Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic paint coating vs ceramic spray coating

Ironterp

Question

I'm a fist time user of ceramics and wondering which would be a better fit for my application. The vehicle will be a new 2019 F 250 that's black. It is my daily driver and will be subjected to gravel driveways, driving in the snow, and jobsite conditions.

I know that the ceramic paint coating is thicker with a longer lifespan but I have a couple questions.

The ceramic paint coating cannot get on the trim and glass from what I've read. I will not be using ceramic trim coating or ceramic glass coating I don't want to purchase and work with 3 different products. 

Should I use cpc on all the paint and use csc on the trim and glass? If so, how would you approach applying them? Can you do one and move right on to the other? 

Should I just use csc on the whole truck or would I be sacrificing a noticeable amount of protection from light scratching etc?

I'm not as concerned with longevity more so the durability. Also fyi I have both products so that's not a factor.

Thanks in  advance

14 answers to this question

I have a new black Equinox and I used the Ceramic Spray Coating on it.  That was several months ago and it's still holding up fine. The real trick is in the prep. Watch the videos, follow the prep instructions, and you'll get great results.  I keep it up with the Ceramic Boost.  BUT, my Nox is not a work truck or exposed to bad weather and lousy roads since I'm retired and don't have to go out if the weather and roads are bad.  So for durability, I'd say go with the Ceramic Coating. 

As long as you have a garage to store the vehicle for 24hrs after application, I would use Paint Coating on all paint, lenses, and wheels.  I think it is ok on trim, but I will let someone else verify or decline. 

I would probably spray coat the windshield first, that way you not leaning over and messing up your previous work.

The below is from the product details and FAQ's for the new UV coating

(It states instructions for plastic and trim)

“What can I use this on? Can I just use this on the whole car?”Adam’s UV Ceramic Paint Coating provides protection to an extreme range of areas on your vehicle. Painted surfaces, Trim, Bed Rail Covers, Plastic Engine Bay Components,Headlights, Bed liners, Tonneau covers, Canvas tops, Floor mats— All are safe to be protected.

For Use on Paint: 

Step 1: Remove the 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and supplied Towel and fold towel into fourths. Prepare your paint and use the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Surface Prep towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. Spritz each surface with a direct spray and once into the towel to optimally clean the surface. For optimal results, users must Wash, Clay/Decontaminate, and Polish their paint for best results.

Step 2: Remove the supplied UV Ceramic Paint Coating bottle from the packaging and the pair of supplied gloves. With the gloves on, open and begin to dispense the coating onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator and begin the coating process. Begin to work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area. Cross hatching motions are favored during this process and overlapping your previous pass by 50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Handheld light for inspections. Take note of between the body lines, bumper areas, mirror caps, and commonly missed areas on your vehicle. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 

Step 3: To begin the removal process, remove 1 of the supplied coating removal towels from the packaging and fold the towel into fourths. Begin wiping the coating and applying minimal pressure to the towel. Once fully removed, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from elements or weathering. Not allowing optimal time will force the coating to cure with whatever elements touches it during the curing process. Once fully cured, you’re free to enjoy the open road and have coated, perfected paint no matter how harsh the conditions.

Step 4 (Optional): To give your coating that extra pop after application, spray Adam’s Ceramic Boost to the coating to top the coating with an added layer of silica enhancement. Apply as needed.

For Use on Plastic & Trim:

Step 1: Remove the 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and supplied Edgeless Utility Towel and fold towel into fourths. Prepare your trim and use the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and edgeless utility towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. Spritz each surface with a direct spray and once into the towel to optimally clean the surface. For heavily contaminated trim and plastic, we recommend a deep cleanse with Tire & Rubber Cleaner and an edgeless utility towel.

Step 2: Remove the supplied UV Ceramic Paint Coating bottle from the packaging and the pair of supplied gloves. With the gloves on, open and open the bottle and begin dispensing the chemical onto the supplied micro silk applicator to begin the coating process. Begin to work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area. Since the product is being applied to a porous plastic surface, you will not see a rainbow/ flashing effect— the immediate color change of the plastic or trim will reveal where the product has been applied.

Step 3: Allow coating to fully cure for 1-2 hours, free from elements or weathering. Not allowing optimal time will force the coating to cure with whatever elements touches it during the curing process. Once cured, you’re free to enjoy the open road and have clean, dressed plastic & trim no matter how harsh the conditions.

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

The below is from the product details and FAQ's for the new UV coating

(It states instructions for plastic and trim)

“What can I use this on? Can I just use this on the whole car?”Adam’s UV Ceramic Paint Coating provides protection to an extreme range of areas on your vehicle. Painted surfaces, Trim, Bed Rail Covers, Plastic Engine Bay Components,Headlights, Bed liners, Tonneau covers, Canvas tops, Floor mats— All are safe to be protected.

