Customer Service 866.965.0400

Boost Streaking

TR6speed

Question

I did the detail yesterday and applied the UV Ceramic Spray Coating.  Today I applied the Ceramic Boost.  When I backed it out into the sunlight I noticed some streaking on the hood.  It was not there yesterday when it only had the actual ceramic applied.  I tried to apply a little more boost to see if that would blend it in and it actually look worst now.  Any Ideas?  I may simply use the buffer and buffer the hood and reapply the ceramic the boost.  Not what I want to do but if that is the only out I guess That is what I will have to do.

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Spray it on,  wipe it down, then go over it with a CLEAN DRY towel and see if that helps you. 

That is how I did it on the original application today.  I tried to spray a little on the bad streak when discovered it this afternoon and it actually spread the streaks more.

I often get the Boost to streak, with no way to get the streaks off, I notice them much more on darker colors. I now dilute my Boost 50/50% with distilled water and lightly mist it onto a towel rather than spraying it onto the paint. I'll still buff the panel immediately after wiping it with the Boost misted towel.

I found there was no way to remove the streaks other than polishing them off.

Unfortunately I also get some streaky results with boost. Here's a few notes I've come up with when using Ceramic Boost:

- as @BRZN said, try spraying into the towel that way you have more control over where the product is being applied.

- Use less product than you think - Try using 1-2 sprays per panel, I find that sometimes, that will be enough to cover a full Door. If you find that you need more, only then spray more.

- Keep out of direct sun

- Work fast

- If I notice streaks directly after I apply CB (Like 5-10 minutes after), and I cant get them out with a towel or by applying more boost, I have had luck with Brilliant Glaze.

- If it's been more than 5-10 minutes when I notice the streaks, I've had luck with Revive Hand Polish, otherwise, Polishing is the only sure way to get them out.

- I always have at least 4 clean and dry microfibers at my disposal - This is probably due to my first few times of only using 1-2 towels and spraying entirely too much product. Since then I've changed my process and started using less product, but I always am ready with extra towels. Sometimes I need all 4. Sometimes I only need 2. If I'm applying with the wet application, I will surely go through 4 towels. If I'm applying dry, then I may only need the 2. If you're wiping and you notice your towel is still leaving a little bit of water along the edge, that means it's too saturated with water and/or product, and the towel needs to be flipped to another, dry side. If you can't find a dry side or a side that won't leave that little bit of moisture, then it's time to get a different clean and dry towel and that should do the trick.

^^ All this is to say that there's not necessarily a right answer; the process I use is dependent on the environment and other variables. It sounds like I am about to step into the ring against Ceramic Boost. Let me say that I am not, I would say I'm in CB's corner. I think the product is very good and very effective. It leaves an amazing finish, and has great protection! I'm just sharing that it took me a second to figure out how to get the results I wanted.

Thanks to all the replies.  As for temp., no it was in the low 80's here in Florida.  I did it in the garage not in the sun and the surface was cool.  I did use two single soft towels one to spread it and one to buff.  The only thing I did not do is to dilute it.   I am going to wash the wife's Equinox after breakfast with the Wash and Coat and see how that does.  This will be the first wash since applying the ceramic a few weeks ago.  I have use the Waterless Ceramic washup to now.  I will then pull the Corvette out and see if the streaking is gone.

I was challenged with CB 1.0 and streaking and quickly got in the habit of using the wet method and have continued with that method with CB 2.0.  The one time I did not use the wet method I had streaks and it took multiple towels to get it out before it set.   

For the side of the box of the F-150, I mist the box with water, about 3 squeezes for the side and then I do one long spray of CB going end to end with CB.  The I go after it with a towel and if the towel gets too wet or it start to streak, I toss the towel and grab a dry to keep going at it.  The wet towel can be used on the next panel to spread the product, but follow up with one that isn't very wet.  I usually go through 4 to 6 towels for the F-150 and 3-5 towels on the Terrain or Colorado. 

I cleared the streaking issue earlier today.  I just used the Ceramic waterless wash and a double soft towel.  Car was clean has not been ot of the garage since I applied the ceramic coating and then the boost.  Use my compressor to blow off any loose dust and then did the hood.  I am glad that cleared it up be cause I am heading to a car show first thing in the morning.