Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Wax or Ceramic Spray Coating? What Detailing Path?

fireman_af

Question

Last spring I did the Revive Polish, Glaze, Paint Sealant and topped with Buttery wax and then maintained through the summer with Guard and Gloss. Well, this spring I am debating on trying out something different. But, looking for advice on 2 different options I am debating on.

Here are some vehicle details if it matters to determine best decision. I have a Blue 2019 Camaro. It is my daily driver. It is parked outside 24/7. No garage or carport. I do not take it thru a carwash. I wash by hand. I am up in Boston Area so, it does see road salt but, I wash the car pretty often. 

First, I am wanting to remove light swirls that I am noticing. So, I plan on using Strip Wash and then doing clay. After that I was thinking I would do a Compound and then the Polish. My first question, do I really need to do a Compound or would a Polish be ok? No major scratches. Looks to be light swirls. But, they are noticeable. No hard water spots or deep scratches. 

Now, this is the 2 paths I am debating on and so, my second question. 

1. Then go a Paint Sealant (Or is PS not needed?) and then try out the Americana Wax and maintain again with Guard and Gloss and occasional Glaze 

2. Or go with Spray Ceramic Coating and then top with Ceramic Liquid Wax and maintain with Ceramic Boost. 

I have been hearing some good things about the Ceramic Spray. I would try doing a actual 9H Ceramic but, not really wanting to try that myself. 

If someone has a better plan I should do, I am willing to hear it. 

Edited by fireman_af
Typo

15 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, fireman_af said:

Last spring I did the Revive Polish, Glaze, Paint Sealant and topped with Buttery wax and then maintained through the summer with Guard and Gloss. Well, this spring I am debating on trying out something different. But, looking for advice on 2 different options I am debating on.

Here are some vehicle details if it matters to determine best decision. I have a Blue 2019 Camaro. It is my daily driver. It is parked outside 24/7. No garage or carport. I do not take it thru a carwash. I wash by hand. I am up in Boston Area so, it does see road salt but, I wash the car pretty often. 

First, I am wanting to remove light swirls that I am noticing. So, I plan on using Strip Wash and then doing clay. After that I was thinking I would do a Compound and then the Polish. My first question, do I really need to do a Compound or would a Polish be ok? No major scratches. Looks to be light swirls. But, they are noticeable. No hard water spots or deep scratches. 

Now, this is the 2 paths I am debating on and so, my second question. 

1. Then go a Paint Sealant (Or is PS not needed?) and then try out the Americana Wax and maintain again with Guard and Gloss and occasional Glaze 

2. Or go with Spray Ceramic Coating and then top with Ceramic Liquid Wax and maintain with Ceramic Boost. 

I have been hearing some good things about the Ceramic Spray. I would try doing a actual 9H Ceramic but, not really wanting to try that myself. 

If someone has a better plan I should do, I am willing to hear it. 

Hi Jeff,

Always an excited time to try something new! With your camaro being outside 24/7 my suggestion would be to go with Ceramic Spray Coating. It's really an incredible product that will give you more robust protection than the paint sealant and/or americana especially for something that is outdoors 24/7.

In terms of polishing, every paint is different and unique. Always do a test spot first and start by using the least aggressive method. Since it seems you have Revive Hand Polish, that's where I always start. If you feel like you need something with more cut than the Revive Hand Polish, move up to the white Polish, and reassess. If you like your results then stop there and use that method to correct your paint. If you feel like your defects are deeper , then move to the blue Compound. 

14 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Hi Jeff,

Always an excited time to try something new! With your camaro being outside 24/7 my suggestion would be to go with Ceramic Spray Coating. It's really an incredible product that will give you more robust protection than the paint sealant and/or americana especially for something that is outdoors 24/7.

In terms of polishing, every paint is different and unique. Always do a test spot first and start by using the least aggressive method. Since it seems you have Revive Hand Polish, that's where I always start. If you feel like you need something with more cut than the Revive Hand Polish, move up to the white Polish, and reassess. If you like your results then stop there and use that method to correct your paint. If you feel like your defects are deeper , then move to the blue Compound. 

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, trying to find that process that adds a good protection but, incredible shine can be tricky. Been watching some videos on the Ceramic Spray Coating and seems to be a good option. 

2 hours ago, fireman_af said:

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, trying to find that process that adds a good protection but, incredible shine can be tricky. Been watching some videos on the Ceramic Spray Coating and seems to be a good option. 

I have three vehicles that daily drivers and outside 24/7 that have been converted to Ceramic Spray Coating and I couldn't be happier with the results.  Once the vehicles were corrected, it was a matter of going over them with the Ceramic Prep and then following the instructions for the Ceramic Spray Coating.  The first one I did took me the longest since it was the learning curve and now it pretty much routine.

57 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

To help you decide on wax or coating, check our this article...