For Use on Paint: 

Step 1: Remove the 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and supplied Towel and fold towel into fourths. Prepare your paint and use the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Surface Prep towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. Spritz each surface with a direct spray and once into the towel to optimally clean the surface. For optimal results, users must Wash, Clay/Decontaminate, and Polish their paint for best results.

Step 2: Remove the supplied UV Ceramic Paint Coating bottle from the packaging and the pair of supplied gloves. With the gloves on, open and begin to dispense the coating onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator and begin the coating process. Begin to work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area. Cross hatching motions are favored during this process and overlapping your previous pass by 50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Handheld light for inspections. Take note of between the body lines, bumper areas, mirror caps, and commonly missed areas on your vehicle. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 

Step 3: To begin the removal process, remove 1 of the supplied coating removal towels from the packaging and fold the towel into fourths. Begin wiping the coating and applying minimal pressure to the towel. Once fully removed, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from elements or weathering. Not allowing optimal time will force the coating to cure with whatever elements touches it during the curing process. Once fully cured, you’re free to enjoy the open road and have coated, perfected paint no matter how harsh the conditions.

Step 4 (Optional): To give your coating that extra pop after application, spray Adam’s Ceramic Boost to the coating to top the coating with an added layer of silica enhancement. Apply as needed.

For Use on Plastic & Trim:

Step 1: Remove the 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and supplied Edgeless Utility Towel and fold towel into fourths. Prepare your trim and use the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and edgeless utility towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. Spritz each surface with a direct spray and once into the towel to optimally clean the surface. For heavily contaminated trim and plastic, we recommend a deep cleanse with Tire & Rubber Cleaner and an edgeless utility towel.

Step 2: Remove the supplied UV Ceramic Paint Coating bottle from the packaging and the pair of supplied gloves. With the gloves on, open and open the bottle and begin dispensing the chemical onto the supplied micro silk applicator to begin the coating process. Begin to work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area. Since the product is being applied to a porous plastic surface, you will not see a rainbow/ flashing effect— the immediate color change of the plastic or trim will reveal where the product has been applied.

Step 3: Allow coating to fully cure for 1-2 hours, free from elements or weathering. Not allowing optimal time will force the coating to cure with whatever elements touches it during the curing process. Once cured, you’re free to enjoy the open road and have clean, dressed plastic & trim no matter how harsh the conditions.

Thanks I didn't realize it was safe for trim I must have been reading information about the former paint coating

23 minutes ago, Ironterp said:

Thanks I didn't realize it was safe for trim I must have been reading information about the former paint coating

Yeah this is the new coating, and for some reason it hasn't really been a big focal point that it's meant for trim coating as well.

Anyways I love the Ceramic Spray Coating as well. You can use that on everything including your glass. I plan on using the UV paint coating as a base, on paint and trim and following up with Ceramic Spray Coating on all parts of the vehicle.

5 hours ago, Ironterp said:

One other thing, the ceramic kit comes with a 4 oz bottle of the coating prep will that be enough to do my whole truck?

Based on doing my son-in-laws F-150 crew cab with a 7 foot box, 4 ounces should be more than enough Surface Prep to do the entire truck.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Ironterp said:

I'm a fist time user of ceramics and wondering which would be a better fit for my application. The vehicle will be a new 2019 F 250 that's black. It is my daily driver and will be subjected to gravel driveways, driving in the snow, and jobsite conditions.

I know that the ceramic paint coating is thicker with a longer lifespan but I have a couple questions.

The ceramic paint coating cannot get on the trim and glass from what I've read. I will not be using ceramic trim coating or ceramic glass coating I don't want to purchase and work with 3 different products. 

Should I use cpc on all the paint and use csc on the trim and glass? If so, how would you approach applying them? Can you do one and move right on to the other? 

Should I just use csc on the whole truck or would I be sacrificing a noticeable amount of protection from light scratching etc?

I'm not as concerned with longevity more so the durability. Also fyi I have both products so that's not a factor.

Thanks in  advance

I love our Ceramic Spray and use it often, however it can't compare to our Ceramic Coating.

If you have your paint perfect and have the time I vote for Ceramic Coating.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, Chris@Adams said:

I love our Ceramic Spray and use it often, however it can't compare to our Ceramic Coating.

If you have your paint perfect and have the time I vote for Ceramic Coating.

Do you recommend it for use on the windshield and windows?  Would CSC work better on those?

1 hour ago, BoomerSooner said:

Do you recommend it for use on the windshield and windows?  Would CSC work better on those?

Don't use traditional ceramic coating on glass. Ceramic Spray Coating, however, will work great on it. You could also use the Ceramic Glass Coating, but it's more finicky to apply than CSC.