Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint correction issue on my Harley

ratpick

Question

Decided to start by testing on the back side of a broken saddlebag from my Harley touring bike, which is a hard plastic if that makes a difference. Paint in this area did have some imperfections in the clear from the factory, with small bumps in places that look like something could have landed on wet surface or wasn't cleaned properly--I suspect they weren't as concerned with this area since it isn't visible when bag is mounted.  I started by lightly wet sanding with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit in a cross hatch pattern until orange peel removed, and surface texture appeared even and even somewhat shiny and reflective when viewed at a low angle.  Then I hit it with Adam's mini (4") DA polisher with Adam's rubbing compound/microfiber pad, then Adam's rubbing compound/blue foam pad, and finally Adam's polishing compound/white foam pad. It looks absolutely beautiful with deep gloss and shine and no scratches, but I've got a problem in one specific area (sorry about pic--was difficult to show the issue around reflections since it's so glossy, and the white line is edge of my phone--can see problem adjacent and below).  Could I have cut through clear, or maybe exposed an issue with factory paint application?  Never noticed anything other than milky/white residue while sanding, and the finish seems too nice and glossy to not have some clear coat remaining...  Any suggestions and advice much appreciated!

IMG_20200223_153420237.jpg

IMG_20200223_141915336.jpg

6 answers to this question

Does it feel dull?  My guess is you did strike through the clear. Wet sanding and multiple steps of compound and polish can take off clear coat in a hurry. 

We sometimes forget that no paint job is perfect. We can cause damage chasing perfect. Know when to say when even though it’s difficult sometimes. 

49 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Does it feel dull?  My guess is you did strike through the clear. Wet sanding and multiple steps of compound and polish can take off clear coat in a hurry. 

We sometimes forget that no paint job is perfect. We can cause damage chasing perfect. Know when to say when even though it’s difficult sometimes. 

It looks just as glossy as the rest (note reflection over problem area) and feels smooth with no change from the rest... I don't know--I guess I thought it would be more obvious if I went through clear.  I'm gonna do another test on a metal part (unfortunately I have plenty of wrecked parts to test on) and maybe start with 1500 grit and see what I get.  Gonna be replacing all the body parts on bike with set of used black parts and I'd really like to be able to spruce them up well but I know with black I'll really need to have my technique sorted out first.  Any other thoughts?

4 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Is it a metal flake paint?

No--at least I wouldn't call it that. Definitely a lot of metallic though.  It does kind of look like the metallic came to the surface somehow, but I would've thought I'd have noticed some sort of imperfection in the first place--will definitely be paying more attention to initial state of paint on next trial run

Sounds like a multi part metal flake. Some paints use a base color. Then clear coat. Then metal flake (or metallic). Then more clear coat. 

You might have found a layer of metal flake. We did a custom painted Indian motorcycles. 

Ask me how I found out about that???  Went through and created what looked like an oil spot in the paint. Ended up getting it resprayed by the artist on my dime. 

You live and learn. 

4 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Sounds like a multi part metal flake. Some paints use a base color. Then clear coat. Then metal flake (or metallic). Then more clear coat. 

You might have found a layer of metal flake. We did a custom painted Indian motorcycles. 

Ask me how I found out about that???  Went through and created what looked like an oil spot in the paint. Ended up getting it resprayed by the artist on my dime. 

You live and learn. 

We sure do.  Yeah, sounds like it's some sort of snafu w/metallic, though I'm thinking it might just be the half assed job factory did spraying the hidden part of the bag where I tested--it really does have some nasty imperfections in the clear but to be fair I hadn't noticed in previous 10 years so I suppose I can't complain.  At least the black on the replacement parts I'll be installing (Harley "vivid black") doesn't have any metallic whatsoever, so hopefully I'll be okay if I can avoid swirls... Thanks for the input brother, much appreciated