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27631-faq-should-i-use-wax-or-sealant-on-my-car/

I read that already. But, it doesn't give you the feedback based on personal experience from users. I have never used the Ceramic Spray Coating but, I have used the Sealant and a wax before. I am wanting to know if people find the new Ceramic Spray a good option over the Americana Wax. 

56 minutes ago, RayS said:

I have three vehicles that daily drivers and outside 24/7 that have been converted to Ceramic Spray Coating and I couldn't be happier with the results.  Once the vehicles were corrected, it was a matter of going over them with the Ceramic Prep and then following the instructions for the Ceramic Spray Coating.  The first one I did took me the longest since it was the learning curve and now it pretty much routine.

Oh great. Thank you. Sounds like it would be good to give the Ceramic Spray Coating a go. Have you also used the Ceramic Wax afterwards? What do you use for upkeep?

2 hours ago, RayS said:

1 hour ago, fireman_af said:

I read that already. But, it doesn't give you the feedback based on personal experience from users. I have never used the Ceramic Spray Coating but, I have used the Sealant and a wax before. I am wanting to know if people find the new Ceramic Spray a good option over the Americana Wax. 

Oh great. Thank you. Sounds like it would be good to give the Ceramic Spray Coating a go. Have you also used the Ceramic Wax afterwards? What do you use for upkeep?

Gotcha, sorry for any confusion. I love the CSC (but for white, still love PS and HGG). I use Ceramic Boost about once a month, and Ceramic Waterless in between for maintenance. The Ceramic Coating Wax, while I haven't used it, has gotten great reviews from people I've talked to. If flew under the radar when released. CSC is super easy to use, but with any coating, prep is everything so don't skip the steps necessary to get the best results and longest lasting protection.

Everything that @falcaineer said, including White and HGG being a perfect combination is spot on.  While I have not used the recently released Ceramic Coating Wax, I had the original Ceramic Paste Wax on four vehicles and loved it.  It is now on two of the vehicles, one that is outside and one garage queen that have Ceramic Spray Coating as the base.  It is also on one vehicle that does not have CSC and is also a outside daily driver.

I think Ceramic Spray Coating will do a great job on white, but if it were my white vehicle, I would really learn toward putting HGG on it.  As you can see from two of my prior posts, I'm still a little undecided on which way to go one of the current project cars, but it is project car, so decision gets made when the vehicle is ready for the road or sale.

53 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Gotcha, sorry for any confusion. I love the CSC (but for white, still love PS and HGG). I use Ceramic Boost about once a month, and Ceramic Waterless in between for maintenance. The Ceramic Coating Wax, while I haven't used it, has gotten great reviews from people I've talked to. If flew under the radar when released. CSC is super easy to use, but with any coating, prep is everything so don't skip the steps necessary to get the best results and longest lasting protection.

Oh no problem. With my first go thru with PS and HGG I did love it. I think I am just looking for something a little different that adds that good protection but, adds some very nice depth and shine to my blue vehicle. I have read many comments about Americana being just that but, with CSC I am thinking that will be the better way to go. 

18 minutes ago, RayS said:

Everything that @falcaineer said, including White and HGG being a perfect combination is spot on.  While I have not used the recently released Ceramic Coating Wax, I had the original Ceramic Paste Wax on four vehicles and loved it.  It is now on two of the vehicles, one that is outside and one garage queen that have Ceramic Spray Coating as the base.  It is also on one vehicle that does not have CSC and is also a outside daily driver.

I think Ceramic Spray Coating will do a great job on white, but if it were my white vehicle, I would really learn toward putting HGG on it.  As you can see from two of my prior posts, I'm still a little undecided on which way to go one of the current project cars, but it is project car, so decision gets made when the vehicle is ready for the road or sale.

I will have to check out those threads you shared. I have been use HGG now since this past summer and enjoy it. It does look great. But, where my car is outside 24/7 and I wash it a couple times a month (can't stand it dirty) I was hoping the CSC will be a better alternative to last a bit longer but, also add a great shine. 

When you used the CSC and then topped with the CPW did you wait 24 hrs before applying or did you apply after you finished the coat of CSC?

15 hours ago, fireman_af said:

Yes it takes some thought, but Adam's has truly come up with systems to make it easier for everyday people to acheive great shine, and protection.

I would highly recommend the Ceramic Spray Coating. It's a relatively new product (first formula came out about a year ago), so there's not a ton of information out there on its longevity. But I have been doing a test of my own, and I think what Adam's claims for longevity is accurate. I coated my vehicle with Ceramic Spray Coating (the first formula) and they claimed 6-8 months. My vehicle is outside 24/7, and I washed it about every week to every two weeks. I can say that it lasted probably a little over the 8 month mark. For that reason, I trust their claims of longevity. 

