Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic maintenance for black paint

Michael Cox

Question

Hello everyone! New to Adams Polishes... I just had a blast ceramic paint coating my 2020 black F150. The clay bar, polishes and ceramic application was super easy. My question is about maintaining it.

I garage my truck so I was thinking I would use CS3 to get the light dust off during the week, ceramic boost monthly then use the ceramic paint coating again around 6 months?

If the paint coating is a good idea at 6 month do you still run the clay bar over the remaining coating?

Thanks for the help gang!

- MC 

Edited by Michael Cox

18 answers to this question

Welcome. 

A properly installed ceramic coating should last longer than six months. So there’s no need to reapply that soon, especially with proper maintenance.

The number one reason coatings “fail,” isn’t failure at all. It’s contamination. Ceramics are not maintenance free, which you seem to get. 

We encourage our clients to come back yearly for maintenance service. Some come back more often for an abbreviated service. We will always clay the vehicle. Depending on the coating and condition we will polish and reinstall a top coat (many pro level coatings are a multiple part application). 

But your plan sounds solid and should make your coating last for years. Clay treatment on your vehicle is vital to keeping your coating functioning. 

1 hour ago, Michael Cox said:

Hello everyone! New to Adams Polishes... I just had a blast ceramic paint coating my 2020 black F150. The clay bar, polishes and ceramic application was super easy. My question is about maintaining it.

I garage my truck so I was thinking I would use CS3 to get the light dust off during the week, ceramic boost monthly then use the ceramic paint coating again around 6 months?

If the paint coating is a good idea at 6 month do you still run the clay bar over the remaining coating?

Thanks for the help gang!

- MC 

You should not need to apply the coating 6 months down the line.  With proper maintenance it will perform just fine for a year or two.  I say this because the paint will more than likely need a repolish not only to restore gloss but to remove any marring developed over that period of time and also road grime which can stain paint.  More readily seen on light colors.  At most a chemical decontamination wash every few months is a good idea.  I would not recommend claying as it has the potential to marr the surface and the way to fix that is polishing.  

Seeing as your truck is garaged contamination should be relatively light.  

If I had a black vehicle I would not touch it until its weekly wash.  The more one touches the paint the more chance of risking marring.  With that said most people like to constantly touch their paint and you plan sounds fine.  

33 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Welcome. 

A properly installed ceramic coating should last longer than six months. So there’s no need to reapply that soon, especially with proper maintenance.

The number one reason coatings “fail,” isn’t failure at all. It’s contamination. Ceramics are not maintenance free, which you seem to get. 

We encourage our clients to come back yearly for maintenance service. Some come back more often for an abbreviated service. We will always clay the vehicle. Depending on the coating and condition we will polish and reinstall a top coat (many pro level coatings are a multiple part application). 

But your plan sounds solid and should make your coating last for years. Clay treatment on your vehicle is vital to keeping your coating functioning. 

Thank you so much for the reply and your experience. I'll leave out re-paint coating and just work with CS3 and boost. Thanks again...

25 minutes ago, The Guz said:

You should not need to apply the coating 6 months down the line.  With proper maintenance it will perform just fine for a year or two.  I say this because the paint will more than likely need a repolish not only to restore gloss but to remove any marring developed over that period of time and also road grime which can stain paint.  More readily seen on light colors.  At most a chemical decontamination wash every few months is a good idea.  I would not recommend claying as it has the potential to marr the surface and the way to fix that is polishing.  

Seeing as your truck is garaged contamination should be relatively light.  

If I had a black vehicle I would not touch it until its weekly wash.  The more one touches the paint the more chance of risking marring.  With that said most people like to constantly touch their paint and you plan sounds fine.  

Thank you for replying so fast to my question. I will not re-ceramic paint coat as you've suggested. I also liked your idea of not touching the black more than I need to, so I'll save the CS3 until after each foam cannon, two bucket wash. The first wash I did I really liked using air to dry the truck. Thanks again! - MC

I'll jump in here with my .02, too.

Maintain with the CS3, Ceramic Waterless Wash, Ceramic Boost and use the Wash & Coat as your Car Shampoo when washing the vehicle. After a wash I'll clean all the jambs, by misting with Ceramic Waterless Wash and wiping down with either a Waterless Wash, or Edgeless Utility Towel.

At about every six month interval do the baggie test after a good wash and dry to feel for embedded contaminants. If they're there, clay is in order. I use Adam's Fine Grade clay on vehicles that are ceramic coated, and properly maintained irregardless of color. Don't skimp on the Detail Spray used as your clay lube. With the right claying interval (not much embedded surface contaminants), the right amount of lubrication, and the Fine Grade clay you shouldn't cause any marring.

