Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Ceramic Coating question

Kkramer1990

Question

Okay I am super OCD when it comes to light scratches under my ceramic coating on my black car. I have 2 polisher machines and all the Adam stuff as well. How can I remove coating layers? I’ve watched a good amount of videos but want to correct the paint under the coating before applying new layers. Any feedback would be great. Thank you!

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, BRZN said:

It'll take a machine. Try using Adam's Compound on a Microfiber Pad, that should remove the Ceramic Coating with a nice slow pass or two.

Thank you for the help. It’s just the 12mm for smaller spots but I did get the compound and microfiber pad in my mystery swirl killer box. Thank you

Coatings are not that thick.  A light polish on a polishing pad will remove it.  I had no issues removing the UV paint coating or UV spray coating with a medium to fine cut polish on a polishing pad.  The coating had cured for about a week..  

You will notice a color change of the paint and you should get the squeaky feel you typically get from polishing.

11 hours ago, Kkramer1990 said:

Dumb question but how do I know when the coating is gone?

The best answer to this is to wipe it with an oil remover (ceramic prep) and then put water on it to see how it reacts. 

Without experience I’d use that as opposed to looking for “color change” since for some people, their awareness of color change may not occur until you’ve burned the clear coat. 

Different coatings come off with different amounts of abrasion. Some will come off with a polish. Some need a compound. Some of the ones we work with require wet sanding or a lot of compounding to remove. 

1 hour ago, Kkramer1990 said:

I forgot to mention that it is ceramic pro that has the scratches under it. Will that change anything? Thank you!

Check with your installer.  Some of their coatings require wet sanding.  

5 hours ago, Kkramer1990 said:

I forgot to mention that it is ceramic pro that has the scratches under it. Will that change anything? Thank you!

We are a CP installer. Were the scratches there before they coated it?  If so, they may have been too deep to polish out safely. You may be chasing a problem where the solution is a body shop. 

4 hours ago, The Guz said:

Check with your installer.  Some of their coatings require wet sanding.  

What CP coating level did you get?  The top layers can usually polish off. The base layer is harder to work with. This is true of many professional grade coatings. It’s what can make some of the unforgiving to work with and why they require professional application. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

So I have the UV Ceramic Spray Coating ( which from what I have been told it is the same as the normal ceramic spray) on both cars and if I have an issue with say a section I can remove the coating by simply buffing the area.  If I have to do this, would I use the One Step polish and the One Step pad, or would I need the correction polish and orange pad or would the finishing polish and white pad do the job.  Also should I use the prep first.