a rinse before the pre-soak, but you can do your regular soak then pre-rinse.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 PM, TheWolf said:

I would not use APC in your pre-rinse solution, as any harsh cleaner will likely shorten the lifespan of the coating (or any other form of protection).

My pre-rinse solution is shampoo and Rinseless Wash.  I used a Foam Cannon for this solution, with 2oz shampoo and 4oz Rinseless Wash.  For use in a sprayer, mix to the same dilution as the instructions indicate for rinseless washing, and add the shampoo to give the solution some more hang time on the paint.  You may want to switch to a foaming sprayer, as the foam gives it more hang time, and the longer the pre-rinse solution is on the paint, the more effective it will be.

In this write-up, I did a rinse before the pre-soak, but you can do your regular soak then pre-rinse.

The apc i was referring to was Optimum Power Clean, diluted at 3:1 or even 5:1. Very widely used product that is super safe for clear coat.(just didn't want to talk about other companies products on here). But my main plan was to use a rinseless wash and my pump sprayer does have a foaming tip. My thing is that i will be bringing all of this with me to the pay n spray like i usually do during the winter. At home i use my pressure washer and foam cannon. Just wanted to see what anyone else uses that breaks up or softens any debris on the vehicle from driving. 

22 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

I always go to the car wash and blast all the winter junk off, then come home and do a two bucket wash in my garage.

I know that everyone doesn't have that luxury to wash in a heated garage.

that would definitely be my ultimate solution but not gonna happen lol. 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, Wk2Altitude15 said:

The apc i was referring to was Optimum Power Clean, diluted at 3:1 or even 5:1. Very widely used product that is super safe for clear coat.(just didn't want to talk about other companies products on here). But my main plan was to use a rinseless wash and my pump sprayer does have a foaming tip. My thing is that i will be bringing all of this with me to the pay n spray like i usually do during the winter. At home i use my pressure washer and foam cannon. Just wanted to see what anyone else uses that breaks up or softens any debris on the vehicle from driving. 

That product is still an all purpose cleaner.  At full-strength it is a degreaser, and when diluted it is still a cleaner.  While it may be safe for use on a clear coat, it will still reduce the lifespan of any type of protection on the paint, even a coating.  Any product that is not pH-neutral will have this affect on protection.

You are better off using the shampoo-rinseless mixture to soften winter crud on the car before pre-rinsing.

On 11/16/2019 at 3:17 PM, TheWolf said:

That product is still an all purpose cleaner.  At full-strength it is a degreaser, and when diluted it is still a cleaner.  While it may be safe for use on a clear coat, it will still reduce the lifespan of any type of protection on the paint, even a coating.  Any product that is not pH-neutral will have this affect on protection.

You are better off using the shampoo-rinseless mixture to soften winter crud on the car before pre-rinsing.

Thank you for your input Wolf. That was my main concern was degrading the coating to which ill stick with my other option of using a rinseless wash. Thanks