Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Ceramic Black Trim Restorer Application on Faded Trim

The Guz

Product:

Adams Ceramic Black Trim Restorer

Description:

Restore your faded black trim and ceramic coat it in one step!

• Restores black trim, plastic, and rubber components
  • Easy wipe-on and allow to air dry
  • Ceramic Coating and Pigment Restoration in one
  • Ceramic Protection for years

I picked this up at the local cars and coffee at the Anaheim location.

I had a front cowl that I picked up at a local salvage yard that I ended up using as it is a two piece design rather than a one piece design. It is a better design and allows for easier replacement of the cabin filter.

This ceramic trim restorer does two things with one product. It restores using the black dye while offering protection of a ceramic coating.

The trim piece was cleaned and prepped prior to application. Hard to capture the true condition of the trim.

IMG_5541a.jpg.81d89638f24422d7053b34c9c0810abd.jpg

During the restoration process

IMG_5542a.jpg.9bdbcba515de55d091ccdc906c61e700.jpg

Even used it on this plastic push pin that was pretty faded by the So Cal sun over the last 20 years.

IMG_5563a.jpg.d7094e77dfe9d9a57a4305c135e9cee1.jpg

After. Much better

IMG_5564a.jpg.bf4e8226a940c109d4d8d7e2cdc65a8f.jpg

The trim after the application is black and has life after two coats of product.

IMG_5566a.jpg.932581c228d02fb43cd58f5ecba8061b.jpg

The ceramic black trim restorer did a good job at restoring this trim piece. I will see how it holds up over the next few months. Application is straight forward. I would recommend wearing gloves to not get the dye on the hands.

If you have older trim that needs some restoration this will work. The plastic trim may need multiple applications. If the trim is newer then I would stick with the regular ceramic trim coating.

There is rubber on this trim price and I found that it can be streaky if used on rubber.  It absorbs differently into the rubber than plastic. Wiping the rubber helps to even out the coating applied to rubber.  

IMG_5545a.jpg.bd23e333b1dd0777f4f848ab24f92d80.jpg

17 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Nice write up!

Thank you.

12 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Nice write up Guz!

Thank you.

7 hours ago, RayS said:

Thank you Michael for doing the write up.

Thank you.  Glad you enjoyed the write up.

7 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Looks good, nice job.

Thank you.  The trim does look good a day later after a couple coats.  

Excellent write up.  I have black plastic trim on the bottom of my Equinox .  I've only used the Ceramic Spray Coating on it, but then again it's a new car.  Once it starts to fade, I'm for sure going to use the trim restorer thanks to your write up!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Excellent write up.  I have black plastic trim on the bottom of my Equinox .  I've only used the Ceramic Spray Coating on it, but then again it's a new car.  Once it starts to fade, I'm for sure going to use the trim restorer thanks to your write up!  :thumbsup:

Thanks.  The trim on yours should hold up and not need the trim restorer as long as you use the ceramic spray often.  

20 hours ago, The Guz said:

Thanks.  The trim on yours should hold up and not need the trim restorer as long as you use the ceramic spray often.  

I normally only keep cars till they're paid off, so if it lasts 5 years......I'm good.   But I still like to keep them looking showroom new.  

19 hours ago, quebert said:

Nice nice, I could use some of of this, I don't know whether to order this or the Ceramic Trim Coating though. It sounds like maybe this is better for heavily faded trim?

If the trim is in need of restoration then this would be the one you want.  If the trim is still relatively new and not faded the regular trim coating will work just fine.  

Does anyone know if you can use the black trim restore and top it with ceramic trim coating or ceramic black. I have a 2013 dodge ram with ram boxes and just the black plastic on top of the boxes turned almost white. I cleaned them good per directions of ceramic black trim coating and am going on 3 coats of ceramic black coating and its still lighter than the other plastics around it. Just wondering for next time if i can apply the restore then the ceramic?

update: tried using the black trim restore instead of ceramic black trim coating and it worked about the same so i went right over it with ceramic black coating... guess that answers that!! 

Edited by M_carlisle

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, imakeaway said:

Rubber window trim is my problem area. I tried Cerakote Trim Coat, which turned sticky and could not be leveled out nicely (over-saturation of product on the wipes didn't help). How easy was it to wipe down / level out this 2-in-1 Ceramic Black Trim Restorer from Adam's? Also, how long did it last?

Thanks for any insight you can offer. I love detailing my new blacked out Ram Limited, but the amount of work involved with keeping it sharp for more than a week (and removing failed junk products) has been exhausting. :)

First, welcome! Be sure to post an intro so we can properly welcome you and post some pictures as well of the new ride!

My recommendation would be to use the Graphene Ceramic Coating/Spray Coating, and get the kit. It would need to be completely cleaned, but assuming the trim is in good condition especially since it's new, would add some deep richness and last a long time. It's easy to apply, but one caveat... Be sure to level it out like you would on the paint (allow a couple of minutes or so), or you could get difficult to remove streaks.