Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Spray before Wax?

MitchPI

Question

16 answers to this question

5 hours ago, NuNu said:

Gonna sound dumb probably but still learning all the abbraviations .....what is HGG?

No worries!!

H2O Guard and Gloss. All acronyms can be found at the link below, or hover over it if on a tablet, laptop, etc.

Looks great!

I'll be honest, waxes work great on dark and bright colors. But I haven't found a better combo on white than Paint Sealant and H2O Guard and Gloss (HGG, about once a month/every 3-4 washes). I don't know what it is, it simply looks better and makes the paint pop more, and it'll last longer than the Americana. I've also used Ceramic Paste Wax, Ceramic Waterless, Ceramic Boost, and Ceramic Spray Coating, and still think PS and HGG takes the cake for appearance. When you get a chance, try it. I think you'll love it.

I have to agree with Chris @falcaineer on the HGG and white vehicles.  I had been using waxes on the white vehicles until Chris posted some pictures of a white vehicle with HGG on it and I haven't used anything else since then on white vehicles.  Not only is it very easy to apply, it is also easy to maintain using it as a drying aid about once ever 4-6 weeks according to whether it is a daily driver left outside or a rarely driven garage queen, which can easily go a couple of months.

Thanks guys.  I’ve got a bottle of the Adams Ceramic spray but I’ve been hesitant to try it as I don’t have an indoor area to apply and cure.  Are you saying to use that and maintain with HGG?  Or could I do HGG on top of the wax?

2 hours ago, MitchPI said:

Thanks guys.  I’ve got a bottle of the Adams Ceramic spray but I’ve been hesitant to try it as I don’t have an indoor area to apply and cure.  Are you saying to use that and maintain with HGG?  Or could I do HGG on top of the wax?

On white, I use HGG and nothing else.  No wax or ceramic, just HGG.  

3 hours ago, MitchPI said:

14 minutes ago, RayS said:

On white, I use HGG and nothing else.  No wax or ceramic, just HGG.  

I'd actually say Paint Sealant as your base, then HGG to maintain once a month or every 3-4 washes. Use your Ceramic Spray Coating on other vehicles, all weather mats, or keep it if you don't like the PS/HGG combo.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, falcaineer said:

I'd actually say Paint Sealant as your base, then HGG to maintain once a month or every 3-4 washes. Use your Ceramic Spray Coating on other vehicles, all weather mats, or keep it if you don't like the PS/HGG combo.

Thanks Chris.  I wasn't even thinking about the base layer, which I also use paint sealant as a base before HGG.  My mind was thinking of comment about wax being put on the vehicle, which I never do when HGG is involved, I just go with paint sealant and then HGG and nothing in between.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, MitchPI said:

So if I go with the paint sealant next time, if I’m reading right I’ll have to clay bar the vehicle before applying the sealant?

Only clay if it is needed.  Do the 'baggie' test - on a clean spot put a plastic bag over you hand and feel the paint.  If it feels bumpy, then it should be clayed, otherwise move on the sealant.  And if you don't have clay, apply the sealant anyway, and get some clay in the next 6 months before if needs to have sealant applied again.

30 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Only clay if it is needed.  Do the 'baggie' test - on a clean spot put a plastic bag over you hand and feel the paint.  If it feels bumpy, then it should be clayed, otherwise move on the sealant.  And if you don't have clay, apply the sealant anyway, and get some clay in the next 6 months before if needs to have sealant applied again.

Great point, Mike! Only thing I'd add is to rub lightly, otherwise you may induce some light scratches.

7 hours ago, NuNu said:

Gonna sound dumb probably but still learning all the abbraviations .....what is HGG?

No such thing as a dump question.  HGG is H20 Guard and Gloss.  There a long list of abbreviations and if you hold your mouse over the abbreviations they full name will appear, if it is in the library.  

Here's a thread about the list and the usage that may be helpful: