Customer Service 866.965.0400
Sign in to follow this  
Zach5.9CTD

Polished wheel care

Question

Hey guys. Just purchased a new set of polished (uncoated i believe) aluminum wheels for my hot rod truck. Wanting to protect them asap when i receive them. I was wondering if i can use the adams ceramic spray coating on the face and barrel of the wheels without concern. Also whats the best method to prep them for coating if im able to coat them and whats best method for care afterwards.  Thanks and heres a pic of the wheels. 

521_Nitro-1000.jpg

8 answers to this question

Hi Zach, nice wheels. 

Yes, the Ceramic Spray Coating is suitable on wheels. However, you may want to look into the Wheel Coating kit as it leaves a much thicker much more robust protection that will last for years. Ceramic Spray Coating will last for probably one year.

Process in coating the wheels would be dependent on a few things.

Have you been driving with them already? If you have you'll want to do a full cleaning with Eco Wheel Cleaner/Wheel cleaner and likely use a claybar to remove any additional contaminants that the Wheel Cleaner couldn't get. You want them to be completly free or any dirt, grime and contaminants before you coat them. If they need to be re polished do that. Then use surface prep to remove any polishing oils or anythings else left over on the finish, this is a critical step and paves the way for the coating to truly bond to the surface. Then apply your coating, and allow to cure.

Maintenence would mainly be using something like Car Shampoo in your bucket with your wheel tools to clean the wheels, and every once in a while using Eco Wheel Cleaner/Wheel Cleaner to get any stubborn contaminants off. But for the most part, just using car shampoo should do a good job of cleaning them since the coating will not allow dirt and grime to stick. Every 4-6 weeks you'll want to use a ceramic infused product to maintain the wheels after you have cleaned them. So you would clean them and after they are clean apply either Ceramic Boost or CS3 or H20 Guard and Gloss.

4 minutes ago, Zach5.9CTD said:

Ah ok. But ceramics are ok on raw polished aluminum?

I talked to a company that does Clear Bra and ceramic coating and the owner said that Ceramic on Raw Aluminum doesn't work. Aluminum will corrode under the ceramic and then it will be harder to polish. He suggested trying clear powder coating but wasn't sure if that would work either. Raw Aluminum sucks and the only way to keep them clean is to wash and polish regularly. 

Out of curiosity, take some fine metal polish to the wheels. See if it comes to grey instantly. If it doesn’t, they’re clear coated. Most (not all) aluminum wheels are clear coated due to maintenance issues. 

That being said, you can polish, seal and ceramic if you’d like. But no matter what raw aluminum wheels will need regular maintenance or they will look horrible and possibly be ruined. 

It is confirmed the wheels are raw. Knowing that with moving forward now what precautionary steps should i take to avoid damaging the finish through cleaning or protecting them. 

Screenshot_20200212-113253_Email.jpg