Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protection for boat gelcoat

Delmar

Question

I am looking for protection for my boat’s gelcoat. I’m looking for the longest lasting protection and I’m thinking the ceramic products. Can you recommend a protection product for my gelcoat?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Hi Jody,

Great question! Our UV Ceramic Paint Coating Kit or UV Ceramic Wheel Coating Kit would provide the longest lasting protection out of all of the products that we offer; however, both of these options must be applied indoors and allowed to cure for 24 hours indoors - free of moisture, water, etc.

How large is the boat that you are detailing? If the boat is too large to fit in a garage and you're looking for a product that you can apply outside, I would recommend either our Ceramic Spray Coating or our Ceramic Liquid Wax. Both of those options should still provide several months of protection per application. Ceramic Spray Coating is a true ceramic coating, but in spray form, and only requires 4-6 hours of curing. I typically use 1-2oz of the bottle for vehicle, so one bottle should cover a boat a few times. Ceramic Liquid Wax is a synthetic cream liquid infused with ceramic, but applies more similarly to something like our Buttery Wax (very easy!)

With all of the ceramic products mentioned above, proper prep-work will also determine how well they bond and last on the surface, so we would recommend to first wash with either our blue Car Shampoo or Strip Wash (no protection in either), decontaminate with a clay bar or clay mitt, machine polish (optional), and then apply Surface Prep and finally the ceramic coating or ceramic-infused product.

29 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

Hi Jody,

Great question! Our UV Ceramic Paint Coating Kit or UV Ceramic Wheel Coating Kit would provide the longest lasting protection out of all of the products that we offer; however, both of these options must be applied indoors and allowed to cure for 24 hours indoors - free of moisture, water, etc.

How large is the boat that you are detailing? If the boat is too large to fit in a garage and you're looking for a product that you can apply outside, I would recommend either our Ceramic Spray Coating or our Ceramic Liquid Wax. Both of those options should still provide several months of protection per application. Ceramic Spray Coating is a true ceramic coating, but in spray form, and only requires 4-6 hours of curing. I typically use 1-2oz of the bottle for vehicle, so one bottle should cover a boat a few times. Ceramic Liquid Wax is a synthetic cream liquid infused with ceramic, but applies more similarly to something like our Buttery Wax (very easy!)

With all of the ceramic products mentioned above, proper prep-work will also determine how well they bond and last on the surface, so we would recommend to first wash with either our blue Car Shampoo or Strip Wash (no protection in either), decontaminate with a clay bar or clay mitt, machine polish (optional), and then apply Surface Prep and finally the ceramic coating or ceramic-infused product.

Thanks for the reply. The boat won’t fit in a garage but it is under a cover. Would that allow for the UV Cermamic Paint coating? It is a new boat so I don’t think compounding is necessary but I do plan on the other steps you mentioned. 

Is there a difference in durability of the ceramic spray coating and ceramic infused liquid wax?

Edited by Delmar
Additional question

9 minutes ago, Delmar said:

Thanks for the reply. The boat won’t fit in a garage but it is under a cover. Would that allow for the UV Cermamic Paint coating? It is a new boat so I don’t think compounding is necessary but I do plan on the other steps you mentioned. 

Is there a difference in durability of the ceramic spray coating and ceramic infused liquid wax?

If it's under a type of canopy or car port it might be possible, but we don't recommend it since you can still get moisture, dust, etc while it is curing. If it is a fabric type of cover for the whole boat, that may not allow it to breathe and cure properly either. 

Our Ceramic Spray Coating is rated up to 12 months per application on a vehicle. I like to apply it about 2-3 times per year on my vehicle though. I've seen right about 4 months on a friend's daily driver for Ceramic Liquid Wax before its water beading began to reduce 🙂

23 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

If it's under a type of canopy or car port it might be possible, but we don't recommend it since you can still get moisture, dust, etc while it is curing. If it is a fabric type of cover for the whole boat, that may not allow it to breathe and cure properly either. 

Our Ceramic Spray Coating is rated up to 12 months per application on a vehicle. I like to apply it about 2-3 times per year on my vehicle though. I've seen right about 4 months on a friend's daily driver for Ceramic Liquid Wax before its water beading began to reduce 🙂

Awesome, thanks. One more question, is there anything different I should do in the application process for gelcoat?

Edited by Delmar