Customer Service 866.965.0400

Long Term Tire Armor Review

avvblanc01

Question

I've been using the Tire Armor for a few months now and wanted to share my thoughts in video form. I have a truck on 37's that sees lots of dirt action, and I was mowing through VRT like it was water! I can't believe how long this Tire Armor lasts, even when my truck gets driven through rain and off road. Absolutely 10/10 recommend this stuff to anyone looking for a more durable tire coating!

19 answers to this question

4 hours ago, BrianT said:

Andrew, great video!  Nice truck, how do you like your free spin hubs?

I love em! The previous owner installed them, but now I’m ruined and want them on everything. The hubs are a lot higher quality than the factory unit bearing assembly, and there’s actually a noticeable gain in fuel economy. Only downside is having to get out and walk in the mud when I get caught off guard and need 4wd haha

Next question... my Tire Armor is doing great... it’s been on about three weeks. I noticed it’s fading a bit. Do I need to remove it all and do the process over or can I touch it up with another coat?

I gave the tires 2 coats, so far I would have preferred them to be more glossy. I used half the bottle so I'm hesitant to apply a third coat since it may get costly to coat the tires vs tire shine

Positive note, clean and dry to the touch. Now the test will be durability.

2 coats on tire, wheel was ceramic coated

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.4162c39eea9629d3108dc4c650bb2410.jpg

No coats on tire - Ceramic coated wheel

IMG_0178.thumb.jpg.057bb9031118d86914ecb705aa917233.jpg

On 4/12/2020 at 10:11 PM, Rb1274 said:

Next question... my Tire Armor is doing great... it’s been on about three weeks. I noticed it’s fading a bit. Do I need to remove it all and do the process over or can I touch it up with another coat?

I let the Tire armor run it’s course. I notice the tires starting to get brown under the coating after about 4-5 weeks. Today I used wheel and tire cleaner to take off what’s was left. When I dried the tires you could see the broken remains of the ceramic coat. Pretty cool how it was cracked looking. I would have had to do two or three more cleanings to get it off. So I just went over it with Tire Shine. 

Question when you see tire blooming can you scrub with Rubber and tire cleaner to get the tires black again, or is the brown under the tire armor? I think it’s under the coating and to get it off you need to strip and reapply...

5 hours ago, Rb1274 said:

I let the Tire armor run it’s course. I notice the tires starting to get brown under the coating after about 4-5 weeks. Today I used wheel and tire cleaner to take off what’s was left. When I dried the tires you could see the broken remains of the ceramic coat. Pretty cool how it was cracked looking. I would have had to do two or three more cleanings to get it off. So I just went over it with Tire Shine. 

Question when you see tire blooming can you scrub with Rubber and tire cleaner to get the tires black again, or is the brown under the tire armor? I think it’s under the coating and to get it off you need to strip and reapply...

Pretty sure it's under the Tire Armor, so you'd have to scrub it away first. 

Also, to clarify, it's not a ceramic coating, it's an acrylic. Still a great product!

22 hours ago, Rb1274 said:

I realized my notifications weren't on so I wasn't seeing replies! I just use the wheel and tire cleaner to pull off the coating when it starts to wear. Just like when you first apply it and remove the tire blooming, it takes some scrubbing to really get the tire clean!

On 4/13/2020 at 7:39 AM, Kickerz71 said:

I gave the tires 2 coats, so far I would have preferred them to be more glossy. I used half the bottle so I'm hesitant to apply a third coat since it may get costly to coat the tires vs tire shine

Positive note, clean and dry to the touch. Now the test will be durability.

2 coats on tire, wheel was ceramic coated

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.4162c39eea9629d3108dc4c650bb2410.jpg

No coats on tire - Ceramic coated wheel

IMG_0178.thumb.jpg.057bb9031118d86914ecb705aa917233.jpg

When I did my first set of tires, they weren't actually mounted yet so I had time to be picky.  I did 4-5 coats on them to get the sheen I was looking for.  I'm sure every tire is different.  

I see a purpose for it if you live in a snowy rainy area. Tire shine basically comes completely off in the rain. Or if you were only able to do a wash when the weather is above freezing. Then it makes sense to do up your tires and have them looking good for 4-5 weeks. But So cal is too much effort when we can wash and reapply Tire shine each week.  I used it when we were getting all the rains a two months ago and it held up, but i was dreading the three scrubs per tire and three re applications to put it back on.

I applied Tire Armor back 0n January 13, 2020. Today is the first time I noticed it's finally starting to break down and lose it's brand new tire look. I only used 2 coating and before I did, I used Rubber and tire cleaner to fully clean my tires so I had a perfectly clean surface to work with. My tires are never very dirty as since new in 2017 I have cleaned them and kept them dressed a least 2 to 3 times a month. In the spring summer and fall I clean them every week. 

After the Tire Armor was applied I only had to use a microfiber towel and car wash soap to clean them. Dirt didn't stick to them very well so clean up after Tire Armor was awesome. I use a barrel brush and a micro fiber towel on my rims which are ceramic coated and I use a bucket with just water and car wash soap for cleaning them. About every so many months I'll spray some wheel cleaner on the brake calipers to clean them up as they get slightly dirty and not new looking.

After reading through this thread I see you need to use the Wheel and Tire cleaner to remove the old Tire Armor instead of Rubber and tire cleaner, is that correct? I just washed yesterday so next week I'll use the Wheel and tire cleaner as I gotta order more I'm low on it. I have Rubber and tire cleaner. 

One thing I wanted to point out is after you coat your tires with Tire Armor, trying to dress them afterwards even months later any tire dressing I have tried to put on top just slings off even if you let it dry overnight in your garage. The first time I applied tire dressing on top of Tire Armor I was feeling the need to have a slightly higher shine and figured it why not. My truck sat in the garage overnight after I applied it and then drove it the next day. I noticed all this light black smearing looking stuff on the bottom of my truck behind each wheel and then noticed the tires just looked as they do with Tire armor and not the dressing. 

I also tried to re apply Tire Armor about a month ago to give it a fresh look. I didn't scrub the tires with Rubber and tire cleaner or Wheel and tire cleaner as they are never dirty enough to waste those cleaners on them so I used my usual method of car wash soap and a micro fiber towel. I use  Car Shampoo to be exact unless I'm using Mega foam which I have 4 different car shampoo in my collection. The Tire armor didn't stick either as it also came off as the original coating repelled it.

Here is a picture of how they look all the time and recently. 

2EBCA40D-ACB7-415B-8309-FEBDDABEDD87.jpeg