It's also pretty easy to apply, just make sure you take the proper steps to prepare the surface which you mostly have already planned to do. Strip wash and clay are the big ones. If I may recommend using Iron Remover prior to claying, that would remove many contaminants that your clay won't be able to reach, also it will reduce the risk of marring with the clay since there would be less contamination. Then Polish to your desired finish. Once you finish polishing, use Surface prep to remove any oils or really anything that may have been left over from any of the previous steps. This will help to acheive your paint/clearcoat to be bare. It's important to have naked paint to allow the Coating to bond properly to the paint (if there's wax or sealant or polishing residue or contamination, the coating will be bonding to those things as opposed to the paint.)

Anyway, I highly recommend it, it will giv eyou great protection, but it will also look amazing!

13 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Wait at least 4 hours to allow the CSC to cure. 

Copy. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Yes it takes some thought, but Adam's has truly come up with systems to make it easier for everyday people to acheive great shine, and protection.

I would highly recommend the Ceramic Spray Coating. It's a relatively new product (first formula came out about a year ago), so there's not a ton of information out there on its longevity. But I have been doing a test of my own, and I think what Adam's claims for longevity is accurate. I coated my vehicle with Ceramic Spray Coating (the first formula) and they claimed 6-8 months. My vehicle is outside 24/7, and I washed it about every week to every two weeks. I can say that it lasted probably a little over the 8 month mark. For that reason, I trust their claims of longevity. 

It's also pretty easy to apply, just make sure you take the proper steps to prepare the surface which you mostly have already planned to do. Strip wash and clay are the big ones. If I may recommend using Iron Remover prior to claying, that would remove many contaminants that your clay won't be able to reach, also it will reduce the risk of marring with the clay since there would be less contamination. Then Polish to your desired finish. Once you finish polishing, use Surface prep to remove any oils or really anything that may have been left over from any of the previous steps. This will help to acheive your paint/clearcoat to be bare. It's important to have naked paint to allow the Coating to bond properly to the paint (if there's wax or sealant or polishing residue or contamination, the coating will be bonding to those things as opposed to the paint.)

Anyway, I highly recommend it, it will giv eyou great protection, but it will also look amazing!

Oh glad to hear that. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I was going to pay a detail company to ceramic coat my car but every where I looked wanted 1500-2000 for paint correction and 9H ceramic coating. Figured I would try myself. I find it relaxing being outside working on the car anyways. 

As you mentioned. I am planning on doing all the prep work. I usually strip wash, clay and then wax every spring and fall. But, I just bought the following to add to my Adams collection and prepare for this session.  This should be good.

Question, can you use regular detail spray and/or waterless wash afterwards or when needed without impacting the CSC or Ceramic Wax?

6slbOiI.jpg

Edited by fireman_af

4 hours ago, fireman_af said:

Copy. Thank you. 

Oh glad to hear that. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I was going to pay a detail company to ceramic coat my car but every where I looked wanted 1500-2000 for paint correction and 9H ceramic coating. Figured I would try myself. I find it relaxing being outside working on the car anyways. 

As you mentioned. I am planning on doing all the prep work. I usually strip wash, clay and then wax every spring and fall. But, I just bought the following to add to my Adams collection and prepare for this session.  This should be good.

Question, can you use regular detail spray and/or waterless wash afterwards or when needed without impacting the CSC or Ceramic Wax?

6slbOiI.jpg

Both Waterless Wash and Detail Spray will be safe without harming the coating, however, the detail spray can mess with the hydrophobic properties of the coating since it's in the wax family. 

I used Detail spray several times on my coating just because I really enjoy the Detail Spray finish, and didn't notice anything different, but in theory, there would be some effect on the hydrophoics of the coating since youw ould be laying a very light layer of wax ontop of the coating.

So I would suggest you use Waterless Wash before you resort to DS.

34 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Both Waterless Wash and Detail Spray will be safe without harming the coating, however, the detail spray can mess with the hydrophobic properties of the coating since it's in the wax family. 

I used Detail spray several times on my coating just because I really enjoy the Detail Spray finish, and didn't notice anything different, but in theory, there would be some effect on the hydrophoics of the coating since youw ould be laying a very light layer of wax ontop of the coating.

So I would suggest you use Waterless Wash before you resort to DS.

Makes sense. I have a couple bottles of DS so, was just wondering. Lol. Thank you very much for the feedback. 

Hey Jeff, I am sure you have already purchased all you want and need and have made your decision on what direction but i do wanna give you my experience with Adams UV ceramic 9H coating. I took on the challenge to do a full strip wash, iron remover, clay and then paint correction finishing with the Ceramic Coating about 2 weeks ago and I know that not a lot of time at all but it has been amazing. It’s extremely slick and repels the water so well, washing is so much easier and the paint is always perfect when I am done. 

My experience applying the product was very good. It is a little nerve racking at first but after a section or two it goes quick. The UV light really helps to know where you’ve started and stopped and seeing if you’ve missed anything. 

My advise would be to take your time on the prep, make sure those swirls are completely gone. It’s a fantastic coating and i could not be happier so if you want to up your paint and coating protection even further in the future i would highly recommend the UV Ceramic Coating. In the mean time i have heard nothing but great things about the CSC

Best of luck to ya and happy detailing