Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rotary polishing

Ls1transam

Question

So I’ve been practicing with the rotary a lot since I’m off work and actually may lose my job because of this virus mess. But, who all uses the rotary on here? I have to say the more I use it the more I like it. On a couple panels of my truck I did a 2 step process with it. Cut and finish with a rotary and no holograms or buffer trials were left behind. I experimented and cut with the rotary and then finished with a DA. No 3 step process needed. So again, who else’s like the rotary? What are some of your go to pads and polish for cutting and finishing?

4 answers to this question

I have a nice Flex rotary polisher, it’s probably 4 years old and I have used it once. If that tells you anything. Our orbital polishers SK & SK Pro 15 mm. do such a great job there is no need for a rotary machine.
Have fun & watch your edges.

I started out with a Porter Cable. But the thing nearly wrecked my shoulders from the vibrations. So I quit using any machines for a while.  But when the Swirl Killers came out, Adam talked me back into it and I'm glad he did.  Great machines and a world of difference. 

On really hammered paint I'll sometimes start with my rotary, but always finish with a DA. I'll use a Lake Country Yellow pad, or their Purple wool foam blend pad. I also have quite a variety of various companies compounds and polishes to use with those pads, along with those offered by Adam's. Once you use the rotary on a dark colored vehicle pull it out into bright sun, there are swirl marks, and holograms; it's the nature of the machine. If you're really good with a rotary they can be minimal. but they're there.

My usual go to anymore for really hammered paint is the FLEX XC-3401, it's a direct drive DA. It's pretty much a rotary that also serves as a DA.

14 hours ago, BRZN said:

On really hammered paint I'll sometimes start with my rotary, but always finish with a DA. I'll use a Lake Country Yellow pad, or their Purple wool foam blend pad. I also have quite a variety of various companies compounds and polishes to use with those pads, along with those offered by Adam's. Once you use the rotary on a dark colored vehicle pull it out into bright sun, there are swirl marks, and holograms; it's the nature of the machine. If you're really good with a rotary they can be minimal. but they're there.

My usual go to anymore for really hammered paint is the FLEX XC-3401, it's a direct drive DA. It's pretty much a rotary that also serves as a DA.

I have a 3401 too. Love it.