If there is some marring, it should just be in limited locations, not the entire vehicle. Polish the marred areas and apply the Ceramic Spry Coating to this location.

8 hours ago, BRZN said:

I'll jump in here with my .02, too.

Maintain with the CS3, Ceramic Waterless Wash, Ceramic Boost and use the Wash & Coat as your Car Shampoo when washing the vehicle. After a wash I'll clean all the jambs, by misting with Ceramic Waterless Wash and wiping down with either a Waterless Wash, or Edgeless Utility Towel.

At about every six month interval do the baggie test after a good wash and dry to feel for embedded contaminants. If they're there, clay is in order. I use Adam's Fine Grade clay on vehicles that are ceramic coated, and properly maintained irregardless of color. Don't skimp on the Detail Spray used as your clay lube. With the right claying interval (not much embedded surface contaminants), the right amount of lubrication, and the Fine Grade clay you shouldn't cause any marring.

If there is some marring, it should just be in limited locations, not the entire vehicle. Polish the marred areas and apply the Ceramic Spry Coating to this location.

Thanks for your input to my question. At the moment I have the Ultra Foam but I like your idea about the Wash + Coat, so I'll do that after I use it up.

I'll definitely get the the Ceramic Waterless and Waterless Towels for the jambs.

I had a blast claying the truck and yes I used a ton of Detail Spray... Glad I got the gallon!!

Thanks again for your detail help. 

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Your Ceramic Coating  should last you years not months. As long as you are maintaining it with all of our Ceramic family of products. If anything at 6 months you could apply a coat of CSC. This will make your Coating even last longer.

Thanks for the help and reply Chris... I look forward to using the Ceramic family!

Just had my first drive in the rain today. I was so stoked to watch the water slide off. Also made me feel like the full day that it took me to clay, polish and coat the truck paid off huge!

Putting my next list of things I'm gonna need from you guys... I think I just got addicted. haha 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Just to clarify........you used the FULL Ceramic Coat and not the Ceramic Spray Coating right?

I used the Ceramic Paint Coating Kit after claying and polishing.

Just took my first drive in the rain. Water just rolled off... Really cool!

Thanks for your help!

This is a great thread! I have a black SUV that I'm moving to ceramic once the weather is a little bit better. Not doing the full ceramic paint coating but CSC instead simply because it looks easier :) I just ordered 64oz of Ceramic Boost so I can work that into the regular maintenance along with the CS3. By the way the comment above of not touching the black paint too much is a good one! 

1 hour ago, tomsch63 said:

This is a great thread! I have a black SUV that I'm moving to ceramic once the weather is a little bit better. Not doing the full ceramic paint coating but CSC instead simply because it looks easier :) I just ordered 64oz of Ceramic Boost so I can work that into the regular maintenance along with the CS3. By the way the comment above of not touching the black paint too much is a good one! 

Thanks for the comment... Today I got to see how well the Ceramic Paint Coating worked in the rain. I'm really happy. 

Moving forward I know that using the other products like CS3, Boost and Ceramic Waterless will just help my base coating.

You should consider the clay, polish and coating... My paint surface is so smooth it's crazy and I know it's really protected. Yes it did take me a really long day to get around the truck but since we are all instructed to stay in our houses because of this crazy virus I thought... Why not! haha

Thanks again for the comment.

4 hours ago, tomsch63 said:

I have a black Equinox and it looks great with just the Ceramic Spray Coating. 

62392170_10215951793246893_5042139043970678784_n.jpg

5 hours ago, tomsch63 said:

You should get results like this... Not coated... Just ceramic wax, boost and CS3 can make a big difference... 30639258_IMG_20200301_1810362.thumb.jpg.b4deddea17cff7080289919d3700a084.jpg

20 hours ago, shooterjgs said:

You should get results like this... Not coated... Just ceramic wax, boost and CS3 can make a big difference... 30639258_IMG_20200301_1810362.thumb.jpg.b4deddea17cff7080289919d3700a084.jpg

That is a sick ride! Nice job with the Ceramic Wax, Boost & CS3. I love that there are a lot of ways to get great results.

I'm addicted to detailing now......... Here is my ride after it rained yesterday. I got home and blew dry the truck only. This morning I got up and washed the wheels, wheel wells and front grill. The body has dust on it but it's supposed to rain again in a few days. It just shines way better than when I brought it home though. I'm looking forward to a good wash and finish with the Boost! Thanks for all the replies and help!! 

MC2020F150a.jpg

Edited by Michael Cox